Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Britax Chaperone - wld u buy?

So I've looked into different travel systems for infants. I like this one the best. Is it foolish to buy something that has a recall? it just the chest strap and if I buy a new travel system and I have the proper chest clip, there shouldn't be a problem, right?

Would you buy something that has a recall? or avoid it completely?  

opinions? insights? anyone have the Chaperone? 

EDIT: As far as the heavy thing goes, it doesn't matter much to me as it can accommodate bigger babies and will be able to use it longer. I already have a nice sized SUV so the larger base doesn't worry me. I plan to use the infant seat with stroller, then the stroller alone, then graduate to a mcclarin of some sort when the baby is bigger! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Britax Chaperone - wld u buy?

• Options
    I have heard alot of  mixed things about the Britax Chaperone, if you look on consumer reports you can read the reviews and see the ratings, alot of people said it was heavier than most and hard to fint in their cars. we are getting the Chicco Keyfit 30.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucketimage imageimage
  • Options
    I don't know about the Chaperone but I probably would avoid a recall. I have loved out Chicco Keyfit 30's through 4 kids. Now, I do love the Britax brand for the convertible carseats though.
    Caroline Faith 1.10.06, Audrey Alexis 11.1.07, Noah James & Ethan Alexander 6.17.10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    To be honest, you are going to have a very hard time avoiding a company that has recalls. Pretty much every car seat manufacturer has had a recall. Britax, Graco, Dorel (which makes Safety First/Eddie Bauer). So, no. I would not buy something just because it has been recalled. If you buy now, the seat you purchase should not be part of the recall.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I have the chaperone and LOVE it!  We just moved into her next seat but will use the Chaperone again in the future.  I called them and they next dayed the chest clip.  Honestly, it looks the same but I am sure it is different.  They actually shipped me two... I guess incase I needed a second.  I love Britax and will probably never use anything else.  The Chaperone is big with the base in the car, my only complaint.  But I felt like it was sturdy and that if a car accident was to happen, I knew she would be safe.  Part of the large base is the reason it is so safe too, the anti rebound bar.  As far as heavy, it is no heavier than the rest once you put a child who just keeps gaining weight in it.  Britax customer service is awesome and will always help you with anything and they truly stand behind their products.  I typically stay clear of recalled products but if you look into this recall, no one died, it was a potential to hurt which makes me feel better too.
  • Options

I wouldn't base my decision on the recalls.  The beloved Chicco has had a recall in the past as well as the Graco Snug Ride 22.  It is hard to find a car seat manufacture that hasn't had a recall in the past.

I will say though that the Britax seat is one of the heaviest infant seats out there and IMO, not worth the extra $$$.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

I'm planning on getting it, assuming it fits well in my car. Will go to BBB and do a test-install sometime soon. I've looked at it in person and it seems awesome. The recall issue doesn't bother me, as almost all baby gear companies have to do recalls at some point or another. The user reviews on Consumer Reports are actually very favorable, too - average rating is 4.5/5. Pricewise, the car seat itself is not much more/the same price as a Keyfit 30 (depending on color), at least on Amazon.

Everyone complains that it's soooooo heavy, but according to Consumer Reports, the Chaperone is 10lbs, the Snugride 35 is 9.75lbs, and Keyfit 30 is 9. Once a baby is in there, the weight difference isn't going to be very noticable - they'll all feel heavy! I plan on wearing my baby a lot and don't foresee myself constantly lugging the carrier around, so the extra pound is no big deal in my book.

Just make sure you really want the travel system though - a lot of people complain about them being super bulky, and prefer using different strollers w/ their car seats. 

p
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"