Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Yes another... Lol! Overweight babies

Re: Yes another... Lol! Overweight babies

• Options
    I saw that and was unimpressed.  My baby isn't fat.  He is bigger than many his age, but not out of proportion or extreme- and babies are supposed to grow rapidly.  
  • Options

I'd be interested to know what is considered "obese" at 9 months old...

If babies don't overeat, which is what I've been told by multiple doctors, is there really anything that could be done? Not saying that something needs to be done, just wondering. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's such a dumb article.  It doesn't even take BMI (which needs height and weight) into account.  It's one of those articles with a sensational title that garners clicks (which = $$$) but has very little basis in fact.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    My "obese" kid has taken dumps in the bathtub that are more intelligent than this article.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageroxstarrgirl:
    So they recommend exclusive bf'ing as a solution-- hmm, well, DS has been EBF for the past 10 months, and he's always in the 95th percentile for height and weight.

Same here. Ella was EBF until she started solids and even then has been primarily BF up until the past week or so. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Sounds pretty dumb to me.  What is a parent supposed to do if a child is "obese", buy a baby treadmill or something? If a child isn't mobile then they aren't going to get as much exercise anyway.  A lot of the chubbier babies tend to thin out when they start walking anyway.  And baby chubs are cute and a sign of a thriving baby, who wouldn't want that?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's an awful article.

Sure, if your kid is in the 5th percentile for height and off the charts in weight...that's a little off. But seriously, all kids in the 95th percentile are obese? It doesn't even make sense...it doesn't even take height into consideration.

I do think that healthy eating habits should be started as soon as a baby starts to eat - but that has nothing to do with this article. Then the only solution is breastfeeding your child. I had to switch from EBF to EP when my preemie DS was a month old...because he was 1/2lb under his birth weight. Then I couldn't keep up and had to start supplementing with formula at 2 months - from 3-6 months I could only give him 1 bottle of BM a day. Until the past month I've had to work my azz off to get him to gain weight...he didn't gain an ounce between 4 and 6 months. He has a very high fat diet...as all kids should have until they are 2 years old - FOR BRAIN DEVELOPMENT!

I would much rather have DS (who is barely on the chart for weight and 25th percentile for height) be "chubby" than underweight.
  • Options

My kid has been in the 95th percentile from the get go, and has been growing rapid pace. He is also tall for his age. He has healthy eating habits, and will always turn away from food when full.

I think that article is a load of BS. How can you call an infant obese??? Ridiculous!

• Options
    My older son was "greater than 97th" percentile until he was over a year old, when he was finally "on the chart."  Guess what -- now that he's three, he's slimmed out and lost the baby pudge -- he's no where near obese.  My younger boy is over 28 lbs. at 9 month -- and I'm pretty sure he'll followe the same slimming track as his brother.  A$$hats.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"