2nd Trimester
Options

Ideas to make money from home?

Finding out that my maternity leave isn't paid and getting closer and closer to not being able to live with having to drop my child off at a day care after only 3 months is making me think of alternative solutions.

There's now a possibility that I might stay home until our baby boy goes into preschool. I will absolutely need to have some way of generating money from home though. Does anyone have any ideas and/or is currently doing this now?

TIA!

Re: Ideas to make money from home?

• Options
  • Options
    You can always get into Pampered Chef, Lia Sophia, or Party Lite.
    Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageams8099:
    You can always get into Pampered Chef, Lia Sophia, or Party Lite.

There are TONS of places like these, maybe find one you like. Search for Direct Selling and you will find more than you would ever care to know about selling candles, jewelry, sex toys, chocolate, wine, gourmet foods, clothes, cookware, books, toys, stamps, makeup, etc. I've tried several, I always get bored and sign up with a new one. I think it's fun but I've never tried to use it as my actual job, although I do know several people who have and are very successful at it.

If you're good at creating something, maybe make some stuff and open up an etsy shop. I started one but I haven't finished it yet because I became pregnant and couldn't stand the smells of my creations anymore. I'm creeping out of that stage so I'll resume that soon.

My latest issue of Military Spouse Magazine was the "baby issue" and there was a one page article about baby-friendly home-based businesses. They listed licensed childcare provider, pet services like dog walking, dog baths, or doggy daycare, home decor seamstress like interior decorating and designing pillows and blankets and window treatments, direct selling like the ones mentioned above, and being a baker.

If you have a creative hobby then maybe with some hard work you can turn that into a home-based business, even if it's teaching others how to do something like finances or piano lessons.

Just figure out what you like to do and then begin to market it. If you decide to go into business for yourself, vistaprint.com is absolutely fantastic for getting really cheap or free business cards, pens, postcards, etc. and customizedgirl.com is great for making t-shirts to promote your business. Once you've purchased from vistaprint, they send you an email almost every day about the new free deals or 80% off stuff, you can PM me with your email address and I'll forward one of those emails if you want it.

Edited to add: Someone posted on another board that they do part-time wedding planning so I thought I'd throw party planning into the mix. 

I hope that you get lots of great suggestions! Good luck! 

(P.S. I also used vista print for my wedding save the dates and thank you cards and I've already made mock ups for my birth announcements and baby shower invites on there using their postcards, they're 100 for free, you just pay for shipping). 

• Options
    I'm going to take some book keeping and quickbooks courses at out local college.  That way I can keep books for DH's business and then work at getting other local small business clients as well.  I'll be able to do that in the evenings from home.
    Children should be seen, and heard, and believed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I work at my church part time.  I provide child care services during the WOmen's bible studies and on Wednesday nights.  The pay isn't bad, it is close to my home and I can bring my DD with me and not pay for her. 

I like it.  It gives me a little bit of extra money, it is nice having a reason to get out of the house, plus I think it w as good for DD to be around  other adults and children her own  age. 

• Options

I'm Canadian, but I'm sure there is a similar job like this in the US. I have a friend who just took a course to become a medical transcriptionist. She works from home and logs into a site where she listens in on what is said during surgeries and medical procedures, and types out what the medical team is saying.  She can work whenever she wants, for however long she wants and is paid fairly well. 

I have been thinking about doing this, as I already transcribe for a living, but it is a fairly heavy course - you have to learn a lot of medical terminology. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It is easier to  cut expenses.  I do direct selling, and although I do just fine, I do not recommend doing this in order to stay at home (it takes time build up your business).  You can also take in a child and watch them during the day if you like kids. I do this in order to stay at home and I love it!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I own my own home based business and it is really wonderful. It takes a few months to build your income but I love that I am able to be home with my LO and still make a living. It also gives me a social outlit... which I need, I don't get so stir crazy being stuck in a house with a four year old!

I would be happy to tell you about what I do if you would like to PM me! Good luck :)

• Options
    I stay home with my ds and started selling Premier Jewelry. Out of the other things like it (Pampered Chef, Lia Sophia), its the one that you make the most percentage wise.
    Mom to 2 healthy boys, and a baby girl in Heaven. Heard her heartbeat on 7/18, heartbeat was gone on 7/20. Miss you forever.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"