D.C. Area Babies

Maternity Shopping

So far I've hit the following stores.  Have I missed anything local?  I can't believe there's only one maternity boutique in the whole DC Metropolitan area.  Are there any others I missed?  Hope this is helpful for anyone else who is starting their shopping.

Target (Potomac Yards)-BUST

Appleseed (Alexandria)-Pricey but picked up a couple of items

Macy's (Motherhood & Pea in a Pod)-Small area but large selection and great sales help-Picked up about 4 pairs of pants and tops a winter coat and a bunch of tanks, a couple of cute tops for dressing up

Online Old Navy & Gap-Returned everything but will order a new bunch of items now that I've actually tried stuff on in store and know my style

Online Nordstrom-Bought & returned one dress, but will order a few more options.  Most were pricer but had a few items on sale.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Maternity Shopping

• I found a lot of cute things with the tag still on them on eBay :-) Mainly Gap pants but they were all under $15.

Also, I think Ann Taylor Loft has maternity clothes back online.

• Kohl's has a tiny section but I was able to get some good basics from there.

I way, way overbought in maternity clothes. If I were you, I'd wait until you have a bit more belly to really get in to buying things. I bought a lot of stuff on clearance before I needed it and barely wore it when the time came. Plus, it was frustrating to try things on that were intended for big bellys and just looked schlumpy before you had said belly.  

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Both JC Penney and Kohls have small but useful maternity collections.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • My first pregnancy I bought a lot of Loft and Gap, this pregnancy I shopped more Old Navy/Target and also Macy's for Motherhood since they have a very reasonable return policy unlike Motherhood which has a terrible one.  There is a huge quality difference if it matters to you but everything has lasted till the end and most will be fine through another child. 
  • I'm showing a little bit but feel like I just look fat in my non-maternity clothes.
  • I got maternity clothes mostly from Motherhood, Target, Gap Maternity and Old Navy maternity. I also got a pair of pants and maternity sweater from Kohls, which I got a lot of use out of. My favorite pair of mat. Pants and jeans came from the gap. The pants are the modern boot cut and were so flattering. The skinny jeans I got from there were awesome. I also lived in a pair of target Liz Lange denim capris and boot cut jeans. Old navy online was good for sweaters and tees and they almost always have a sale. Be careful, though, because i overbought a good bit. I also got some non-maternity tops and cardis, sometimes in larger sizes, sometimes not. And I'm still wearing them at 34 weeks. I started showing at about 14 weeks and needed the belly band from about 12 weeks until I gave in and got all maternity pants at about 20 weeks. I did have one pair of non-maternity pants I wore with a belly band until 24 weeks. I am looking forward to a non-maternity wardrobe for sure, but there are a few things i really liked (like the gap pants).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My most comfortable maternity jeans are from JCP (Full panel, straight leg, dark wash).  I like my ON skinny jeans and Gap for work pants. 

H&M in DC has a decent maternity section.  The one at Dulles isn't as good.  Though they have a lot of tunic length stuff that works in their regular women's.  I also got some cute shirts from Charlotte Russe that are tunic length.

At this point in my pregnancy and when I was pregnant w/DD, anything on my belly that feels tight is super uncomfortable.  I can only tolerate full panel pants or dresses.  I have a few ON dresses that I can mix and match with colored tights and heels or tall boots.

imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• I got a lot of my pants from Unique Thrift or Value Village - if you are willing to dig, you can find brand names for super cheap, and very gently used.  I even found a pair of Gap maternity pants with the tags still on for $4.99.

Otherwise, I stuck to Target, and treated myself at the Gap Maternity store when I was on a business trip to Chicago.

But like PP said, don't overshop now.  I've been amazed at how I can get by with such a small/limited wardrobe.

• Wiggle Room in Bethesda is a great maternity and baby consignment shop.  The price tags also have the date when they'll mark the item down again and the price it will be so if you like something but don't want to spend quite that much you can wait (and hope it's still there).  They had everything from casual to work stuff and I thought it was really helpful when I needed hard to find or more expensive items like a dress for a black tie wedding. I also got a gently used Baby Bjorn there for $15.  

Ditto PP on Old Navy, Kohls and Target - that's where I found most of my tops.  I got a few pair of work pants at Gap and Motherhood - once I knew my size I'd be on the lookout for online sales and got much better deals that way rather than in-store. Don't forget to google for coupon codes! 

• Bellies and Babies Consignment in Del Ray, VA was great! I got a bunch of pants, shirts and sweaters when I was in my 2nd trimester and I'm still wearing everything. They just opened but their selection was really good. The owner was very helpful and I was in and out in less than an hour. I got some really nice, expensive brand maternity clothes for about 1/3 of the original price and everything was in good shape. https://www.belliesbabies.com Oh, and you can browse through their inventory on their website too.

• Kid to Kid in Centreville sells consignment maternity clothes. Ross stores also tend to have a very small but cheap selection.
  • imageRomeRomance06:

Bellies and Babies Consignment in Del Ray, VA was great! I got a bunch of pants, shirts and sweaters when I was in my 2nd trimester and I'm still wearing everything. They just opened but their selection was really good. The owner was very helpful and I was in and out in less than an hour. I got some really nice, expensive brand maternity clothes for about 1/3 of the original price and everything was in good shape. https://www.belliesbabies.com Oh, and you can browse through their inventory on their website too.

I was going to suggest this as well. Never been inside since I am not PG, but I walk past there frequently, and I usually think the stuff in the window is cute.

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageRomeRomance06:

Bellies and Babies Consignment in Del Ray, VA was great! I got a bunch of pants, shirts and sweaters when I was in my 2nd trimester and I'm still wearing everything. They just opened but their selection was really good. The owner was very helpful and I was in and out in less than an hour. I got some really nice, expensive brand maternity clothes for about 1/3 of the original price and everything was in good shape. https://www.belliesbabies.com Oh, and you can browse through their inventory on their website too.

I got some nice things there the other day

• There is a Desination Maternity in the Montgomery Mall in Bethesda.  I went in to browse but didn't buy anything because I am not quite far along enough yet for maternity clothes.  Cute clothes and other goodies. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"