January 2011 Moms
Options

Confession...

I seem like I am ready and have everything under control...

....but on the inside i am FREAKING OUT! This is my first child and I never really babysat as a teenager or had any younger sibilings.. I mean, I don't even think I remember how to change a diaper (it's a no-brainer, i know, but still, even that scares me )

It's getting to the point where I am so nervous/anxious that I can't sleep at night, and I am having dreams that I go into labor!

at the same time, reading about everyone's birth stories and how sweet thier LO is, makes me excited!

OH HORMONES!

Photobucket Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Beautiful pictures taken by the very talented Kaper

Re: Confession...

• Options

Same here! lol.

Physically, everything is done and ready to go. Mentally...I've decided that you're never truly prepared to take on raising a child! So many factors...you just have to decide to go with it and figure it all out along the way! ;o) 

I never had small kids/babies around me either, growing up...never babysat, never oggled and melted over other people's babies, but yours is yours - and that alone makes it completely different than any of those other experiences anyways!

So! We will be fine! ;o) Have fun falling in love and finding your own groove!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagemjlewis101:

Same here! lol.

Physically, everything is done and ready to go. Mentally...I've decided that you're never truly prepared to take on raising a child! So many factors...you just have to decide to go with it and figure it all out along the way! ;o) 

I never had small kids/babies around me either, growing up...never babysat, never oggled and melted over other people's babies, but yours is yours - and that alone makes it completely different than any of those other experiences anyways!

I still feel this way everyday with my 2 year old.  You really do figure it all out as you go along.  In some ways, I think the unknown might be better because I had ridiculous expectations of myself the first time around and was bummed when I couldn't meet them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemjlewis101:

Same here! lol.

so true! this helps!

Photobucket Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers Beautiful pictures taken by the very talented Kaper
  • Options
    I promise, you'll survive and it will be crazy how instinctual taking care of a baby is. I never had even been around babies before my DS was born. I had held a few babies here and there, but never changed a diaper or babysat ever. My DH had held a baby once (that was 3 months old) and that was his experience with kids-we both didnt have younger siblings or friends that had kids before us. To say we were both completely inexperienced was an understatement. It comes to you really easily (and the nurses in the hospital teach you all the fun stuff like changing diapers/swaddling/etc). :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've been around babies a LOT and DH has a good amount of experience and lots of experience with little kids. But it doesn't really matter - it's still crazy to think that we're going to be taking care of this kid ALL the time. I'm not at all nervous about watching a baby for a few days - but this one is all ours. That's totally different.

Also, my friend gave me 85 books about taking care of baby. I looked through a Dr Sears book, a Ferber book and the Baby Whisperer. Each one says something different and supports what they say. I realized that we just have to do what comes naturally and do the best we can.

At least the diaper changing and bathing (I am so freaked out about bathing babies!) can be taught! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options
    imageRedZee:

I've been around babies a LOT and DH has a good amount of experience and lots of experience with little kids. But it doesn't really matter - it's still crazy to think that we're going to be taking care of this kid ALL the time. I'm not at all nervous about watching a baby for a few days - but this one is all ours. That's totally different.

Also, my friend gave me 85 books about taking care of baby. I looked through a Dr Sears book, a Ferber book and the Baby Whisperer. Each one says something different and supports what they say. I realized that we just have to do what comes naturally and do the best we can.

At least the diaper changing and bathing (I am so freaked out about bathing babies!) can be taught! :)

DH says all the reading im doing is just stressing me out more, and I only have about 3 books! lol. I am so thankful that God made us natural mommies and instincts will kick in the minute we hear LO's cry.

• Options

Don't worry...I promise you'll take to it right off. DH and I were the same way leading up to our little guy. I kept saying how scary it is that its more difficult for me to decide to go SCUBA diving than it is to decide to have, bring home, and raise a child. I'd never really taken care of or spent any significant time with an infant. But as soon as he was born it didn't seem so scary. DH and I just kept saying "he's not as fragile as we thought". When its yours it just seems like you do what you have to do and you don't think twice about it. The stuff that we thought would be gross doesn't seem so bad (we've been peed on quite a few times), and the things we thought would be scary you just take a deep breath and do it.

As far as reading books, it really helped me a lot. I felt better knowing we at least had potential solutions to problems. Even if they didn't work for DS we at least had somewhere to start.

You'll be fine! If I can do it you can do it!

imageimageimage
                                     **DS 12/17/10** **#2 Due 2/14/15**

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That is so normal, especially with your first.  I remember feeling the same way, but once the baby arrives everything just sort of clicks.  With this one I am a little nervous about having a baby boy and not a baby girl, and how I'm going to handle three all under the age of 4 1/2 but I know from the last two that once he gets here it will all figure its self out.
  • Options
    You're not alone. I am freaked too!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"