Babies on the Brain

Will a pediatrician write a parent a work note?

So I'm pretty sure that if I miss anymore work unexcused, I may be jobless. Between me being sick and Jack being sick and crazy weather, I've missed more work than I should.

Now Jack has a fever and we called the pedi and she said if he still has the fever tomorrow night, then we need to call and make an appointment for Monday.  If we have to do that, I'll have to miss work again.  

DH is in school full-time for a new job, and he absolutely can not miss a day.  I'm not terribly attached to my job, but I'd like to keep it for a few more months, until DH starts getting a paycheck. So will a pediatrician write a parent an excuse from work note?

If I have to miss work, oh well. I'm more concerned with my kid's health than my piddly paycheck, but I would also like to keep my piddly paycheck for a couple more months.

Batman likes to watch cartoons on the weekends. Whatever.

"I'll gladly take cold sores over eye herpes" -ElieFin
"Unicorn glitter gives me UTIs." -Leila'sMommy

Re: Will a pediatrician write a parent a work note?

• I don't see why they wouldn't if you explain the situation.

Also, if you have an urgent care place nearby, maybe you could take him there tomorrow if he still has a fever instead of waiting until Monday and missing more work. 

• Lambie's pedi refused but it really doesn't hurt to ask.

Just explain the situation and ask for a note that excuses you from work for medical reasons related to your child.

• Loading the player...
  • I have no actually knowledge, but I imagine that if you explained the situation they would.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Um, fmla?  I'll admit I don't know all of the details when related to taking care of kids, but I know when I nannied before, my employer was *always* using fmla time when the kids were sick (even though she kept me there so she could nap while I watched the kids, but that's besides the point).  

I'd think if you had documented proof that your child was sick (which the pedi should be able to give you, even if it wasn't necessarily a "work excuse note") it would be illegal to fire you. Unless you'd used up all your time already.  Of course, doesn't mean they wouldn't find another reason to fire you later--- :shrugs: : 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • We give parents a work note all the time in the ER. I would side eye any pedi that didn't. If they won't give you a note specifically, ask for a general note that your kid was seen - say it's for daycare or school or whatnot. Your work should accept that. 

And honestly, if my job was on the line? I would seriously be forging some notes from my home computer. It may be unethical, but I think not giving work notes to parents for reasonable excuses is way more unethical.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FMLA- covers up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off to care for a newborn child within 1 year.  So if you took 12 weeks or more off for maternity leave than you have already used FMLA for a year.  After that, it only covers time off for a serious health condition.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • Thanks ladies!

The FMLA thing... I'm fairly certain I haven't been where I'm at long enough to qualify.  I'll recheck though, so thanks for the idea!

• imagePubStar09:

Thanks ladies!

The FMLA thing... I'm fairly certain I haven't been where I'm at long enough to qualify.  I'll recheck though, so thanks for the idea!

You have to be employed with the company for 1 year.  You don't have to be in a position that long.  

Your pedi should give you a note.  IF your company fires you over taking care of your child, then they aren't worth working for.  

• imageMysterious_wife:
    imagePubStar09:

Thanks ladies!

You have to be employed with the company for 1 year.  You don't have to be in a position that long.  

Your pedi should give you a note.  IF your company fires you over taking care of your child, then they aren't worth working for.  

Yeah, I've only been there since September. We've been sick a lot this winter. Embarrassed

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"