Breastfeeding

Feeding on demand and bedtime routine... Help please

We always did a loose bedtime routine with LO but it was any time between 8 and 930ish depending on when his next feeding would be. Well now he is sleeping horribly and i've decided to adhere to a stricter routine at the same time every night (I'm reading no cry sleep solution). Tell me, how do you do this when you feed baby on demand? What if our bedtime routine starts at 730 but LO just ate at 7? What if he's not hungry at the feeding part of the routine? Help! We all need more sleep!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Feeding on demand and bedtime routine... Help please

• If your LO eats at 7, I would back up your routine to start at 6:30 or 6:45. 

DD goes down between 7 and 730 most nights, so we do pjs or bath around 6:45, then reading or quiet snuggle, nurse, down to bed (sometimes she is already asleep but we try to go into the crib drowsy but awake)

DD sleeps worse the later she goes to bed so we try and put her down early, she sometimes wakes up for another feeding around 10;30 but then will be good for a nice stretch (most nights!)

• What does your bedtime routine consist of?  I would say if LO just ate at 7, I would do a little play time then bath and maybe top him off and then nighty night. Since he fed not to long ago he would get straight hind milk so even if he only takes a little it would be good. 

• Loading the player...
  • I would either "top him off" as well, or try to time your feeding before that so he eats at bedtime?! I know you said you do "on demand", but I know like if I have to go somewhere, I'll offer the boob early as they will usually eat! So maybe try to feed at 4:30, then at 7:30? Something like that?

Or try to make bedtime have nothing to do with nursing, so it doesn't matter. That's all I can think of!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • These are great suggestions. Our routine is bath, lotion, diaper, pjs, book, nurse, sleep sack, lullaby, bed. This is only the second night that we started at 730 and stuck to that exact order. I think "topping it off" will work... He's always willing to eat!Thanks ladies!
  • I work backwards from our night time feeding. LO goes to bed between 7:30-8:00 pm, and he usually wants to eat every 2.5 hours in the evening. So I make sure to feed him around 5:30-6:00 pm so he can be hungry at bed time. I'll offer the breast even if he's not super hungry, and he'll usually eat long enough to hold him off until bed time.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagegtown_bride:
    I work backwards from our night time feeding. LO goes to bed between 7:30-8:00 pm, and he usually wants to eat every 2.5 hours in the evening. So I make sure to feed him around 5:30-6:00 pm so he can be hungry at bed time. I'll offer the breast even if he's not super hungry, and he'll usually eat long enough to hold him off until bed time.

That's a good idea. I'll just have to plan a little better starting in the afternoon. Shouldn't be too hard... my boy likes to eat!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"