February 2011 Moms
Options

Team Green: When are you having your babyshower?

For those of you who are also waiting to find out the gender til delivery... Are you having your baby shower before LO is born or waiting til after?  This is our first child and not sure if we should do it beforehand (to get odds and ends... and lots of green and yellow apparel).  Or wait til a few weeks after baby is born so that people can get us the things we're missing and gender specific things (as well as meet the LO).  Curious what eveyone is doing....

Re: Team Green: When are you having your babyshower?

• Options

i had mine at 32 weeks with my son.  Having a team green shower was wonderful.   I got a few neutral outfits and such, but most of my registry went.  I know a lot of my friends who knew the sex said they got drowned in clothes at their shower and not as many essentials  (and who can blame the guests really-  it is so much fun to shop for baby clothes when you know the sex).  I actually think the shower is one of the benefits of being team green LOL.

Also-  whether we were team green or not, I would still have registered for neutral items (bouncer, swing, activity mat) that could be used for future children, so really it was only clothes that were an issue.   And so many people give you some after the birth and it is easy enough to get more.

EDD with #4  01-20-14
    Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

• Options

My shower is planned for January 8th.  I don't know your due date, but it may be a little late to start planning one if you're due in early to mid-February.  Is someone planning your shower for you?  Showers are meant to be a special event planned by a friend or relative in celebration of you and LO, not as a way to get presents.  In many ways it's up to that person or people on when they want to have it.  Often the event themselves cost more than what you "get". 

Whenever you have the shower, you can usually exchange stuff that you don't want if you get too much of stuff you won't use.  Some people like to have a welcoming meet the baby party and I think those are great too, but I don't think that they should be planned just to accommodate the gifts you want.  There is so much that you will need up front regardless of the sex of your child.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I'm not due til Feb 27. My SIL is throwing a shower for me and she asked my preference on before or after baby arrives.  I'm just excited to have a shower and curious what others have done.
  • Options
    my shower is next weekend.  i never considered having a shower after lo arrives- to be honest, i'm banking on receiving few items off of my registry (how ungrateful, i know) to use once lo gets here. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Mine was on Dec 4.

I wouldn't solely count on the shower for gifts - what if its a bad day and hardly no one shows up (like what happened to me). 

In any case, I registered for neutral items, which was partly because we hope to have more than one and we can re-use a lot of it. I got more gift cards than clothes - I think people get thrown off by not knowing the sex these days. 

PG#1 - 3rd cycle BFP. Team Green. HELLP syndrome @ 34 weeks.
    Later diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, possible link to HELLP.

PG#2 M/C 3/14 - Surprise BFP 2/13. Beta's doubled every 52 hours from 3w5d-5w5d
    Viable pregnancy scan at 5w5d; 2nd u/s showed 2 days of growth in 7 but a HB of 120
    3rd u/s on 3/10/14 had no HB and baby had only grown 7 days over 14
    D&C 3/17/14 - complications - DX Retroflexed uterus, multiple tears to cervix

All Welcome

Chart

• Options

Mines on the 16th. It'll be flu season and I know for sure I will not be able to handle that many people at a time with a new baby even two months after I don't think i'd be able to handle it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

Our baby site: Baby Cragg

• Options
    I have one shower on Jan 9 and another the weekend of Jan 15 16. We figure it would be easier to do it before hand. We have neutral items on there and would rather have green and yellow versus the pink or blues.

• Options
    I had my shower on Dec. 4th and it went great! We got a few outfits (2 or 3 sleep & plays, a few packs of onesies) and almost everything we needed from our registry. I wouldn't change a thing! We registered for neutral items such as the pack and play, swing, bouncer, boppy, etc and we would have picked them regardless of knowing the sex or not. I can be picky about clothes, so I'm really looking forward to choosing lots of the baby's outfits myself =)
    My cousin had her shower 2 weeks before mine, and knew she was having a boy. She got 95% clothes, and almost nothing from her registry, or things she actually would need.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My showers are the 2nd, 8th, and 20th of January.

I'll admit, I'm kinda happy that being team green will deter people from buying me a ton of clothes. I was blessed to receive a TON of great hand-me-downs and it made my registry really specific about what odds and ends we still needed or wanted. I'm hoping that people shop off of there or give gift cards.

The way things are going, the baby could come before the last shower, but we're just playing it day by day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Our baby shower is being held on January 16th. I too would prefer more of the essentials and less cutesy outfits - so here's hoping team green pays off ;-)
  • Options

My best friend and mom are throwing my shower after the baby is born. I was asked whether I wanted it before or after and I said after. I've bought a lot of the major stuff used - crib, dresser, swing, jumperoo, bouncy chair, pack n play, snap n go stroller, bassinet, etc - and there isn't a whole lot more to buy before LO comes. We're buying the carseat ASAP and we ordered the glider and ottoman today. I've left some stuff on our BRU registry that baby won't need right away so that guests can buy from there if they want. If not, that's fine too, since I'm sure some people would rather buy cute clothes. I like the idea of having the shower a few weeks after LO is born so that people can meet him or her. I figure it's better to have a lot of people meet LO at once rather than one or two people coming over every week after he or she is born.

• Options
    I'm having mine next week.  I never thought of having it after because I'm more worried about essential things than I am baby clothes right now.  I'd be much happier with getting things like bottles or diapers than clothes, but that's just me.
  • Options

Had one in early Dec.  Loved having it that early because I had to travel, and because I just felt so loved afterwards...makes me feel more mentally and emotionally prepared for labor, delivery, and postpartum. 

Work shower is 1/12, and there's another local one sometime in Jan.  Invites haven't gone out yet for those (with holidays and all), but I'm just letting the hostesses handle it--no matter what, the parties will be fun.

Due 2/13.

I also am a little nervous about the flu etc. and LO, even though the incidence has been low this year.

• Options

My shower is a surprise but I am assuming that it will be on Jan 8th or 15th. I have been given strict orders to not buy anything until after the shower but it's killing me. I can't imagine waiting until after the baby is born. I am a planner and like to be organized way in advanced plus all of those thank you cards when the baby is here would never happen.

• Options

We're not Team Green, but we're planning on more LO's soon after this one (hopefully) so we're doing everything neutral anyway. We're due on Feb 28 & the shower is Jan 23rd (all I know is date & location).

I in the boat of doing it beforehand because I want to know what I need to buy afterward. If I wasn't having a shower, I would just get whatever we needed as it went on sale or I found a good price, but since I'm having one, I'd rather find out what family/friends are getting me so I can purchase what they don't. You may end up with alot of clothes anyway, it just depends on your guests. I've heard of it going boths ways.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"