Stay at Home Moms
Options

When did you switch from a convertible to a booster?

DS still fits pretty well in his convertible but now that he has to wear a winter coat it's getting pretty snug... His head is a couple inches away from the top of it, I'm wondering if we should start looking to get him a booster? We chose a Chicco Coccoro for him because DH and I both have smallish sedans, but now I'm thinking we should have gotten him something bigger. Thoughts?
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When did you switch from a convertible to a booster?

• Options
    I would go with something like the Graco nautilus or the britax. My daughter is 4 years old and will remain in a harness car seat as long as she can fit in one. At your childs he should remain in a harnessed car seat.
  • Options

I agree with the PP your LO is too young to move to a booster. 

You also should not put a winter coat on your LO when he is strapped into his car seat. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The rule of thumb for a booster seat is 4 years old and 40 lbs.

My DD#1 is 5YO and is not 40lbs yet, and is not in a booster. She's still in a convertible. Our convertibles (Britax) go up to 65lbs so I'm not worried. My ped said not to worry about the height. It's the weight that's the bigger deal.

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    I guess I was under the impression that some boosters had straps as well. I should probably rephrase my question to if I should get him a bigger convertible seat. He's only 19 months and is 30lbs and 34" tall...
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yes, I would get a larger carseat.

Some seats promote themselves as boosters / get refered to as boosters, but still have a 5pt harness - like the Nautilis (no idea on its weight minimums though).

But a true booster uses the cars seatbelt... which of course you can slip out of if you have a mind to... so that's why 4yo is the bare minimum for using one (not that I personally have ever met a 4yo who would always stay in their seatbelt if they could get out of it and therefore all the 4yos I know are in 5pt harness seats).

And ditto the no winter coat thing. A fleece jacket is ok. Anything bulkier is not. Basically if you had to loosen the straps to get the kid + coat in the carseat, then in a crash the coat will compress and the suddenly loose straps will let the child fly out of the seat. Slip the winter coat on backwards after he's buckled in - bonus, he can take it off if he gets too hot once the heater's kicked in.

I have a radian65 - it's good for tall kids, very narrow and slim, doesn't take up much room in the FFing position (takes a ton of room in the RFing though)

car-seat.org has good discussion forums and you can find specific info for your car and your size kid.

- Jena
  • Options
    DS is 36lbs and 38" tall and is still fitting very comfortably in the Britax Marathon.  He does not wear a winter coat in it though.  He definitely has tons of room left.  However, we did purchase a Britax Frontier 85 the other week (on a great sale) for DH's car after he turns 2.  It is a 5-point harness until 85lbs and then becomes a traditional booster seat until 120lbs.  You can't use it until they are 2 AND 25lbs so we are waiting on it.  It sits up straighter like a traditional booster making it fit better in DH's Acura which doesn't give DS much leg room with the Marathon.  He'll remain in a 5 point harness until 85lbs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"