Nurseries and Baby Gear

Do I really need a cradle?

Can the baby sleep in a playard next to my bed for the first couple of weeks?  I want to get him sleeping in his crib ASAP so I hope that it would not be for more than a month but his room is upstairs and mine is downstairs (there is no way around this unfortunately). It seems like such a waste to have a crib, a playard and a cradle.  Plus, the cribs have soft sides (not mesh sides like the playard) so it seems that airflow would not be great (SIDS paranoia).  

What do you all plan to do?  (I do not plan to do any "co-sleeping", I just want to keep the baby near me for a short time while I am very sore and getting used to my new sleepless schedule)

Thanks!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do I really need a cradle?

• No, you don't need a cradle. DS slept in the bassinet of the PnP in our room for the first 4 months. It worked really well for us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekatcarls:
    No, you don't need a cradle. DS slept in the bassinet of the PnP in our room for the first 4 months. It worked really well for us.

This.  Ours was a Carters one that had a bassinet attachment and it worked out great.  No problems transitioning her to the crib either.  I had her nap in the crib from day one though, the PnP was only for night sleeping.  Don't know how much that factored into us not having problems making the switch.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • The only reason we had a cradle was because it was a family heirloom.   My mom bought it for my aunt when she was PG with my oldest cousin.   All of my cousins plus both my brother and I slept in that cradle.   DS was the 10th baby in the family to use it.    We only used it for 2 months(DS slept in our computer room which is next to our bedroom for the first few months...we also have the issue of our bedroom and kids' bedrooms on 2 different floors)    Once he started moving around a bit a night, we moved him in the basinet part of the PNP.

If we didn't have the cradle we would have just used the PNP from day 1. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"