Attachment Parenting

How to get LO to like the wrap

I tried the seven sling - DS hated it and so did I.  Then I finally got the nerve to try the wrap.  Thanks to some suggestions on using Ncbelle from youtube I figured it out.  I like the wrap but DS screams while he's in it.   I want to be able to have him wrapped but whats the point of doing so if DS doesn't like it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How to get LO to like the wrap

• I would say keep trying, so he has the opportunity to get used to it.  Maybe go out somewhere, so its more interesting.  My DS will only stay in a wrap at home if Im moving around a lot.  He definitely enjoys it more now than he did a few months ago.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS used to hate the wrap when we were at home.  I was actually afraid to wear him in public because I thought he would have a meltdown at some point.  But I quickly discovered that he is perfectly content observing a new environment while wrapped close to me.  I suggest wearing him when you go grocery shopping and see how it goes. I used to even bring the stroller as "back up" in case he got uncomfortable in the wrap but we never actually needed it.  Also, try wrapping at home right after a nap when you know your LO is in a good mood.  When I try to wrap DS when he's  tired, he doesn't have the patience to be wrapped.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • dd loved the wrap right away, but screamed her head off every time i tried the mei tai for months. it just took time, i guess. also, if what you're using is the fwcc, maybe try the pocket carry instead (i think that's what it's called)--so you just pop him into it, rather than wrapping it around him. :)
  • Being worn is a new experience for babies - some just need a little more adjusting time.  I agree that movement is key!  I'd try it when he's in a good mood (not hungry or tired) and go out for a walk - most babies will calm down pretty quickly with that.  And some fussing at first is normal as he gets used to it.

You can also try doing something like vacuuming (motion and noise) or bouncing on an exercise ball.

My guess is with a bit of practice (for both of you) and some motion, he'll figure out it's a pretty good place to be.

Oh, and not sure which hold you are doing but if you have him legs in now, you could try legs out - some babies just hate legs in!

• I had a Moby at first and used it with his legs in. My DS fussed and screamed pretty much everytime he was in it. I got rid of it and got a ring sling and put his legs out. HE LOVED IT. I've wrapped since then and realized he just hated his legs all bunched up. That said, the Moby wasn't for us since he was so heavy from the get go. Also, when he was much younger and fussier, I couldn't wear him unless I was outside. Now I wear him around the house, at stores, walks around town. It is wonderful and the only way he will nap outside of the house. 
    DS 09.11.10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"