Adoption

any help?

Hello.  My name is Heather.  We are trying IVF in February, but only afford to do it once.  So we are starting to look forward to adoption.  Any Florida girls that can tell me what would be Step 1?  I would appreciate any direction you can give me.  Thanks in advance :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: any help?

• My husband and I made the decision to seek adoption before trying IVF.  It is still on the table for late this year if we don't get matched.  I'm not a Florida girl, but I know a lot of the girls on here recommend reading Adoption for Dummies as a good overview. 

We already knew we wanted to pursue domestic infant adoption, so I never read that book.  I sought out all adoptive couples I could think of and talked to them.  Then, I did an internet search for all of the adoption agencies within a couple hours from us and I requested all of their packets.  We poured over those packets and spent some time in prayer, visited with a few of the agencies over the phone and in person.  Then we made our decision on our agency and went from there.  It seems in Florida there are a ton of attorneys that facilitate adoption.  One of my friends locally is actually going to Florida to meet their birthmom in two weeks. 

Good luck with your IVF cycle!  In my perfect world, we'd adopt and have a biological child too!

TTC #1 since 12/07 SA 9/08=borderline normal HSG 1/09 found R tube blocked Multiple IUIs both with oral and injectible drugs from 2/09-2/11 Started domestic adoption process in 5/10, homestudy complete 9/10 Failed adoption after home with baby for 2 weeks 11/10 Blessed through the miracle of private adoption with a son, born 6/6/11 (his grandma's bday) 7lbs 9oz 20.5 inches long! So worth the wait!
  • Check out the FAQ section above.  It has some great resources to get you started.

Something that I didn't understand early on is that it is not necessary to choose an agency in your state.  

IMO, an early step is figuring out what sort of adoption fits best in your life (i.e. International vs Domestic, foster to adoption, 100% Caucasian vs mixed ethnicity).  There's not a better answer.  It's just figuring out what makes sense for your family. From there, you'll have a sense of where you should start looking.

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"