Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

When to switch type of nipple? or Silent Reflux?

My LO is 2 1/2 wks old, feeding takes about an hour. She eats every 2-3 hours. She uses a slow flow nipple and on Similac Advance formula (until I can pump again). This includes feeding total of 3-4oz with burping every 1/2-1oz and a diaper change. LO does well with first 2oz then falls asleep. Once she is out I can't wake her no matter what I try. But then she usually wakes up after a 10 min nap or two to eat more, but then she is super slow and that's when it really takes the longest to get her to eat the rest. 

Is this normal or should I switch to medium flow?

Also, she tends to take awhile to latch or shakes her head a lot when calm and giver the bottle, gets hiccups almost every time during, sometimes has wet burps, so could this be silent reflex? 

Re: When to switch type of nipple? or Silent Reflux?

• Options
    I'd probably wait until she is a month old before switching, you could try but you don't want them gulping it.  Im kinda having the same problem. i use Playtex VentAir bottles and was using the slow flow for almost 4 months then swtiched to fast (which is for 3-6+ months) but i've noticed him gulping it at times, not always but sometimes.. But the slow nipple is way too slow and i can tell he gets frustrated when drinking from it.  Unfortunatly there isn't a Medium flow for these bottles,  There is one called Variable 0-6 months but he can't seem to get anything out of those. (that was a waste of money)
  • Options
    Except for the wet burping, it doesn't really sound like silent reflux.  DD had it and her symptoms were: loud, wet, very stinky burps, extreme fussiness/colic, refusal to sleep laying flat, and an odd swallowing/gulping pattern.  She had plenty to drink (they often overfeed because the temporary sensation of milk going down the throat is soothing, only to get more reflux once it hits the stomach) and it was at a normal pace, but it was very gulp-y and like she was uncomfortable swallowing.  HTH.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"