D.C. Area Babies

Speech therapy??

So DD#1 is 28 months old and communicates in full sentences and has great pronunciation.  That being said, she has a problem with the word "yellow".  It is the only word that she can't repeat when we say it and it comes out like "lellow".  I have her sound out the "ye" sound, which she does, but then when she puts it together, she still says "lellow".  I have no basis for knowing what to do, if it matters at this point, etc.  Does anyone have any experience with the age and issues like this?  I don't think it is a huge deal, nor do I think it is detrimental for me to practice saying the "ye" sound with her, but DH thinks I need to leave it be for now....he says she has plenty of time to learn how to pronounce things.  Thoughts?

Re: Speech therapy??

• Saying "lellow" instead of yellow is very very common at this age. My DD who is 33 months says it that way.   When I taught kindergarten there were still some kids who said it that way.  I wouldn't worry about it right now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I know he's a lot younger (21 months), but my son has a similar issue. His name is Warner and he can say water with a proper "w" sound and many other words that start with a w. But he pronounces his own name "naw-ner". I can get him to say "wa-wa-wa" perfectly but when I say "wa-wa-Warner", he says "wa-wa-Naw-ner". I haven't been worried about it yet and I'm figuring that he'll work it out at some point. I think he is just used to saying it that way and it sounds right to him for some reason.

• Loading the player...
  • My DD#1 is 28 months old, speaks in full sentences and has regular conversations with us; and shes says yellow the same way as your DD.  My neice said it like that forever and so did one of my sisters.  They both say yellow now Wink  My DD#1 says her name incorrectly, though she says other words with similar letter combinations as her name correctly.  I'm not worried about it.  She'll figure it out at some point.
  • DD says "yeyo" - I think it's normal, as she speaks in full sentences otherwise! I couldn't pronounce the "S" in my name and would say "SH" instead for a long time. I think I did finally go to speech therapy for it but it was around age 6-7.
  • I think if that is the only pronunciation issue, then I think it will work itself out as pp said. If it was combined with say, phrasing issues or limited vocab then I would be concerned - but that definitely doesn't sound like that in your case.

imageimage
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Just to echo everyone else...I teach first grade and can tell you that speech sound development always surprises me, as in how late they are expected honestly, compared to what I think we expect as moms. For example, things like th/r/etc. I can't refer kids to speech for until age 7 or 8.

A speech pathologist at school referred me to this chart once. It's pretty basic and parent friendly, and is referenced in the ASHA (American Speech and Hearing Association) web page as a resource for parents.

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagemommmyz:

Just to echo everyone else...I teach first grade and can tell you that speech sound development always surprises me, as in how late they are expected honestly, compared to what I think we expect as moms. For example, things like th/r/etc. I can't refer kids to speech for until age 7 or 8.

A speech pathologist at school referred me to this chart once. It's pretty basic and parent friendly, and is referenced in the ASHA (American Speech and Hearing Association) web page as a resource for parents.

Ditto this.  I am a Speech Language Pathologist and work in the pediatric area.  ASHA is a great reference.  W, R, S are all very later developing sounds.  Some children develop them early and others later.  It's not something that a SLP would work on until later school age.  Lello for Yellow is very common as well, the technical term for it is a phonological process of reduplication where children use a more simple way of pronouncing their words.  Another example of reduplication would be baba for bottle or nana for night.  Phonological processes are developmentally typical and something all kids do while learning language.  Feel free to email me if you have any other questions mstavish79 at gmail.com   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, as far as practicing with her or not it's best just to model the correct way to say yellow.  She eventually will start staying it correctly.  At this point most kids aren't even learning colors- that's really a 3 year old receptive language skill so kuddos for her for knowing yellow! :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"