Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Those of you with a LO on GER meds...

Callie is on Zantac and even if we wait a half hour to an hour after she ate and put her down on her back to change her or to let her play or whatever, she is in pain, puking etc. She is on .3mL 2x/day.

Anyone have this happen? What did their pedi do? She has been on it since Tuesday night and doesn't seem a whole lot better. 

Sorry if I take forever to respond. I am about to start pumping and will be one handed. :) 

Also, what do you do if they spit out their meds? I give it to her and some comes back out.... This morning I gave her a little extra afterward to see if that helped her later today but then we just had her fussing/hurting b/c of a spit up. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Those of you with a LO on GER meds...

• Options

Landon was just diagnosed with a "silent reflux" earlier this week and was prescribed Zantac (1 mL 2x per day).  Do you give it to her after a feeding or before?  I know that our pediatrician recommended giving it about an hour before a feeding if possible.  Just like you mentioned, he does seem to have discomfort up to about an hour after he eats. Since his reflux is silent we don't have the spitting up, but he just seems to be in a lot of pain if we do not wait to lay him down.  We have been pretty fortunate that he is managing to keep most of his medication in his mouth and swallowing.  Do you use a dropper or a syringe?  When we picked up his prescription the pharmacist gave us a syringe to use. I have since started using the dropper and that has helped a lot. 

We are hoping that this helps to give him some relief.  We haven't been taking it very long and the pediatrician said it could take up to a week to get results.  We have or fingers crossed.  It can be heartbreaking watching them in pain like that--good luck and I hope everything works out for your LO!

• Options
    Our DD was on Zantac and we saw no improvement. She is now on prevacid and she is doing better. You might wantto talk to your doctor about this.... Typically the mess won't necessarily stop the spit up but will help with the discomfort. Our DD still spits up but it's not projectile vomit
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Zantac alone did not help my LO, he was on .4 ml X 2/day.  Dr said that we could either switch to Prevacid or add Reglan.  The prevacid was $300.00/month and insurance wouldn't pay for it, so we added Reglan to the Zantac.  It seems to be helping right now.  In addition LO takes Nutrimigen formula.  I'd call the dr if just Zantac isn't helping your LO, I was told that Zantac only helps about 50% of the babies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Call your pediatrician and ask to have the dosage checked against her weight.  We just had to up our baby's dose from .4 ml to .5 since he'd gained almost a pound since it was first prescribed and wasn't working anymore.
  • Options

Zantac never worked for E.  She was on .4ml four times a day.  She is now on the Prevacid solutabs and they work wonders.  She didn't like the taste of Zantac either, so we would give her a little then put her paci in her mouth so she would swallow. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.  They also have pacifier med dispensers...

Good luck, I know AR is hard.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Zantac has to be re-dosed quite a bit when weight change. We tried prevacid and he was WAY worse. We are back on zantac and he is doing 1.1ml twice a day. Also, since that not always helping we are going to see a pedi GI dr in January.
    DS has acid relux and milk protein allergy, and had torticollis, used to EP, now we FF . April siggy 3-6 month
    We're Finally Three imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Born 7lb, 15oz, 21-1/4, 2 mo - 12lbs, 14oz. 25", 3mo - 14lb, 4oz 26in , 4 mo - 16lb, 1oz, 26 3/4 in, 5 mo 18 lb, 4oz 27-3/4 in, 6 mo 28 3/4 in 19lb, 14oz
  • Options
    Thanks, Ladies. She has only been on it a few days so I doubt she outgrew her dose already. I have a feeling this is going to be a loonng road.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageMrs.Johns:
    Thanks, Ladies. She has only been on it a few days so I doubt she outgrew her dose already. I have a feeling this is going to be a loonng road.

Zantac can take a few days to work or even longer.  We didn't see improvement for a few days but a friend of mine had LO on it for two weeks before things really got better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hey sweetie... sorry to hear you have the reflux issue.Alex is on Zantac and a friend said it absorbs very fast. Try giving it before a meal (20 minutes) so there is no milk to spit up with it.It can be hard to get them to swallow it but we put his paci in his mouth after we give it to him so he swallowa.Good to. See you by the way!

imageimage

imageimage

image  image

• Options
    We started with Zantac and got up to 1.5ml twice a day then we moved to a Prilosec suspension that has made a huge improvement.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"