Preemies
Options

New Preemie Mom

Bear with me, I don't remember all of my labor story...

On 12/6 I started bleeding so I was admitted for a possible abruption, got the steriod shots and was sent home two days later...and put on stick bedrest for the rest of the week, follow up appointment on 12/13, all day hoping the Dr will send me back to work on 12/14...

12/13 I went for the follow up appointment, BP was 114/110 and have 4+ protein in my urine (this means nothing to me at this time) my Dr sends me back to hospital for "observation" before I can get there and changed, I started seeing lots of "spots" and funny colors...the Dr getting off call, pulls up the recliner and starts chatting about everything under the sun, I told him that I couldn't see him anymore and that I was getting a headache (by the way, I have had a headache for the past week, just thought it was from laying around and my neck hurt, again, thought it was from just laying around)...he told me to take off my glasses and this was the last thing I remember until Wednesday (remember this was Monday).

Fast forward to Wednesday, my husband tells me that we have a beautiful baby girl (I was 29w6d preggo on Monday) and that she was fine and for me to thanks GOD that I had those shots the week before, because she wasn't on the vent...

He then tells me that I had a sezuire and they had to do an emergency C-section and take the baby to NICU...my neck still hurts and they are still checking my BP, but Dr says that my neck still hurts, b/c of the seziure...

When I walk down to NICU to see DD for the first time all the nurses are like, that's her, look at how good she is doing, ok, I still don't understand/realize what all has happened to me on Monday...which I learn from all the nurses during the rest of the week...

During my week stay at hospital I have had a EEG (to check brain activity) and a MRI of my brain, which showed some swelling, which Dr said that was normal after a seizure, only problem state of NC won't let you drive for 6 months after a seizure...but Dr said that I could be "re-evaluated" in 1 month and see if the swelling is gone and he can determine that everything was related to Pre-E...

DD has been visited by us every day, at least twice a day (being DH was off the last few weeks in Dec (again thank GOD for this)).  She has her ups and downs, which the nurses state is normal, which makes me sad that she can't have all good days and for them to tell us that she can't be held today because she is too tired.  It's hard not to be able to hold her daily or be able to run her of hold her hand, they say that it overstimulates her and stresses her out...

She was born at 2lbs8oz, dropped down to 2lbs4oz, and has gained up to 2lbs7oz...again thank GOD for this improvement.

She has had to go back on her O2, but she just needs help breathing as her lungs little 'brocolli' aren't fully developed...

She has gone from 2ml of breast milk to 22ml and 2 added caleries!!!

So after all my praises, I am still worried, but I guess that is to be expected...

Questions:  how many preemie clothes do I need when she comes home, diapers, what size, preemie or newborn??

What do I need to register for, since I haven't had any showers yet...do I need to still have showers??

What else do I need to know/have at home when DD comes home??

Any other advise??

Re: New Preemie Mom

• Options
    Wow, I am so happy for you and your DD and I'm glad everything's alright. I don't really have any advice on clothes to have when they come home b/c DS is still in the NICU. The NICU's been using the Pamper's New Baby and they work pretty well, haven't had any issues with them but if you want to try preemie out go ahead. Babies poop a lot, especially if breastfed so be prepared to use 10+ diapers a day. DS was on too many calories and started continuously pooping so he went through a lot of diapers but the NICU wouldn't change him all the time because it woke him up so they'd just leave it. I don't know how I still feel about that or if that's an ok thing to do. You can still have a shower, there's no problem with that. When the baby first comes home you'll need diapers, wipes, clothes, a car seat approved for her weight, and a bed - we have a crib and bassinet (he'll be sleeping with us in our room that's why we have one). I have no clue where I'll be putting him when I'm not holding him but we have infant chairs too. Oh! My MIL gave me a thermometer pacifier for Christmas. You also want to have all the hygienic supplies - shampoo, lotion, baby oil, diaper rash cream and any medical stuff too - gas drops, etc.
    Jackson W. Holler born 12/9/10 at 7:52 a.m. He is my little miracle baby!! pPROM'ed at 23w1d and delivered at 34w Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Wow! You have been through a lot. I'll try to answer some of your questions as best I can. I would not buy any preemie clothes. Most likely she will be in newborn sizes by the time she is home. If not, she will grow so quickly that you can get by with newborn for a couple weeks. Same goes for diapers. As far as the showers go, you will eventually need everything that you would have needed for a term baby. I know that Target and Babies R Us have very comprehensive lists when you go in to start a registry.

If you haven't already, but sure to reach out to your hospital's social worker. Your daughter may qualify for Social Security benefits based on her birth weight. Take lots of pictures. Everyday, even if it is a bad day. Take pictures of the nurses, Dr.s and RT's. I kept of a journal and tried to write in a few times a week. Keep track of her weights, highs and lows of the week, etc. 

