January 2011 Moms

KC_13 & anyone w/planned c/s

Hey! I saw you posted about having a planned c-section and I have a question for you. Kind of personal...if you'd rather discuss over PM we can. But my question is, are you going to be taking anything to calm your nerves the day of?  Did you with your first (or was that not planned)? 

My dr. prescribed me something to calm my nerves, its a Class D I just learned from the pharmacist today when I picked it up. I'm not sure if I should take it. This is my first and I will be a nervous wreck which is why my dr. gave it to me in the first place. I didn't even ask her for it - but she's known me over 25 years and I know wouldn't put me in a bad spot...but I'm curious. I plan to discuss w/her more at length during my appointment Tuesday (c/s on Thursday).

Anyone else who reads this and has a planned c/s feel free to comment as well.

TIA! 

Re: KC_13 & anyone w/planned c/s

• I just had a scheduled c-section this morning. The anesthesiologist gave me something in my IV to calm my nerves before he administered the spinal.

My c-section was at 9:30am and you can't take anything for 8 hours before. I did take a sleeping pill so I would get some sleep the night before about 12 hours before.

Other than that, I couldn't take or be administered anything including water.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • First, congratulations!!

Second, my dr. said I could take this pill with 1 sip of water that morning.

I will ask her about something for my IV instead. I'm so reluctant about the pill and I guess I should really follow my instincts on this...

Although, I'm interested to see if others had a similar experience as you. Thank you!!

• Loading the player...
  • I was super nervous too before my planned c/s with my ds.  He was breech so I had a few weeks to get all worked up about the surgery! My dr didn't offer me anything, but I told the anesthesiologist that I was super nervous.  I don't think he put anything in my IV until the baby was actually out, but I definitely felt more 'relaxed' once baby was out.  He never specifically told me what he put in my IV though. If your dr feels like it's safe for you then you should trust your dr; however, it if you are just going to get worked up about it harming your baby..I would just wait and ask the anesthesiologist to give you something either during the c/s if you start getting really bad or soon after the baby is out.
  • I have a scheduled c/s on the 13th. I'm seriously freaked out by it and I already have an anxiety disorder.

I was going to ask my OB about taking something and then I thought about it, and decided against it. Most of those drugs like Xanax make me dopey. I don't want to be all doped up for the birth of my baby, so I'm going to go old school and try some meditation relaxation techniques. I guess if I was really freaking out about it when it was happening, I would tell the doctor and let them decide whats best. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I have a scheduled c/s on 1/5. I am pretty nervous, but I'm trying to avoid any extra meds as I'd like to feel like "myself" as much as possible during the birth (under the circumstances).  Since I'm sure they'll administer painkillers after the surgery, I figure I'll already be drugged up enough once LO arrives.

This may all change come Wednesday, depending on my nerves!   

• I don't mind discussing. :)

I didn't take anything to calm my nerves the first time and will not this time as well. With my DS, I had a c-section and was scared as hell. However, everything happened so quickly that I didn't have time to really process what was happening. I'm not really nervous because I know what to expect this time, so I'm in a different situation. It's honestly not all that bad. In terms of the medication, they may be able to give you something in the IV, but at that point you might not need it. You're going to be so pumped with adreneline over the excitement of meeting your baby that I bet you find a lot of your fears go away while it's happening. I'd try to avoid taking a class D drug if possible.

Nothing about the surgery prep is anything to be nervous about (although I'm sure that's easier said than done!). They put a catheter in (doesn't hurt at all and just feels weird!), they shave the area for the incision, and put on these special knee length socks to prevent blood clots in your legs. In the OR, they do the spinal. I'm terrified of needles, and it wasnt bad at all because you don't see anything. I didn't even feel anything either! There was a little pinch when they put the numbing medication in. I bent over and squeezed a pillow for dear life waiting for the pain. I never felt anything and when the anasthesiologist said he was done, I said "seriously?" The surgery itself is a little weird-you feel a lot of pressure (but not pain) while they're pulling and tugging. You don't really feel much in the way of pain or discomfort on the first day, probably because they keep a good amount of pain medication in you and you're so focused on the baby. :) 

The day after will be rough, I'm not going to lie, but it gets easier everyday. I thought my recovery from my emergency one was great, and the recovery from a planned c-section is generally even easier since your body did not endure labor first.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am having a planned c-section Monday and while I am feeling some anxiety I am not going to take anything.  I will be home alone the night before - DH is working night shift and taking off early to drive me to hospital and DS is going to spend night with my parents so he does not have to get up so early and sit by himself in the waiting room (he is almost 14yo) for 3 or more hours.  I know that will give me lots of time to get worked up.  Will try to get to bed early since I need to be up around 4:15am to shower with the special wash they gave me and get dressed so I will be ready when DH comes home to take his shower and for us to head to hospital. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCaniacMom:

I am having a planned c-section Monday and while I am feeling some anxiety I am not going to take anything.  I will be home alone the night before - DH is working night shift and taking off early to drive me to hospital and DS is going to spend night with my parents so he does not have to get up so early and sit by himself in the waiting room (he is almost 14yo) for 3 or more hours.  I know that will give me lots of time to get worked up.  Will try to get to bed early since I need to be up around 4:15am to shower with the special wash they gave me and get dressed so I will be ready when DH comes home to take his shower and for us to head to hospital. 

What's the special wash about?
  • My c/s was scheduled for 1/5 and I was nervous but read up a lot on it and asked lots of questions....the day after scheduling my c-section (12/21) I started leaking AF, I went to the hospital and got checked and seen at 7:45 pm and was told they would do my c/s that night at 9pm.  I really didn't have a second to be nervous...walking into the operating room was a little weird but I think I was so shocked that I was going to be seeing my little girl in a matter of minutes that I couldn't think of anything else.  I was shocked how calm I was through the whole process but it helped me to ask lots of questions and all the nurses and my Dr made me feel more relaxed.

The whole experience was great and I'm actually glad I went a earlier then my schedule c/s b/c I didn't have time to think about it.  Good luck and if I went to my scheduled date I was going to ask for something to calm me if it was ok and safe but I really didn't need it.  I just kep thinking of the fact that I was about to meet my little girl

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"