Natural Birth
Options

Group B Strep Question

I just found out that I tested positive for the Group B strep. I had planned to labor at home as long as possible before heading to the birth center. Now that I need an IV with the antibiotics to prevent the infection, I'm wondering if I have to head in as soon as I think I'm in labor.

I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with this that could fill me in before my next appointment.

Thank you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Group B Strep Question

• Options
    Usually they don't test that early b/c it can come and go anyways, so I would just ask for them to retest around 37 weeks like normal and go from there.  Otherwise I do think somebody asked this question earlier this week (sorry, forgot the post title). 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My midwife said that if your use the pennasilyn (i know thats spelled wrong...) it only takes 45 minutes or so. I'm allergic so I have to go in sooner, the alternative takes a few hours.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagechicsub:
    Usually they don't test that early b/c it can come and go anyways, so I would just ask for them to retest around 37 weeks like normal and go from there.  Otherwise I do think somebody asked this question earlier this week (sorry, forgot the post title). 

Thanks, I'll go back and look.

• Options

I was GBS positive when pregnant with DD and I was told something similar because they like to give you two rounds of penicillin if there's time. Unfortunately my labor started with my water breaking so I ended up having to go to the hospital right away anyway and I had lots of time to get both rounds.

But like pp said they should test you again and hopefully you'll be neg at that point! GL!

• Options

It's probably in her urine since it's this early in pregnancy.  No doctor swabs for GBS at 15 weeks.  CDC guidelines say that GBS in urine at any time in pregnancy should get treatment in labor.

While pencillin only takes about 30-45 min to run in, you need 4 hours after the initial dose for it to be effective.

This is a great question for your doctor/midwife as when to go to the hospital.  Early neonatal sepsis from GBS is very bad, so PCN is a must!

Good luck!!

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options

I was GBS+. Per my CNM's policy, she allows you to not do the antibiotics unless you have prolonged rupture of membranes, or a fever, or...(there was one more condition, which I no longer remember). Anyway, we planned and had a homebirth.

So the short answer is (in my completely non-medical opinion, not really knowing you/your history), labor at home if you wish.

Personally, I think it's kind of crazy to treat all GBS+ women with antibiotics because they *might* pass an infection on when the risk of the infection is really, really low.  But that's just me, and I very low-intervention when it comes to birth.

Oh, and I never got antibiotics. I never had a fever in labor, and my water didn't break until late in labor. So it wasn't really necessary.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagebarnwife:

I was GBS+. Per my CNM's policy, she allows you to not do the antibiotics unless you have prolonged rupture of membranes, or a fever, or...(there was one more condition, which I no longer remember). Anyway, we planned and had a homebirth.

So the short answer is (in my completely non-medical opinion, not really knowing you/your history), labor at home if you wish.

Personally, I think it's kind of crazy to treat all GBS+ women with antibiotics because they *might* pass an infection on when the risk of the infection is really, really low.  But that's just me, and I very low-intervention when it comes to birth.

Oh, and I never got antibiotics. I never had a fever in labor, and my water didn't break until late in labor. So it wasn't really necessary.

Agreed

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    I tested positive for GBS early, too. I'm working under the assumption that they found it in your urine, as they did mine. My plan is to go to the hospital at the same time that I would have before. Most first timers like myself end up getting there with plenty of time anyway. I will receive the antibiotics, because even though the risk is small, it's serious. I also will be refusing all vaginal exams to reduce the risk of infection, especially if my water has broken. Make sure to ask about a hep-lock so that when they're done administering the antibiotics they don't pump you full of unnecessary fluids!
  • Options
    I tested positve 2 weeks before delivering naturally.  I'd suggest you check with your Dr.'s policy and ask how long they'd let you wait.  I stayed at home as long as I could like 2-3 hours after calling the Dr. to tell him my water broke.  Yes the Hep lock is also a good idea. They minimized vagnial exams to only 2 during labor.  Ask if they only give one dose or if they will give you several doses of the antibiotic. My Dr. insisted on giving me a dose every 4 hours --which I felt was not neccesary. I was laboring for 24 hours so I wouln't want that again. good luck!
  • Options

I am also delivering in a birth center, although I haven't been GBS tested yet... My CNM told me that you can waive GBS treatment because the chances of passing it are slim, but if the baby does come down with the infection it will be extremely rapid so it would have to be caught soon... She also said that there are ways that you can help get rid of GBS in the months prior so that you will test negative when you go into labor...but didn't explain what these were since I'm not getting tested for a while...

If you still test positive and choose to be treated, maybe you should ask about options other than an IV...My CNM said there was a small needle that they could place in the back of your hand, but instead of being hooked up to the bag, they would just inject the antibiotics into the little tube-y thing they placed in your hand (Sorry, I don't know what it was called)...This way you can still move around without having to drag the IV bag with you...

Good Luck

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"