June 2011 Moms

Baby's sex not checked until 22 weeks?

I'm 16 weeks and I just found out yesterday that my doctor's office doesn't check the sex of the baby until 22 to 24 weeks!  I had been so excited to find out this month what it is going to be and now I just feel like I got told to wait and the door got slammed in my face.

I will be happy with the sex either way...But I am so excited I want to know now! I want to start on the nursey and everything...I'm just not a fan of unisex colors. (I hate orange and yellow, and green is debateable.) Further more, if it is a girl, I have enough clothes for twins from my first daughter. So if it's a boy I need to be more careful with my budget.

The idea of waiting TWO months from now makes me want to run out and find a new doctor.

Is it usual for a doctor to wait so long for the ultrasound??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby's sex not checked until 22 weeks?

• Its odd to me that they would make you wait that long.  Most doctors say 18-20.  Every doctor is different, but if you really wanna know maybe ask a different doctor or beg yours!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've heard of some doctors waiting until 22 weeks.  Actually, I've heard some women say they prefer having theirs done around 22 weeks because the baby is that much more bigger and more developed.  So, maybe it's a good thing!
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think its all that unusual. My office doesn't do the ultrasound until 20 weeks. But it still sucks having to wait!
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • When I made my appointment, they said they do the anatomy scan between 19-22 weeks. I wanted to find out as soon as possible, but the schedule was already pretty booked so we're having our at close to 21 weeks on Valentine's Day.
    MPZ born June 2011
    TTC #2 ... Cycle 1-3: IUI = BFN | Cycle 4: IVF ... canceled but 3 snow babies
    Cycle 5: FET .. BFP! | EDD - 3/15/2014
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The anatomy scan is typically done between 18-22 weeks. I have heard that some doctors wait a little longer to give all the vital organs and  other body parts a chance to develop a bit more.

Keep in mind this mind pregnancy ultrasound is a medial test to check on the overall health of your baby.  The doctor is not at all concerned about the sex of your child. Finding this out during your scan is a bonus for the parents to be.  

ETA: I have no idea how I got to the June Board....I thought I was on 2nd tri! Sorry! 

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm not getting my level 2 U/S until 22 weeks.    That's when the place I'm going to had an available appt.   And I made the appt almost 2 weeks ago so it's not like until I waited to the last minute!    I made it right after they finished my NT scan.   
  • My doctor's office usually doesn't do any ultrasounds until 18-20 weeks. I was lucky and got one at 14 weeks though. I will get another one at 20 weeks but we're not finding out the gender.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you really want to know get an elective ultrasound they can predict the gender about 16 weeks and up
  • Our dr with DS wouldn't do them until AT LEAST 22 weeks. I had to beg, plead and kill to get it at 21.5 weeks because I was going out of town. My dr this time does it at 18-20 weeks.
    imageimageimage
  • Seems a little long to wait... You can do what I did and tell them that you may be moving across the country and are concerned about finding the 'right' doctor and want to make sure the baby and your body are ok before you make the long trip in the car.  This actually is the situation for us, but they can't hold it against you if your plans just so happen to fall through.  I use a midwife practice so they don't like handing out ultrasounds and once I told them our plans they found an appointment for us right away!  I wouldn't switch if you generally like the practice though, it is hard finding someone that has the same ideas as you regarding the entire pregnancy/delivery... IMO.  Good luck!

• You could always pay for an elective ultrasound. Sorry you have to wait so long!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mr Dr said if I wanted to try to find out the sex they would schedule the anatomy scan for about 22 wks. I think they can see it earlier but maybe things are harder to see earlier on?
    Anniversary
    *photo removed*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"