Baby Names
Options

Malachi/Kai

I really like the name Kai. I know it is a "real name," but wonder if the name Malachi isn't a better choice, with the option of calling the child "Kai" as a nn. DH doesn't think that you can make Kai a nn from Malachi...he thinks I'd have to spell it Chi, and then the child would be called "Chee."

I disagree. I said that Rebecca turns into Becky, with a ck instead of cc. He thinks that's a stretch for a comparison. Well, maybe it is. But what do you think? Could Malachi be Kai for short, or should I just consider Kai as the given name? 

Re: Malachi/Kai

• Options
    I think it would be fine for Kai to be a nn for Malachi.  You are right that not all nns are spelled exactly from the original name.  Although if I were you I'd just use Kai, if that is what you are planning on calling him for the most part.  
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Angel Baby: 5/29/08

• Options

I like the idea of using Malachi w/the nn Kai. I am a fan of having a formal name in the event DC wants to use it in the future. (We call our DDs Mo & Maevie)

I also like Malachi & Maeve together!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If I saw Chi as a nickname, I'd totally pronounce it right... but probably more because of things like Chi Square and the Optic Chiasm and Chiastic poetry. :P But I'm sure most people will say Chee. I don't think it'll be a big problem if he just told everyone how it's really pronounced OR he could just spell it Kai. I mean, did you know that Sally was originally a nickname for Sarah - not Sarry. I'd probably go for Malachi just for the fact that it doesn't look so hippie as Kai.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options

you're right, people change the spelling for NN's all the time (Lucas to Luke, Thomas to Tom, Marcus to Mark if you need more examples for DH). It is very common and not strange at all. 

So if that's the only hangup you both have...I like Malachi better than just Kai.  

• Options
    I like Malachi or Kai on their own. And they both have very different meanings, so I don't think it's the same as Luke/Lucas or Rebecca/Becky. Because they are each names in their own right. If you like just Kai, then I would just go with Kai. Just my opinion...
  • Options

I love Malachi and I think Kai is a great NN

I think most nicknames excuse spelling continuity. I mean Abby/Abigail (although my stepdaughter's mother bypassed this by naming her Abbygail....SMDH). Also, how did *** becaome a NN for Richard?

baby joel 5.22.11
  • Options
    Kai is a happy name while Malachi reminds me of children of the corn. Pls don't mix them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

DS is just Kai, but I do get asked all the time if it is short for Malachi - so it seems to be a pretty standard nn for it around here :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageNotwifezilla7:

I like the idea of using Malachi w/the nn Kai. I am a fan of having a formal name in the event DC wants to use it in the future. (We call our DDs Mo & Maevie)

I also like Malachi & Maeve together!

This.

Isaac Levi 4/26/09 : BFP#2 - MC 9w : Ezra John 6/26/11 : Miriam Joy 4/12/13 : Naomi Ann 9/2/14

• Options

I also think Kai is a pretty standard nickname for Malachi. I've known two Malachis -- one who went by Kai and one who asked everyone NOT to call him Kai. Ironically, the latter spelled his name Malakai, which is an alternate spelling.

I say go for it. I love both names. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"