Attachment Parenting
Options

ugh FIL vent (BFing related)

so we are on a family vacation with DHs extended family. we're at a timeshare so there are several units all around that various family members are staying in. we leave all our doors open and most of the time we gather in several of the rooms on that are on the 1st floor.

Anyway i was in DH's grandmother's unit with a couple of his family members an was nursing DS. 

FIL walks in with several of DH's relatives, saw me nursing (i wasnt covered but there was nothing to see, b/c i had a nursing tank on under a heavy sweatshirt). he got all flustered and said "no men should be in here" and made all the men behind him leave the room. I tried to explain that I don't care who's around, that if anyone is uncomfortable they can leave, but i personally don't care (if i cared, i wouldnt do it in a public place).

no one really heard me so now i feel like all the men think they have to avoid/leave a room if i am nursing DS

and what's strange is FIL has been in the room before when i've been nursing, and he didnt even realize, so now whenever he sees me holding DS in a cradle position he assumes i'm nursing. so he knows i don't care who's around when i nurse - which makes me wonder if he thinks i shouldnt nurse in front of them. (again i always make sure i'm covered up. sometimes i use my nursing cover if its available, especially if the teenage boys are around, but otherwise i make sure to cover myself as much as possible when latching on/off)

sorry this is long i'm just so annoyed. there are other issues with FIL that i won't go into that i am sure are contributing to my mood about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ugh FIL vent (BFing related)

• Options
    Oh he sounds EXACTLY like my FIL. Lol just you wait til the gtg. I will have many many ridiculous stories to share lol.
    Breastfeeding, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing, Animal Loving Family! Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Some men are extremely uncomfortable about it.  It can get annoying.  I recently went to a Christmas party.  It was a small gathering of 8 people.  When DS needed to nurse I left the dinner table, sat in the living facing away from everyone and used a nursing cover.  I still had two guys complain about nursing and how I should not be "that close" when nursing.  UGH
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageRoseTor:
    Some men are extremely uncomfortable about it.  It can get annoying.  I recently went to a Christmas party.  It was a small gathering of 8 people.  When DS needed to nurse I left the dinner table, sat in the living facing away from everyone and used a nursing cover.  I still had two guys complain about nursing and how I should not be "that close" when nursing.  UGH

i totally understand and respect if a man is uncomforable about NIP - then they can leave, but dont make every man in the room leave! and since he's myFIL it looks to the others as if he is saying it on my behalf, so now everyone is afraid to enter a room for "fear" that i am nursing and would be embarrassed by their presence!

• Options
    Personally, I don't think you should have to worry about covering yourself or who is around and who isn't. You aren't doing anything wrong and if your FIL doesn't want to be around when you are BF, then he can leave. This is why I think it's really important to NIP, so more people are used to seeing BF, and it can be normal.
  • Options

imagemrs.baum:
    Personally, I don't think you should have to worry about covering yourself or who is around and who isn't. You aren't doing anything wrong and if your FIL doesn't want to be around when you are BF, then he can leave. This is why I think it's really important to NIP, so more people are used to seeing BF, and it can be normal.

I agree, it's so nice being over here where it's pretty well excepted. I nursed DD all over Paris and no one cared.

DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • Options

"So close while nursing!" This comment that the PP endured made me spit out my tea. Seriously? What, do they think they are going to catch your breastfeeding cooties?

I am beginning to understand why people become lactivists. This kind of behavior really just wants me to whip it out wherever and whenever, just to show people that feeding my baby is not wrong. 

• Options
    I would have DH talk to him! It is not ok to speak on your behalf. But I'm one of those moms who will BF anywhere and DH is very supportive and kind of a lactivist!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• Options
    Lame. Obviously you wouldn't be around other people if you cared.
    I have no problem NIP, but I'm not completely comfortable around my husband's family so I either bring her a bottle or go to another room. But I don't need people speaking on my behalf.
  • Options

I have no advice, but wanted to share a similar story.

At Ada's birthday party I was nursing at the back of the room, sort of away from the party, so she wouldn't be distracted. My brother and father were sitting at the opening of that part of the room. My nine year old friend* headed back to talk to me. My brother told him he couldn't go back, just as my father yelled to tell me he was coming back, presumably so I would stop or cover up.

I laughed and told him to come talk to me, explaining to everyone else that not only has he seen his mother nurse, but has seen me nurse also. They were horrified.

* his mother is one of my closest friends. Since he was two he made it very clear that I am his friend too, so I am not allowed to refer to him as a friend's child, I am to call him my friend 

• Options

DH and his family are like this... I told DH I will be respectful at their houses, but in my house it is my rules. I don't want my children growing up with the same attitude about NIP as DH has...

When we were little my mother would leave the room, but only for the comfort of those around her, not her own. I know it is where my comfort/ attitude came from.

Sorry your FIL has all of those people thinking you are not okay with it.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"