Attachment Parenting

looking to buy first wrap BUT...

i need it for airport ease while traveling should i buy a ring sling or a woven? any suggestions?
BFP #1 May 2000 ~ Darren was born Jan 13, 2001 ~ 6lbs 2oz 191/2" ~ 39 wks due to low fluid, otherwise perfect pregnancy
July 2004 abnormal pap, colposcopy and LEEP procedure ~ paps every 3 months all normal for 1 year
2006 all clear to start TTC
HSG Nov 2007 ~ all normal except mild left tube blockage
BFP #2 Dec 2007 EDD sept 3 ~ missed m/c ~ Feb 14 2008 ~ 9wk 2d D&C
BFP #3 Apr 2008 EDD Dec 10 ~ ectopic ~ May 2008 ~ 5wk 2d ~ emergency lap surgery, lost left tube
BFP #4 Jul 2008 EDD May 5 ~ missed m/c ~ Aug 2008 ~ 5wk 2d D&C - trisomy 16
RPL panel Aug 2008 ~ diagnosed with compound hetero MTHFR
BFP #5 Nov 2008 EDD Jul 31 ~ blighted Ovum ~ Dec 2008 ~ 4wk 3d ~ natural m/c at home for my birthday
BFP #6 Feb 2009 EDD Oct 15 ~ 4wk 3d ~ chemical pregnancy ~ Mar 2008
BFP #7 May 18 2009 ~ Gabriel Michael ~ Jan 19, 2010 ~ 7lbs 2oz 21"
TTC again since Jan 2011
BFP #8 Jun 2011 EDD Jan 20 ~ 5wk 6d ~ missed m/c ~ D&C
July - Hysterscopy removed some polyps, all clear for IUI with clomid
Aug-Oct - IUI - with Clomid all BFN
Nov-Jan - IUI - with femara and trigger = BFN
back to TTC naturally on our own hoping for another miracle.
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
Blog

Re: looking to buy first wrap BUT...

• A woven has a longer learning curve, but is more comfy (IMO) than a ring sling. Ring slings are definitely much easier to get a LO in and out of quickly, but really only leave you with one free hand, rather than two.
  • imageTonya_G:

..but really only leave you with one free hand, rather than two.

Why is that? Do they not entirely support LO? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedaenikoffre:

imageTonya_G:

..but really only leave you with one free hand, rather than two.

Why is that? Do they not entirely support LO? 

Kinda. If you're bending over to pick up luggage, or what not.... I just personally would feel more secure using both hands with DD in a wrap over a RS. I'm not a big RS user however. And whenever I do, DD has a tendancy to try to lean and look at the floor, so I always have one hand on her. She can't do this in a wrap.

• We travel a ton, and I use BOTH in the airport. :D For going through security, I use a ring sling, because I can put in on over my head, tighten and go (now that all wraps/carriers have to go through x-ray). Once I get to my gate or a place with benches, I pull the wrap out of my carry on and wrap her up. She sleeps better on the plane in a wrap than a RS.

I've attempted just using a wrap in the airport, but I always have complications. I brought my shorter wrap (to just wrap her quickly in a FCC or ruck at security) and I liked that, but the FCC wasn't comfortable for the flight. So I tried another carry on the way home (what's the one where you tie under the bum?), but didn't like that because I couldn't really tuck her head in, and nursing in the wrap was harder (I prefer her in the FWCC for the flight!). And I just took my long Ellaroo, which was nice for the plane, but I stood at security for 10 minutes with people offering to "help" me wrap her, and I just felt rushed. It was a crappy wrap job too! lol

So you would just have to see what works for you! 

(Also, a ring sling usually curves around your shoulder, which is one of the reasons it does reduce the mobility of that arm a bit. And while it's secure if done correctly, with a squirmy LO, a roller suitcase, and a diaper bag, I much prefer the bullet proof security/multilayer support of a wrap.)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMellsHells:

We travel a ton, and I use BOTH in the airport. :D For going through security, I use a ring sling, because I can put in on over my head, tighten and go (now that all wraps/carriers have to go through x-ray). Once I get to my gate or a place with benches, I pull the wrap out of my carry on and wrap her up. She sleeps better on the plane in a wrap than a RS.

I've attempted just using a wrap in the airport, but I always have complications. I brought my shorter wrap (to just wrap her quickly in a FCC or ruck at security) and I liked that, but the FCC wasn't comfortable for the flight. So I tried another carry on the way home (what's the one where you tie under the bum?), but didn't like that because I couldn't really tuck her head in, and nursing in the wrap was harder (I prefer her in the FWCC for the flight!). And I just took my long Ellaroo, which was nice for the plane, but I stood at security for 10 minutes with people offering to "help" me wrap her, and I just felt rushed. It was a crappy wrap job too! lol

(Also, a ring sling usually curves around your shoulder, which is one of the reasons it does reduce the mobility of that arm a bit. And while it's secure if done correctly, with a squirmy LO, a roller suitcase, and a diaper bag, I much prefer the bullet proof security/multilayer support of a wrap.)

I always mess up when people offer help!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I bought a Mai Tei before a woven specifically for this (they let me go through security with the waist tie still done up and DD in my arms at one airport but after coming through customs and then having to go through security at Houston they made me send it through Xray)  having used a RS tons it was easier with the Mai Tei to grab luggage and stuff and now that I feel more secure with a back carry in the Mai Tei I would definetly find it easier.  It also meant that I could put her in the MT while on the plane before we exited and did not feel I was stuggling with lots of wrap or taking too long and having people get irratated at me.
  • imagejolynreed:
    imageMellsHells:

We travel a ton, and I use BOTH in the airport. :D For going through security, I use a ring sling, because I can put in on over my head, tighten and go (now that all wraps/carriers have to go through x-ray). Once I get to my gate or a place with benches, I pull the wrap out of my carry on and wrap her up. She sleeps better on the plane in a wrap than a RS.

I always mess up when people offer help!

It drives me insane. My daughter is one. Do they REALLY think I don't know what I'm doing and that they can do it any better? Really??? I just smile and say we've got it under control and are old pro's at this... they tend to leave me be then.

• I prefer a woven but I also prefer to have kiddo on my back - much easier to lug gear that way.  Before he could walk, I didn't have to unwrap him for security except for the time I set the metal detector off (note to self, don't dress kiddo in overalls for flying!).

People do always ask if they can help but I just smile and say "I've got it thanks!" - I'm pretty fast with a ruck though (and can even ruck on the plane - lol).  I've only flown with kiddo by myself so I found that people just wanted to help in general - which was nice actually.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"