Northern California Babies

Lovely Christmas card from the IRS...

Our CPA made a mistake two years ago and we owe 4k asap.  Sure we can contest it, AFTER we pay, but the mistake is valid.  CPA is "sweet" enough to chip in $250 and free tax prep for life.

2010 can suck it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lovely Christmas card from the IRS...

• Ouch! That really sucks.

Free tax prep for life is nice...but considering the source I don't know if I'd want that CPA to continue to do my taxes.

• imagedanandkelly:

Ouch! That really sucks.

Free tax prep for life is nice...but considering the source I don't know if I'd want that CPA to continue to do my taxes.

ditto. yikes!

Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Loading the player...
  • Man that really really sucks! A simillar thing happened to my sis a few years ago, it was a big PITA to contest but they did get the money back.
  • You might call your CPA and ask who their E&O carrier is; my guess is there is some type of coverage for such matters.  I'll see if DH knows anything about this and let you know...
  • imageLV2006:
    You might call your CPA and ask who their E&O carrier is; my guess is there is some type of coverage for such matters.  I'll see if DH knows anything about this and let you know...

I was thinking this too, isn't this the reason you have a CPA do your taxes...so you're protected in some way?

• So not what you guys need to end off 2010.  I'm sorry.
  • That SUCKS!
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • That sucks!  If I had a CPA I'd expect NO mistakes.

When I did our taxes several years ago, the IRS said I made an error that was going to cost $2K. Turns out they were missing a form and once I sent it, I owed nothing.  Hope it's a mistake that can be fixed in your favor. 

• imagedanandkelly:

imageLV2006:
    You might call your CPA and ask who their E&O carrier is; my guess is there is some type of coverage for such matters.  I'll see if DH knows anything about this and let you know...

I was thinking this too, isn't this the reason you have a CPA do your taxes...so you're protected in some way?

that's why we have one!

• Unfortunately, E & O (Errors & Ommissions) insurance doesn't cover the tax due if it is or was legitamtely due, just fees, penalties, and interest.  But 100%, if the IRS is charging you interest and penalties for the last four years, you should DEFINATELY go after the CPA for the E & O money! 

I'm a CPA, not on the tax side, but things like this make all of us look bad, and it is unethical of your CPA not to mention that he/she has insurance coverage for these circumstances.  Unfortunately, the tax due is due regardless, unless it's something that is incorrect, at which point you can contest it with the IRS.

Good Luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"