Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

S/O what your LO eats

Does your LO ask for food? AJ rarely expresses hunger. He signs "eat" and will specifically ask for certain foods sometimes, so I know he knows what hunger is and how to express it. But he so rarely does. Is he the only one?

Re: S/O what your LO eats

• Nope, not the only one!  We are trying our best to teach DS to sign "eat" when he is hungry, but generally we just have to get him something every couple of hours.  As soon as you start preparing something he stands by your feet crying to eat, but he won't initiate it.  Definitely frustrating! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehisaak:
    Nope, not the only one!  We are trying our best to teach DS to sign "eat" when he is hungry, but generally we just have to get him something every couple of hours.  As soon as you start preparing something he stands by your feet crying to eat, but he won't initiate it.  Definitely frustrating! 
    I'm pretty sure AJ is just not hungry most of the time! I give him snacks, meals, that go untouched. But if he asks for food, he will eat it. I really wish genetics ran in reverse. LOL
  • Loading the player...
  • We have the opposite problem. When he wants fruit, he begs at the counter where the fruit dish is until you pick the right piece of fruit out for him. When he wants dry snacks, he's at the other cupboards, cereal at the creal cupboard...when he wants cheese, yogurt, grapes...he's pulling the fridge open.  It's great b/c we know what he wants, but it's gets frustrating when all he eats is grapes....
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • When Bryce is hungry he will stand by his high chair and reach up, as if he wants to sit in it.
  • Not really. DS does not sign but if he sees something he wants, he points and says "That".

Mostly it's things he can see... a jar of clementines or a box of crackers that are on the counter. So I am never exactly sure if he is hungry or is just asking for it because he can see it. Sometimes he eats what he asks for and sometimes he doesn't. I always give it to him though just incase he is hungry, but generally speaking he does not eat many snacks ( unless I am eating something between meals).

Its hard at this age!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebrideofscowboy:
    We have the opposite problem. When he wants fruit, he begs at the counter where the fruit dish is until you pick the right piece of fruit out for him. When he wants dry snacks, he's at the other cupboards, cereal at the creal cupboard...when he wants cheese, yogurt, grapes...he's pulling the fridge open.  It's great b/c we know what he wants, but it's gets frustrating when all he eats is grapes....
    Can you blame the kid? Grapes are delicious :)
  • DD used to stand by her chair when she wanted to eat... however, she has become less and less interested in eating and pretty much never asks to eat meals anymore. She does stand at the pantry and ask for crackers or pretzels (and then eats a few bites and throws the rest to the dog), and if she sees food on the counter she'll want it (but again, she typically won't actually eat it)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I keep bags of snacks (cheerios and goldfish) low on a shelf that she can reach, so she will go get snacks when she wants something.  She can't open them on her own so she brings them to us.  If she wants a meal, sometimes she will go sit in her chair and try to put the food tray on it.  It's so much harder when we aren't home, because she doesn't do verbal cues or signs for food, so its usually just a grouchy mood and you have to go through all the options of what it could be. 
  • DS1 is constantly wanting "bites"

It's his favorite word... and he eats just about 24/7 as a result!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Eli will ask for food all the time.  He signs eat or he goes to the kitchen (pulling us along) and points to a cabinet or tries to open the fridge.  Sometimes he asks for specific food, but he has a really limited vocab, so that's not too often.
  • DD has never asked for food or drink.  She occasionally goes to the pantry and helps herself to some cereal though.
  • DD will ask for "nanas, o's, crackas and wa-wa" which are bananas, cheerios, crackers and water.  She also signs when she wants milk.  She will also try to open the fridge or point to the cereal on top of the fridge or the fruit bowl on the counter. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DS has just started kind of letting us know.  he will run to the pantry b/c he knows his snacks are in there and he will start banging on the fridge.
  • imageEbethM0231:
    DS has just started kind of letting us know.  he will run to the pantry b/c he knows his snacks are in there and he will start banging on the fridge.

This is basically what DD still does. She is still in to screaming as a form of communication.

• Our daughter will "scream" at you when you have something she wants lol or she'll go to her highchair and say up!
  • DS usually starts biting me if he wants food. I try to keep a schedule so he understands that food time is coming but he doesn't get it yet. He points at things that he wants, so when he points to the kitchen I know he is hungry or when he points to my glass of water I know he is thirsty..
  • She knows how to open our pantry and will bring out the bagels, raisins, point at the goldfish crackers, etc. She's very demanding. lol
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• imagevanessaNOV2:
    DS usually starts biting me if he wants food. I try to keep a schedule so he understands that food time is coming but he doesn't get it yet. He points at things that he wants, so when he points to the kitchen I know he is hungry or when he points to my glass of water I know he is thirsty..
    I don't do a schedule because I don't want him to learn that it's time to eat because it's noon, or whatever. I want him to eat when he's hungry and stop when he's full. We don't do the "clean plate club" thing or make him take "just one more bite" for the same reasons. But he is just never hungry. I give him snacks, we have food available (that he can reach) at all times...he just doesn't eat it unless he's hungry. Which seems to not happen much. See how nice it would be if genetics worked in reverse? I am always hungry ;)
  • Yes he does. He goes to the gate at the kitchen, holds his hands out and says "more".

He also mooches off anyone whose eating around him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"