Breastfeeding
Options

How do I get a freezer stash?

I EBF, and only pumped at the beginning to help my milk come in (it took almost 10 days) and my LO had a tongue tie, so I was pumping and bottle feeding until we sorted that out...

Anyhow, I want to get a freezer stash going.  I'm a SAHM for now, but would still like the freedom to go out and leave DS with DH for a bit...how do I start pumping now?  LO eats every 3 hours during the day and 4-5 at night.  Last night, he only ate on one side before he fell asleep, so I pumped on the other side for 10 mins. and only got 1 oz.!  That seems like nothing! I know LO must be getting more than that as he's gaining well...any tips on how I can up my supply enough to pump a freezer stash? any tips would be much appreciated!! 

Re: How do I get a freezer stash?

• Options
    I find that I get the most when I pump in the morning. I usually wait a half hour to an hour after LO feeds her first feeding of the day. Since you're EBF, its normal to only get around 1 oz. when you pump since you're just essentially pumping extra (as compared to skipping a nursing session and pumping instead.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I never responded well to the pump, so the only way I was able to build up a stash-if you can call 30 oz a stash-was to save each little bit I pumped throughout the day.  At about 3 weeks pp, I would be able to collect an ounce in one day and I would put that in the freezer.  Around 6 weeks, I could put away around 2 ounces in a day.  Eventually I got to the point of being able to collect 4-6 ounces in a day, but it wasn't until DD was about 3 months old.  Even away from DD, I could only get 3-3.5 oz a pump session.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pump every day!!  Every bit will help.  Also pump at the same time if you can so your body can learn to make more at that time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am in the process of building my freezer stash right now. I started out by adding a pumping session an hour after our morning feeding session. I pump both breasts at the same time and usually get 2.5 oz (combined) from this session. Sometimes, if LO only nurses on one breast in the morning, I will pump the other breast right after he feeds and then pump the other breast an hour later. I usually get slightly more this way.

My goal is to get 2.5 oz minimum per day to freeze. If I get less than 2.5 oz at my morning session, I add another pumping session later in the day to make up for it. Don't worry about only getting 1 oz - my supply often varies from day to day anywhere from 1 oz to 3 oz.. If your LO is gaining, you're doing great and your supply will adjust as your body gets used to the added pumping session. You can also continue pumping for a couple minutes after your milk stops flowing to help stimulate your supply.

I've been doing this routine for about three weeks now and have about 50 oz frozen. I hope to have about 100 - 150 oz frozen before I go back to work on March 1st. I also hold out a couple oz. from freezing every couple days for him to take via the bottle, so he stays comfortable with eating from both the breast and the bottle.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I started pumping at about 3 weeks pp.  I pumped every morning after LO ate, to stimulate my body to produce more milk.  Within about 2 weeks I was able to get about 2-2.5 oz extra just after feeding LO.  I did this every day I was off on mat leave, plus every once in a while I tried to throw in an extra pumping session.  When I went back to work I had almost 200 oz stored up.  I used probably about 20 oz along with what I pumped at work until the daycare and I got the kinks worked out.  But haven't touched my stash since.  It's nice knowing it's there as a little security blanket. 
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"