June 2011 Moms

REALLY trying to eat semi-healthy

Yeah, so all I want to eat lately is carbs... carbs carbs and more carbs. I know that I'm going to be eating all sort of goodies tonight including lobster (probably with lots o' butter, yay!) so I'm attemping to eat healthy the rest of the day.  Right now I'm eating low fat cottage cheese with frozen peaches.  I have never really liked cottage cheese very much, but I am trying to force myself to like it since it's relatively low calorie/high in protein/calcium/all that other crap.... I keep telling myself "it's for baby!" but I'm just not feeling it.  blaaahhhh
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: REALLY trying to eat semi-healthy

• I know, I am just now getting past the whole carb thing and into more normal food.  I just couldn't handle anything else.  My OB wasn't worried and said it is normal at the beginning, but try to get healthy stuff in there where possible. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #1 5/30/07 M/C 8/26/10 at around 6 weeks BFP #2 10/16/10
  • luckily besides carbs, the only thing I really want is fruits and veggies. I am probably eating a cucumber and a bag of frozen strawberries a day!

I'm having to be really conscious about protein. I swear I could totally leave it out completely and not even think twice, so I'm having to remind myself to eat some meat, nuts, etc as often as I can.  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCarlaAndJames:

luckily besides carbs, the only thing I really want is fruits and veggies. I am probably eating a cucumber and a bag of frozen strawberries a day!

I'm having to be really conscious about protein. I swear I could totally leave it out completely and not even think twice, so I'm having to remind myself to eat some meat, nuts, etc as often as I can.  

You are more than welcome to get your protein from my cottage cheese.. bleck!

• I hear you on the protein.  I could ignore it completely and not notice. 

I can handle cottage cheese as long as it's mixed with enough stuff. I have a cheesecake recipe that uses cottage cheese for 1/2 the cream cheese and everyone swears it tastes almost as good--maybe turning your cottage cheese into a cake would help?  :)

• I LOVE cottage cheese (although my favorite, which my dad taught me when I was little, is plain lays potato chips with cottage cheese!!) 
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
  • Try making something you actually like and then incorperating fruits or veggies into it. 

Maybe go for a smoothie with milk/yogurt and fruit blended together instead of cottage cheese.  

• imageklv:

Try making something you actually like and then incorperating fruits or veggies into it. 

Maybe go for a smoothie with milk/yogurt and fruit blended together instead of cottage cheese.  

I like yogurt, but I think I'm just getting sick of it.  I eat it every day for lunch at work.. so I'm taking a break while I'm off for the week.  I'll go back to it next week. LOL  I also went through a smoothie phase.  I think I should be finding a way to incorporate veggies more.  Maybe if I start making veggies with a light dip made ahead of time, I'd actually eat it when I went to the fridge hungry.  Otherwise, I'll be too lazy to start cutting. 

• LOL. Lose the cottage cheese. Having a baby doesn't mean you always have to force youself to eat things you don't like. It means we have to be more thoughtful and creative.

Instead of the cottage cheese and fruit. Try smoothies. There are many ways to make the "creamy" part, including: yogurt, whip cream and ice, and milk and ice. And a little bit of sugar, sugar subsitute, or ice cream for a touch of sweetness. Throw in juice and fruits. Also, with enough fruit flavors, you can hide vegetables such a cucumber. Experiment with flavors, or look for recipies online.

I also love carbs...so I try to eat my meats and veggies with them. You make some beef stew with extra veggies pretty easy (just such for recipies). One of my favorites is potatoes, so I make various dishes with potatoes, veggies, and meat.   I add extra veggies to spagetti scause and use wheat noodles. It tastes good and I don't wheat. like whole And don't forget you can always add cheese!

Nuts are what I have difficult time with...I tend to eat peanut butter and apples. But you can also use peanut butter and fruit to make sandwhiches. You can also slip in certain nuts into pasta's and such fairly easily.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"