Pregnant after 35
Options

Are you going to go for #2?

If you are currently on #1 and past 35.  Are you planning on going for 2?  Ultimately, I'd like two chidlren. Naturally, as me and my eggs age the statistics are stacked against me (for a healthy baby) but I am thinking about going for 2.  What about you?
Married to the Mr. 8/6/2008- Together 10+ TTC #2 R/X unexplained infertility/premature ovarian failure/diminished ovarian reserve
FSH (16) AMH (.61) AFC (9)
Male factor: low sperm count/ low motility
IVF #1 11/10 brought us DS Stimming for IVF #2 begin 11/5/11 AFC (7) =( Protocol: Lurpon flare (2 days) + Lupron 10ml/Menopur 4 vials (AM) Lupron 10ml/300IU Gonal-F PM (converted to IUI) failed IVF 2.1 1/12 BFP!

Re: Are you going to go for #2?

• Options
    Yes, we would like another one, if we can swing it.  I'm 40 now, so time is definitely not on our side (DH is "only" 32), but we'll probably try.

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• Options

DH very much wants a second because he hated being an only child. I'll turn 40 a week before my due date but he's also quite a bit younger so he's not concerned about keeping up with two.

I figure there are just so many things we can't really predict yet (the rest of the pregnancy, the delivery, the general baby/toddler experience, the financial impact, how we actually juggle everything and how it impacts our relationship, etc) that I'm in a wait-and-see mindset. Not to mention the fact that in 2010 we got married, bought a house, and got pregnant, so my planning muscles really need a break...

We have agreed we won't go for fertility treatments for a second one. The money just won't be there, especially once we already have one that we're committed to providing for. We somehow managed this one simply by stopping birth control -- and I realize how very rare/lucky that is -- but a couple years could certainly change that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are.  I was 39 when I had DD#1, and will be 40 when DD#2 comes.  Yes I'm freaking tired as all get out but I also didn't want to wait too long.  Surprisingly this pregnancy has been a healthier one than the first.  By this time in the first pregnancy, I was on bed rest.  No sign of bed rest this time (thank goodness!)
  • Options
    Trying for #2 now. Wish us luck! I was 38 when I had #1 and if I get pregnant soon, I'll be 40 by the time we'll have #2. It was not a choice to start so late, DH and I only met when I was 35.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    17 weeks into #2 and I am going to be 37 when the baby arrives.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We are expecting twins. We did have one embryo left over that we froze from this cycle.  I am 41 now; but think I will try one more time with that embryo! 

• Options
    I'm 15 weeks into #2 and I'll be 38 when I deliver (turning 39 about 3 months later). We thought #2 might take a while given my age but it only took 2 cycles. I'm pretty sure I'm done after this one.
  • Options
    I was 2 weeks shy of 36 when I had my 1st and am 37 now and excited for #2's arrival in March!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekristennd:

DH very much wants a second because he hated being an only child. I'll turn 40 a week before my due date but he's also quite a bit younger so he's not concerned about keeping up with two.

I figure there are just so many things we can't really predict yet (the rest of the pregnancy, the delivery, the general baby/toddler experience, the financial impact, how we actually juggle everything and how it impacts our relationship, etc) that I'm in a wait-and-see mindset. Not to mention the fact that in 2010 we got married, bought a house, and got pregnant, so my planning muscles really need a break...

We have agreed we won't go for fertility treatments for a second one. The money just won't be there, especially once we already have one that we're committed to providing for. We somehow managed this one simply by stopping birth control -- and I realize how very rare/lucky that is -- but a couple years could certainly change that. 

To add: my story is very similar to kristennd's (though I'm already 40 and we only moved to another apartment rather than a house this year along with getting married and getting pregnant).  We haven't decided whether we'll forego fertility treatments for #2, but at the least we will probably stick with only what insurance will cover.  But everything kristennd said about predicting the next couple of years is spot on for me too.  I would like some bit of a break before TTC #2 (though I know I can't wait too long). 

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• Options
    I had # 1 at 35 (just 6 weeks shy of 36) and baby #2 is already in the oven and due May 2011.  That will be it for us. 
  • Options
    I will be happy to have just this one.  I am 41 now and DH is 46.
    My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that wants to try again.  I am 37 and will be 38 when LO is born.  My oldest son is 12 so I really want to give this one a playmate.  DH and I have decided to just see what happens.  I know my family and friends will think I'm crazy if I get pg again, but I don't care. 

• Options
    Yes - we will definately go for #2. I'll be 36 when I deliver this one - we'll wait a year, maybe a little more, and try for #2. H has a brother and I have 3 sisters - we'd like our son to have a sibling to grow-up with but also want to spend the first year paying full attention to LO before trying - not to mention we're first time parents so we'll be on a learning curve.

• Options

Was just wondering about this.  Both my husband and I are 41 and we just had our son.  We were told initially that it would not be easy for us to start a family when we were married in January, but Lo and behold, we got pregnant right after the wedding. so, our little guy is a true blessing.  Since we were so lucky with a healthy pregnancy, and for the fact that we are getting older by the minute with our chances for another baby declining, I am not going back on birth control.  My doctor said that if we were thinking about it at some point, it didn't make any sense to go through the whole hormone thing to only go off of it when we were ready. He said to just go for it.   Well, i think i just finished my first post partum period and am worried that if I did become pregnant again so soon, our children would be very close in age.  Is that a bad thing?  I am scared about my body going though everything all over again right now, but I don't want to risk getting too much older, too. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did - first at 35, second at 39...  would love to try for a third but hubby is fine with 2.  go for it!
  • Options

I am nearly 20 weeks into my second pregnancy, and I will be two weeks shy of my 36th birthday if I deliver at my EDD.

I have so many friends who are putting off getting pregnant because they just aren't ready. I don't think I'd let age stop me if I really wanted a second. 

• Options
    I was 2 weeks shy of 36 when G was born.  We'll probably wait till she is 15-18 months before trying for #2.  If all goes well, I'll be 38 when I have that baby.  Not sure if we'd try for a 3rd or not.
    BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • Options
    We're leaving that up in the air.  I'm 37 (will be 37.5 when I deliver).  We were 32 when we met, 35 when we married.  I have an 8.5 yr old SS so DH will have 2 when our DD arrives.  I never ever planned on having just one child (I'm one of two) but the thought of chasing a two and a half year old around at 40 scares me not to mention a 2 and a half year old and an infant!  I think hubby will be content with this one.  I may or may not be.  It took us over a year to conceive but were blessed with not requiring medical assistance.  I really don't think I'd use any fertility assistance to conceive a second.  If we decide to do it we'll let nature play it's course.  The car seat, etc. I've registered for are all girlie.
  • Options

I had #1 when I was 37 after trying for 8 years.  My husband and I were open to having more kids but decided to not do any fertility treatments.  I'm pregnant with #2 now, it was a very pleasant surprise since we weren't counting on conceiving naturally!  This one is due two months before I turn 40, and I'm feeling very good about it.  Will I go for three?  Probably not if we get a girl this time (our first was a boy), but if we get another boy, I don't know, we'll see how I feel at 42!  Hormones can make women do crazy things!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"