Parenting

Will your child stay up until the New Year?

Last year L did.  We went to my coworkers party, and there were lots of children 8 and under there.  They all played, and played, and played, and played.   Surprisingly there were no melt downs until after midnight.    

I don't know whether L and I will go to the same place this year or we will just stay home.  

Curious what you other mommas let your children do.   

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Will your child stay up until the New Year?

• If she does, she'll probably be the only one!
  • They'd crash long before that!   DS1 crashed yesterday at 5pm and got up at 6am. He did not take a nap...DD & DS2 was out before 830pm, if I attempted to get them to stay up that long...it would be all out tantrum hell.   We had plans but DH is sick, we will just be staying home.   I will only stay up until the ball drops in NYC. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We are having 8 adults (maybe 10) and 6 kids over (maybe 8).  So I'm guessing they will still be up.  I told them both to try to take a nap today but I doubt that will happen.  We tend to have people over, on average, once a month.  So they have a late night once a month anyway -- so not much different than the norm.  Midnight is a bit later than the usual (which is about 11) but again, nothing they aren't already used to.

• No. We're having people over, and I want him in bed by 9:00.

ETA: We're only having adults over -- no kids to stay up late with. I want my adult time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Probably. As long as he naps, he does fine staying up late with no meltdowns and is also fine the next day. If we are home before midnight we will put him to bed, but if not he'll just stay up. Let's hope today is a napping day :-)
  • I never tried tosee how long she would stay up mainly because I'm afraid of the consequences the next day.
    Josh-10/1/87, Brittany 3/9/91, Mandi 7/26/92, Michelle 9/11/06 image I'M GRAPE JELLY- ALWAYS AROUND & ALWAYS THE SAME If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me. For I must be traveling on now. Because there are too many places I've got to see. -Allen Collins & Ronnie VanZant My favorite verse!
  • Nope, we're putting everyone down at their usual bed time, DH and I will be going to a friends house for drinks, my sister is watching the kids tonight.
  • No, they wouyld NEVER make it up that late. They go to bed every night at 7-7:30.  If for some crazy reason they did stay up, it would be a disaster the next day, my kids still wake at the same time each morning, even if they go to bed later than normal (like Christmas Eve at 11:00- eeek!)
    Melanie ~Ava Grace 7.20.06 & Lila Jane 7.22.09~ m/c #3 6/18/08 image
  • Nope. He will probably be up until 9 or so (we are going out for dinner and drinks with another couple and all the kids are staying together with a sitter) but even that will be a huge stretch for him. He doesn't nap anymore so is usually in bed by 7:15. He is also a giant crab cakes the next day if he stays up late, so we avoid it when possible. Tomorrow won't be too fun, but what can you do :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No, we are sleeping over at my sister's tonight and will put the kids down at their normal time. We may let DS stay up a little later than normal but not until midnight. This is mostly because DH downloaded Black Swan and we cannot watch it if DS is awake!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • #6#6 member

We are going to try to.  I bought snacks for us and we are going to play the kids new board games, the Kinect, the Wii and watch a movie or 2.  I also bought the cheesy hats and glasses so we can take our first family picture of 2011.  

We both wanted to go out but had no one to watch the kids (my mom is going to a church pie supper and midnight service) and his mom thinks its crazy for us to go out and do anything.  So we are making it a fun family night.  :)  Im really excited.  If they get fussy and tired they can take a nap and we will wake them to watch the ball drop.  

• He did surprisingly well last year.   And this year?  He goes to his dad tomorrow at 8 am. :D:D:D

Although, I don't think *I* want to stay up until midnight, so we might just both go to bed at the regular time! 

• No, my younger two would never make it that late without having a complete melt down.  DD might be fine (she's 6) but we're not really doing anything special so we won't keep her up "just because".

That being said, they will probably all wake up around 1130 anyway because there is a huge fireworks display not too far from my house.  If the booms don't wake them up, then the dogs barking definitely will.  I'll let them stay up and watch the fireworks and then send them back to bed once everything quiets down again. 

• I might let them, but I doubt they could do it. If we were having friends over, or just hanging out alone, I'd put them to bed, but we're going to my parent's house. It won't be that much fun, so they won't be in the way of anything if they stay up :)
  • Nope. We're just going to be at home and no way will I be keeping her up until midnight. I have to be home with her all day tomorrow and don't want to deal with a crab. lol
    IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I doubt it.  Whenever we do late nights, the kids are physically unable to stay awake past 10 or 10:30  ML has fallen asleep on her feet at 11'ish at a late party before.  My sister is keeping both of them for the evening, and we're going out to eat.  We'll meet back at my sister's and do some fireworks around 9:30 or 10:00, but I'm sure both kids will be tired even by then.

• My kids are with their Dad tonight, but even if they were home I wouldn't bother. They are normally begging to go to bed by 7:30-8pm, so trying for midnight would be a complete disaster.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • We'll see.  I doubt he'll make it, but he's excited to try.
    Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. -Tennessee Williams

You take my ovaries, I take your yarns.
  • No way.  The boys and their cousins are all in bed.  We're at BIL and SIL's house, and it's adult time now!
  • Yea, I am just staying home.  He had no nap.  Despite how irritated I am with my exH right now, I wouldn't let L become that tired and have that many melt downs tomorrow.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"