High-Risk Pregnancy

GD = 50% chance of becoming diabetic later?

My OB quoted to me today that "Having GD means you have a 50% chance of becoming diabetic within the next 2 years."

Have you heard this before? I've heard that it's a warning sign for diabetes later on, but that high? And that soon?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: GD = 50% chance of becoming diabetic later?

• Oh gosh, I can't remember the percentage, but the educator at the hospital said that in the Chicago area it is usually within 5 years vs. 10 years due to socioeconomic and ethnicity reasons.  So I've only heard 10 years in my readings, but then she brought up the 5 year stat specific to Chicago.  Definitely have never heard 2 years anywhere.
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I went to my GD class the dietician told us half of us would develop Type II sometime during our lives.  She didn't mention a specific timeframe.  It sucks.  I went to a class on pre-diabetes and preventing diabetes.  I've been trying to lose weight, but it's hard.  (Obviously I'm not pregnant anymore.) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow two years seems really extreme. I never had GD but my Mom did when she was having me. She had a very extreme case, early onset in her pregnancy and she didn't have any other problems with diabetes until her mid 50's. I thought it was reflective of a lifetime risk, just like pre-e means you are more likely to have BP issues in th future.
    PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
  • My dietician said if I didn't take care of my-self and eat healthy after the baby was born I was 50% more likely to have Diabetes when I got older.  If I ate healthy and watched my weight it dropped to 25% more likely.  She never gave me any time frame for developing Diabetes, but I have family history of old age, obesity on-set diabetes on both sides.  I'm going to be more careful even after baby is born.  But, I will not give up my Italian or Chinese entirely.
  • imagemrsbnlmel:
    I thought it was reflective of a lifetime risk, just like pre-e means you are more likely to have BP issues in th future.

This is what I thought as well, since a big risk factor for GD is having Type 2 diabetes somewhere in your genetic pool. Both of my parents have it (onset in their late 50s/early 60s), so I had similar odds even before the GD.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am a dietitian and I have not seen the "50% in two years" anywhere. The statistics I use currently are 50% lifetime and 20-30% within 5-10 years. However, staying under a BMI of 30 (i.e. out of the obese range), exercising, and following a healthy diet (not the GD diet, just a healthy, balanced diet) will reduce your chances significantly. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"