Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Mixing formula on the go.

I've heard that alot of Moms put water in the bottles ahead of time, and then mix in the correct amount of formula when it's time to feed (or is it vice versa?).  When you do this though, the powder takes up extra room in the bottle and makes more formula that you really need/want.  Do you feed your baby the extra formula or just stop feeding after they've taken the correct amount of ounces?  Or do you put less water in the bottle to begin with.

Just trying to figure out how to make life easier when we're out and about, but I wasn't quite sure how others normally do this.  Thanks!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Congratulations to my girl AmberZ! So happy for you!

Re: Mixing formula on the go.

• On the cans, it says to use the correct number of scoops per ounces of water. 2 scoops = 4 ounces of water. It also says, usually under the chart, that 1 scoop will add 0.2 ounces when mixed and that it's normal. I always just fill to the 4 ounce line no matter if I am out or at home and he takes the whole thing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagefirefly21989:
    On the cans, it says to use the correct number of scoops per ounces of water. 2 scoops = 4 ounces of water. It also says, usually under the chart, that 1 scoop will add 0.2 ounces when mixed and that it's normal. I always just fill to the 4 ounce line no matter if I am out or at home and he takes the whole thing.

This, though I have asked myself the same question you're asking. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I feed DS as much as he wants to eat. I usually make 6 ounces, but sometimes he'll only eat 5 and sometimes he'll want the whole 6.

If you make a 4 ounce bottle, it's really only 4 ounces of water, even though it appears to be more once the formula is added. You should always put the correct amount of water in, otherwise the formula can be too thick. Markings on the bottle can be off too, so you may want to use a measuring cup. We use the playtex drop in bottles, however, when I bought the 8 ounce bottles, I apparently bought the ones that use the expandable drop ins, so the markings are different from the ones that just use the regular drop ins. I refuse to buy the expensive playtex expandables liners and use the target brand regular liners, so I always measure out 6 ounces of water in a measuring cup before filling the bottle, since the markings are off. 

As far as on the go: I always measure the water out and put in the bottle before hand (we use the playtex drop ins). The formula gets measured out too but put in one of those containers that has 3 separate compartments. That way i don't have to carry the can of formula along and everything is pre-measured. I don't warm bottles up and use room temperature bottled water so I don't have to worry about warming up bottles on the go either.  

• imagefirefly21989:
    On the cans, it says to use the correct number of scoops per ounces of water. 2 scoops = 4 ounces of water. It also says, usually under the chart, that 1 scoop will add 0.2 ounces when mixed and that it's normal. I always just fill to the 4 ounce line no matter if I am out or at home and he takes the whole thing.

I do this too.  I keep a bunch of bottles prefilled with water and mix up bottles as I need too.  LO usually will take the entire 4oz bottle plus the little amount it expands too.  I just count that as 4oz.  

Dec '09 IVF #1 = Epic Fail Feb '10 FET #1 = Epic Success!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." - Henry David Thoreau
    formula-feeding, co-napping, sposie-using, baby-wearing, ap-ish mamma! Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagefirefly21989:

I do this too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I fill to the 4oz (or whatever oz we're giving them) and then add the powder.  It barely barely goes over the 4oz line once the powder is added.  It's really a negligable amount and it settles after the formula powder has been added, so you should follow the mixing instructions instead of adding/taking away any amount of water. 

As to the formula powder, we buy the Similac Advance "On the go" packets from BRU.  It's exactly 4 oz worth of formula in a packet, so we never have to worry about taking the big thing of formula with us.  It worked really well when we were out and about during this past weekend.  

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Thanks for your answers!! 

We've been using the pre-made cans of forumla when we we need to go out, but those are expensive and I've wanted to find an alternative.  Thanks again.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Congratulations to my girl AmberZ! So happy for you!
  • imagedetokiet:

I feed DS as much as he wants to eat. I usually make 6 ounces, but sometimes he'll only eat 5 and sometimes he'll want the whole 6.

If you make a 4 ounce bottle, it's really only 4 ounces of water, even though it appears to be more once the formula is added. You should always put the correct amount of water in, otherwise the formula can be too thick. Markings on the bottle can be off too, so you may want to use a measuring cup. We use the playtex drop in bottles, however, when I bought the 8 ounce bottles, I apparently bought the ones that use the expandable drop ins, so the markings are different from the ones that just use the regular drop ins. I refuse to buy the expensive playtex expandables liners and use the target brand regular liners, so I always measure out 6 ounces of water in a measuring cup before filling the bottle, since the markings are off. 

As far as on the go: I always measure the water out and put in the bottle before hand (we use the playtex drop ins). The formula gets measured out too but put in one of those containers that has 3 separate compartments. That way i don't have to carry the can of formula along and everything is pre-measured. I don't warm bottles up and use room temperature bottled water so I don't have to worry about warming up bottles on the go either.  

I fill the bottle to 4 oz of water, and then use the product mentioned above. I put two scoops in one of the sections, and one scoop in each of the other sections. So I can give DD two 4 oz feedings or one 4 oz feedings with two follow up 2 oz feedings to top her off. I sometimes carry a second bottle, depending on whether I will be able to get water wherever I am going. If you don't have one of these containers, I had been using plastic sandwich bags and tossed an extra scooper in there so that I can measure on the go.

• imagedetokiet:

I feed DS as much as he wants to eat. I usually make 6 ounces, but sometimes he'll only eat 5 and sometimes he'll want the whole 6.

What are these called and where do I find them?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I put water in the bottles ahead of time so the water is room tempature water when I go to feed my LO (I don't use a bottle warmer) and then I just add in the scoops of formula when it is time to feed my LO. I don't count the extra ounces the formula adds.

DD - Juliana Joan - Born October 27, 2010 - My Little Princess

BFP 1/14/13 - M/C 1/22/13 @ 5 weeks

BFP 3/20/13 - EDD 11/11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• imageEric&Abby:

Formula Dispensers clicky  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMama_SAS:

imageEric&Abby:

Thanks for that link.  I guess I'm confused as to why these are helpful.  You have to measure out the formula and dump it into this and then when you are ready, pour it out into a bottle that has water in it?  Is that right? 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I mix the water and formula to begin with and stick it in the diaper, they say after i think an hour the formula "isnt good" I don't buy that, my mom didn;t go by that with my brother and sister so i don't either! I don't give T a bottle that been out for more then 2 hours though!

Teagan-11/22/10
    Scarlett Madison-12-18-2014
    Baby # 3 Due 06/02/16

Furchildren include
    Kali 12/20/10-Husky-Has Addison's Disease.
    Doxie 10/04/11-Dachsund
    Tadley 11/12-Cat Ruler of the house.
  • imageEric&Abby:
    imageMama_SAS:

imageEric&Abby:

Thanks for that link.  I guess I'm confused as to why these are helpful.  You have to measure out the formula and dump it into this and then when you are ready, pour it out into a bottle that has water in it?  Is that right? 

Yep that's right. It's helpful because you don't have to carry a whole can of formula, or worry about bringing an extra scoop along if you're putting in a regular tupperware container or a ziploc. This way you've always got the correct amount of formula for whatever bottles you make.

Thanks Mama_SAS for the link. :)

• imageAndysWifey342010:
    I mix the water and formula to begin with and stick it in the diaper, they say after i think an hour the formula "isnt good" I don't buy that, my mom didn;t go by that with my brother and sister so i don't either! I don't give T a bottle that been out for more then 2 hours though!

I know you meant to type 'diaper bag' but this struck me as funny.  I had to reread it to understand that you weren't making a joke!  Sometimes I do feel like I might as well just dump the formula straight into the diaper because it ends up there anyways! 

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"