Cincinnati Babies

Baby Shower questions

So, I am throwing my sister a shower on the 16th and I admit that I am really behind! With the holidays in there it just creeped up on me! I have the invites in the mail as of today and now I need to start planning. I need help with games and favors. Her nursery is done in a sports theme with bold colors. Think Navy, deep red, hunter green etc.. I was carrying the sports theme in to the shower and I have no intentions of anything being baby blue etc... so. HELP! I don't know what kind of favors to give out. Also, give me a game that you actually like doing.
6/28/10: Lost our sweet baby Addyston at 18wk 1day to pPROM 7/24/11: Michael William born at 24wk 2d due to IC after an emergent cerclage at 18wks, 4wk home BR and 2 weeks hospital BR. Grow strong our little Miracle! 9/17/11: Michael joined his sister in heaven after 8 amazing weeks with us on earth. He fought a very hard fight but NEC was too much for him in the end. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Baby Shower questions

• For one shower I threw I made little candles in baby food jars as favors. I also made baby bottle candy appitizers using lifesavors and sticking them together with icing and using a jelly bean as a nipple. Is it her first? I also had everyone write down some words of wisdom for the mom to be and place it in a jar so she could read them later. She ended up using them in a scrapbook.

As far as the theme goes I would just go with the colors for the plates and silverware and table cloths. I'd do the cake with decorations of the sports theme. Are you ordering it or making it?

Are the people that are being invited up for games? Some crowds get into it and some really don't. I love baby shower games. My favorite is putting a dime between your legs and trying to drop it in a bottle. I'm pretty awesome at that game. There is always the diaper candy bar game which elicits some interesting responses but not everyone likes it.

• I've been Googling ever since I wrote this post because I am the ONLY one stuck at the office still! Anyway, I thought about maybe giving out boxes of Cracker Jacks as favors, but I need a nifty little saying to go on them. I am thinking something along the lines of "Little Slugger is on his way" or something cheesy like that which would tie in the Cracker Jacks theme to sports.

I have the decorations down, I think.

Cake... I haven't decided if I want to make it or order it. I took classes and I can definately make it, I'm just not sure if I will have the time to do so with everything else. I do have an idea in mind though so either way I am covered there.

I think everyone who is coming will expect at least a few games. I don't want too many because they take too long and it's too hard to get 40 grown women to shut up for 2 minutes so you can explain a game to them and you end up repeating yourself a million times. I was thinking about cheating and have everyone fill out their name and address on an envelope for the Thank you cards and using that as a door prize type of deal so my sister doesn't have to fill them all out after the shower. Beyond that though, I am open to suggestions. I don't want to do the candy diaper game, that takes too much energy on my part to get them all melted and keep track of them.

6/28/10: Lost our sweet baby Addyston at 18wk 1day to pPROM 7/24/11: Michael William born at 24wk 2d due to IC after an emergent cerclage at 18wks, 4wk home BR and 2 weeks hospital BR. Grow strong our little Miracle! 9/17/11: Michael joined his sister in heaven after 8 amazing weeks with us on earth. He fought a very hard fight but NEC was too much for him in the end. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  •  I'm stuck at work too so I'm commenting on almost every single post. Trying to to be too annoying but I am SO BORED!

I don't think it's cheating to have them fill out their own envelope. I do this too. Less work for the person you're throwing the shower for and it's more likely that thank you's will get sent out.

Games:

The dime bottle one.

Toilet paper around the belly and whoever guesses close enough wins (works well if the GOH isn't very self concious. Wouldn't try it for someone who is tho)

Baby items on a table covered with a blanket. Guests have 2 minutes to look at table and then cover it again and they write down as much as they can remember and the person closest gets a prize.

If you have time you can cut out of magazines pics of pregnant celebs and put the GOH's face on them. Then everyone gets to guess who the body belongs too and whoever gets the most wins a prize.

• I stink at favors.  My sister just gave out little potted herbs at mine (which I managed to killed in less than a week). 

For games my sister did a Price is Right sort of game.  She had a bag full of random baby stuff (bottles, pacis, baby food, etc) and you had to guess the price without going over.  The person who was closest without going over on the most items won, and I got all the baby items. 

She also did a game where you were given 4 or 5 baby clothing items and had to hold a baby doll and hang the items on a clothes line.  The person that got all of them up the fastest without dropping the baby won.

• My friend did this for another pg friend.  The cake said - "Get your sport gear out to play, a baby boy is on the way!" 

She gave out cracker jacks as favors.  She used double bubble gum as a filler sprinkled on the tables as part of the decor.  She had a saying tied to the cracker jacks, I'll have to ask her what it was and what games they played.  

• I am co-hosting a shower on the 15th so we are in the same boat.  I still don't know what to do for favors...I thought about giving baby blue pashmina's and saying something along the lines of "Baby it's cold outside!" but it would have ended up costing more than I wanted to spend.  So I'm back to the drawing board. I found some cute ideas here:  https://www.beau-coup.com/.  I'm also interested in hearing what others suggest.

We aren't playing games per say...but we are going to put a bunch of pictures of the mom-to-be on a memory board (colors to match the baby's room so she can use it later) and then guests have to guess the age of the mom in the picture. The person who gets the most correct, wins. And then we are going to give away three more gift baskets in a drawing...kind of boring but we aren't big game players.

I've got to come up with the decor and am thinking of something along the lines of this (I think jenrose suggested this website): https://www.hostesswiththemostess.com/themes/baby_showers/love_comes_softly

I've ordered a "Sweet Baby" banner from Etsy and will be making a onesie clothesline banner as well.

Hope others have ideas because I could sure use them! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For the love of all that is holy, don't do the TP around the belly game. I don't think it's cool at all. One of my favorites is to give everyone a paper plate and have them draw a picture of a baby while they're holding it on top of their heads. Mom-to-be judges them and picks a winner. I also like the doll game and the bottle chug games, but I can't stand the candy bar in the diaper one.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"