Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Question from 3rd Tri RE: Diaper changes at night

Hi Ladies

Do you do diaper changes before, in the middle or after feedings generally at night. 

I am thinking before so that LO wakes up a bit and then if they go again during, just add another change?

TIA

Re: Question from 3rd Tri RE: Diaper changes at night

• Options
    Generally speaking I always change the diaper before a feeding, no matter what time of day. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I usually don't change LO at night at all unless she pooped. But when I did, I did it before I fed her so she'd fall back asleep easier.
    Med-free birth, EBF, Co-Sleeping, Babywearer
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used to have to change her before and after feedings when she was tiny. But I had a pooping machine for a baby.  It kind of sucked because she'd fall asleep when nursing, but then wake up during the diaper change. I think she stopped pooping every time sometime around 3 months.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    I do it in the middle. i feed him about 2-3 oz, then burp and change him then feed him the remainder 3 oz.  and by then he's pretty much asleep again.  If i do it at the begining, he will scream cus he's hungry, if i do it at the end, i feel he's that much more awake.
  • Options
    I change her between boobs.  It wakes her up just enough to finish eating.  I just turn on a lamp near the changing table, and I don't talk to her or anything (unlike daytime, when I narrate the whole thing!).
  • Options
    In the beginning I would change before, so he would fall asleep again during the feeding, but he would always poop after and then scream and it pretty much defeated the purpose.  Now I only change him 1x at night, usually after the 3 am time- which means he is up for awhile after.  Currently we are working on this...
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Before, so she will go back to sleep easily.
  • Options
    imageTassie'sfirst:
    I do it in the middle. i feed him about 2-3 oz, then burp and change him then feed him the remainder 3 oz.  and by then he's pretty much asleep again.  If i do it at the begining, he will scream cus he's hungry, if i do it at the end, i feel he's that much more awake.
    This!
  • Options
    I always have to do it after because LO very commonly poos while she is feeding.  At night I only change her if she does actually poo.
  • Options

imagemsimecek:
    I change her between boobs.  It wakes her up just enough to finish eating.  I just turn on a lamp near the changing table, and I don't talk to her or anything (unlike daytime, when I narrate the whole thing!).

This for me too.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    a little bit of life : A blog about the life of a working, crafting, adventuring family of 4.
  • Options
    We always do before.

DD - Juliana Joan - Born October 27, 2010 - My Little Princess

BFP 1/14/13 - M/C 1/22/13 @ 5 weeks

BFP 3/20/13 - EDD 11/11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    imagearibs2010:
    Before, so she will go back to sleep easily.
    Ditto
  • Options

we used to do before, now we do after since LO has decided that eating=poopy time. I was having to change diapers before and after and interrupting our sleep wasn't fun.

You just have to see what your baby does. There isn't a right or wrong answer, just as long as it gets done.

• Options

imagemsimecek:

This exactly!

• Options
    We do (well, did) before at night. And also before at the feeding just before bedtime. That way we don't wake them up after their feeding. Every other feed we change them after.
  • Options
    always before, never after...unless she poops
  • Options
    I do it at all different times. Try to do it before, but most of the time the kid is screaming. Cant do it inbetween because he has panic attacks once i take the bottle if he hasnt gotten his 6oz. Try to do it after, even though it wakes him up and then its playtime at 1am :( If i dont change him overnight, he will pee through the diapers while hes alseep, and onto my sheets, which i personally dont like waking up in a pee pee puddle. (happens too often that i dont even "try to make it" anymore. I just suffer with 45 mins of playtime untill i can get him to calm down.)

Santas little helper!

• Options
    Before. I only change after if I hear and feel him poop while he is eating. He goes to sleep a lot quicker and easier if he eats and isn't disrupted with a diaper change.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"