This is a great group of ladies who have just about seen it all. I hope your DD has a short and uneventful NICU stay. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First, congratulations on Kember! I am really sorry that you had to go through the traumatic ordeal you've experienced. Prematurity and NICU time is so very tough. I am glad your recovery seems to be going well.

With respect to preemie clothes/diapers, it will really depend on your baby. Some babies come home at 4.5 lbs and still need preemie diapers and preemie clothes for another month or more. Some come home over 5 lbs and will be in newborn diapers. We were home at 5lbs 5oz and skipped preemie outfits, just swam in newborn for a few weeks and then they really fit for another 2-3 months. You can always buy diapers at the last second, so I wouldn't buy ANY preemie diapers right now, just some newborn sized ones. I'd probably buy some preemie outfits b/c they'll let you dress her in the NICU eventually so even if you don't use them when she's home, you could use them while in the NICU.

As PPs said, register for everything you had already planned to register for. Specifically, get an Angel Care monitor rather than a normal one (alarms if they're not breathing while sleeping in the crib, major piece of mind for preemie moms).

I'd also recommend investing in a Moby wrap and/or a good baby carrier like an Ergo or mei tai. Babywearing is really comforting for preemies (like kangaroo care), good for your bonding, and will help you keep her shielded from prying, dirty hands when you're around other people.

Advice: do they communicate well with you about her care times? Have you asked about getting to bathe her when she's allowed to have baths? Are you doing kangaroo care - if not, ask when they will let you. Basically, ask to be as involved as you'd like. I was only in the NICU for a short stay (15 days) but it wasn't even until the later days that I really knew all of the ways I could interact with my baby and I wish I had asked more and earlier about them. Hang in there! Post here for advice or support, and you can come to our private preemie board (link in my siggy) for more help too.

• Options

He came home when he was almost 6 lbs.  So we only stocked up on newborn diapers.  I did buy him some newborn outfits for the hospital and for when he came home. Carter's, Gymoboree, and BabyGap have really cute baby outfits. 

My friends at my work and at my church community group postponed my baby showers.  I had my church community group baby shower the day before baby came home.   And I had my work baby shower a couple of weeks after baby came home. 

I really like my Baby Einstein bouncer--and baby could use it since he was almost 6 lbs when he came home--he loves that--and he likes to sleep in it--if he is fussy my husband will bounce him in it, and it will calm him down.  And I really like my Homedics Lullaby Soundspa Relaxation Machine--3 lullabies and 3 natural sounds--helps baby and you to get some sleep. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options

I have lots of words of encouragement for you. My son was born at 28 weeks exactly. Same weight though. He is now 7 and doing great. The NICU time is stressfull,lots of ups and downs. I would suggest getting a journal for you and one for the NICU nurses. Ask them to write little bits about her day.I wish I had that. Journal for you to write your thoughts, whats going on in your view ect. Lots and Lots of pics..

You will need everything a term baby needs eventually..as for preemie clothes I wouldnt buy too many. I baught a few to stay at the hospital once my son was able to wear for different things. Then once he was close to coming home I purchased a few onsies, jammies and socks. He was born in June. He only wore preemie clothes for a few weeks after the hospital and we probably could have gotten away w/newborn clothes.

Talk w/the hospital social worker, We got him on social security due to his preemie and weight, which intern got him much needed medicaid and lots of follow up for two years.

You did great everything that you could have, your doctors were watching you. It will all work out. PM me if you need to talk. I am a great listener and have been there

• Options

Thanks for all the information ladies, today was a good funny day, Kimber pulled out of canula and her feeding tube, when I walked in to visit, her nurse had just left for lunch, so she knew it was perfect time to pull everything out...good thing her stats were good while she was "undone"

It is a very stressful time, we are taking lots and lots of pics, our NICU actually gives you a preemie journal to keep up with weights, etc, I will start keeping better notes on her progress, hubby goes back to work next week, so I will have time to journal.

thanks again for all the information!!

I will speak with the social worker next week, as tomorrow is a holiday...please say a prayer for our NICU department, they are booked with 16 babies, all the new preemies are having to be shipped out to another hospital, which makes me very sad, being those parents have to travel over 2 hours to see thier baby.

• Options

I just have to say wow.  Your story sounds so much like mine and even has almost the same timeline!  I believe you were due one day after me, I was originally due Feb 19.  On 12/6 I was admitted to the hospital after what we though was severe reflux.  Turned out to be severe PreE and HELLP Syndrome.  My BP was all over the place and several times hit 200's/100's.  They put me on mag and aren't sure how I didn't have a seizure or stroke.  I had an emergency c-section on 12/9 to my 29w6d baby boy Graham.  He was 2lbs 7oz.  Since I got both steroid shots in he didn't have to be on a vent either.

I don't really have any advice for you since we're going through the same thing at the same time, but I'll keep you in my prayers because I know what you're going through.  If you ever want to talk don't hesitate to PM me, it might help to just talk to someone who's going through the same thing.

Hope your little girl continues to get stronger!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"