Northern California Babies
Options

s/o Boy Scout alternitive question

Since I highly doubt the Girl Scouts are so inclusive as let me sign my son up (plus I think DH will veto the idea) is there an alternitive to the Boy Scouts that is inclusive? I realize I won't need the orginization for a while but today's post got my mind thinking about it.

Re: s/o Boy Scout alternitive question

• Options
    Excellent question and I hope someone will chime in w/some awesome suggestion.  Because this is something that DH and I have talked about.  DH had many wonderful experiences in the Boy Scouts but believes as strongly as I do that it's just not an organization we can support or with which we can allow our son to associate.  :( 
  • Options

imageMrs_Shmoopie:
    Excellent question and I hope someone will chime in w/some awesome suggestion.  Because this is something that DH and I have talked about.  DH had many wonderful experiences in the Boy Scouts but believes as strongly as I do that it's just not an organization we can support or with which we can allow our son to associate.  :( 

Mine has great memories from his too, which makes it hard for him to understand where I am comming from with not wanting to support the orginazation. :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options

When I was in elementary school some of my friends did Campfire, which I believe was co-ed... I found it online here:

https://campfireusa.org/index.aspx

but it looks like there aren't very many groups in CA today, just one in Oakland and some in central/southern cal.

• Options
    Camp Fire Boys and Girls - so fun!  I had totally forgotten about this.  When I was in high school, I led a camp fire troop along with 2 other friends.  Such a sweet group of kids!
  • Options
    I haven't looked into it yet, but am hoping to find 4H around here.  My mom did it and still speaks highly of it.  I haven't done any research into their inclusiveness or whatnot- otherwise CampFire might be it!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Playing devil's advocate:  Rather than run from the organization, why not join the fight to pressure them to change?  Isn't that what a boy scout does?  Serves the community?  Makes the world a better place? etc.

Here's one boy scout's fight:

https://www.kidzworld.com/article/986-volunteer-changing-the-boy-scouts

(off my soap box)

Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageSweetieP:

Playing devil's advocate:  Rather than run from the organization, why not join the fight to pressure them to change?  Isn't that what a boy scout does?  Serves the community?  Makes the world a better place? etc.

(off my soap box)

Great point, but if I am still giving them my money is there any reason for them to change despite my loud voice? I feel actions speak louder than words and am willing to put money where my mouth is. I would rather my son be a part of an inclusive group where they reinforce the major values of my family/community, than fight to change a groups major values. Make sense?

• Options
    imagekittylove:
    imageSweetieP:

(off my soap box)

Great point, but if I am still giving them my money is there any reason for them to change despite my loud voice? I feel actions speak louder than words and am willing to put money where my mouth is. I would rather my son be a part of an inclusive group where they reinforce the major values of my family/community, than fight to change a groups major values. Make sense?

Totally makes sense to me....I was just playing Devils' Advocate.  I'm not sure what the financial obligations are for scouting these days so I couldn't comment on that aspect. I more was commenting on the social responsibility that we could teach to our children by asking and encouraging them to fight for what is right vs going with what is easy. And if that means from the inside OR from outside the scouting arena.  It does seem sort of contradictory to say that you don't support it but then enroll, doesn't it?

I have no idea if Ryan will be a boy scout or not - it depends on what his interest level is and his age.  I'm definitely not saying that I support the boy scout's archaic mentality - I'm just saying that at some point, "you" have to get up and be the squeaky wheel...and put the pressure on.  (Please don't take this as "you"...I mean it collectively: as in society). I think it's deplorable and sad that BSA could be so close-minded considering all the wonderful leaders that they turn out.  I can only assume that some of these leaders are able to work for equality.

Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"