Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Rice Cereal

Who is giving their 7 week old rice cereal at night? My family is trying to tell me he is old enough to get like 1/2 teaspoonful in his night time bottle to make him sleep longer, but I am scared to do it. I was breastfeeding and he has a milk protein allergy so we switched him to alimentum. We just got his stomach straight from this a week ago, so I don't want to jeapordize hurting his tummy again. What do you think?

Re: Rice Cereal

• I think unless your Pedi recommended it that it is a chocking hazard and is cruel for their little immature gut. Babies under the age of 4 months are supposed to just have formula and/or breast milk because that is what their bodies can easily digest. Rice cereal is much harder to digest and can cause a lot of tummy pain unless it is being administered for a reason so young (like for reflux, etc.).
    imageimage
  • Unless your pedi told you to do this I wouldnt.  most pedis suggest 4-6 months to start solids.  Mine has told me that we can start sooner with our LO (because he is a beast and has insatiable hunger) but he still would like us to wait until 3 months if we can (which we are able to).

Talk to your pedi about this first-and it does not always help LO sleep longer.  It does for some, but not all.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • 1/2 teaspoonful won't make your baby sleep longer. Talk to your pedi before doing this.
  • Rice cereal is a non-nutritive filler, your breast milk has everything the baby needs for 6 months. Giving Rice cereal isn't even recommended as a first food anymore!

from kellymom: 

Health experts and breastfeeding experts agree that it's best to wait until your baby is around six months old before offering solid foods. There has been a large amount of research on this in the recent past, and most health organizations have updated their recommendations to agree with current research. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):World Health OrganizationUNICEFUS Department of Health & Human ServicesAmerican Academy of PediatricsAmerican Academy of Family PhysiciansAmerican Dietetic AssociationAustralian National Health and Medical Research CouncilRoyal Australian College of General PractitionersHealth CanadaMost babies will become developmentally and physiologically ready to eat solids by 6-9 months of age. For some babies, delaying solids longer than six months can be a good thing; for example, some doctors may recommend delaying solids for 12 months if there is a family history of allergies.Reasons for delaying solids

Although some of the reasons listed here assume that your baby is breastfed or fed breastmilk only, experts recommend that solids be delayed for formula fed babies also. 

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html 

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • In my experience, adding rice cereal to the bottle does nothing to help babies sleep longer. We did at 3 months b/c DH was pushing for it and pedi said it would be ok. It didn't help him at all and we stopped after I made my point. I've also talked to many women who had a similar experience in that cereal/solids did nothing to help them sleep longer. What did work for us was increase the size of the daytime bottles.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • i gave it to my LO and it made it worse.. dont do it.. they are not ready for it
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't do it that young.  Wait or at least talk to your pedi first. I wouldn't put it in the bottle until LO was at least 3.5 months old.. I started putting it into DS bottle about 1-2 weeks ago.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"