Working Moms

any teachers?

I am going back to work after New Year's. I teach 2nd grade. Any other teachers on here have any advice for balancing school and home? There is so much extra work (grading papers, etc.) that has to be brought home b/c there's not enough time at school to do it that I'm really worried about getting it all done.

Re: any teachers?

• I would just say to scale back as much as possible at school-- for example, are there any committees, etc that you are on that you can step down from?  You will also learn to be a bit more efficient at work... I always stay an hour after school to finish up what work I can.  It's more time away from my DD, but I want to be as present as I can with her when I am home with her, and like you said, it's impossible to do it all during the regular school day.  I also do some work after she goes to bed at night.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm the Director of Guidance, so slightly different, but I try to make sure I do not have to bring anything home. There are some nights that I do have to work, but I try to do it after my boys go to bed and there are some nights when I just have to sit at the table and tell my husband he's in charge. Good luck, I'm sure you will be able to find the right balance for you and your family.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I do the opposite of the previous posters.  I bring everything home.  Yes, it sucks, but I'd rather have an extra hour or two with my boys at night and finish the grading and odds and ends while the boys are asleep during the night. 

I also found that when I went back initially, I learned to manage my time better.  I spend less time socializing and I will often work though my lunch break.  I know that the more productive, I am during the day, the better I feel at night.  Good luck with your return.

• I would really try to gear your teaching towards as few worksheets as possible.  Begin to eliminate some of the "busy work" that also require you busy work.  I also simply do some things based just on completion like math homework.  I use to actually grade it, but now since I have assessment pieces within lessons I now just simply make a check mark if the item is returned.

You may also want to look into programs that bring tutors into your classroom, either from the high school or local colleges.  If you are organized enough to keep them busy while they are in your room it can greatly help with grading and checking.  Then you simply have to look at the results instead of the whole process.

Good Luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • I don't bring anything home.  I dropped a lot of commitments (coaching, committees). I'll go back to them at some point, but not right now. I've also learned that some of the things I thought were important just aren't.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • I teach 2nd grade, also. :)  I don't do a lot of grading. I correct their homework during recess, and have them fix their mistakes, but I don't "grade" it, just make sure it's complete.  I grade their main tests each week, but that's about it-and it doesn't really take long-I will even get half of them done while other students are finishing up, etc.
  • imagelami22005:
    I teach 2nd grade, also. :)  I don't do a lot of grading. I correct their homework during recess, and have them fix their mistakes, but I don't "grade" it, just make sure it's complete.  I grade their main tests each week, but that's about it-and it doesn't really take long-I will even get half of them done while other students are finishing up, etc.

Totally this!  Don't make more work for you than you need to.  Teaching is an exhausting profession, don't waste time on the non-important things.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • imagegoofyteacher:

I would really try to gear your teaching towards as few worksheets as possible.  Begin to eliminate some of the "busy work" that also require you busy work.  I also simply do some things based just on completion like math homework.  I use to actually grade it, but now since I have assessment pieces within lessons I now just simply make a check mark if the item is returned.

You may also want to look into programs that bring tutors into your classroom, either from the high school or local colleges.  If you are organized enough to keep them busy while they are in your room it can greatly help with grading and checking.  Then you simply have to look at the results instead of the whole process.

Good Luck!

This is what I do too.  Homework (most of it, anyway) is graded with a check (completely done), check minus (not complete) or a zero (not done or late.)  I do other things that require grading like essays & literary letters... and boy do these things take a long time!!!  I'm considering dropping the letters for a less time-intensive assessment, but have not figured this out yet.  The essays, unfortunately, are all part of teaching English.  

O and I REFUSE to work through my lunch.  I don't care how much time I am "wasting" by doing this.  I need SOME kind of human interaction while I'm at work!  And since most of my friends at work are also mothers, it's difficult to take after we leave the building.  (I DO use my preps for grading and planning though.)

So far, I have yet to bring a single paper home with me.  The kids know I have a one year old, so they don't really bug me too much.  ;) 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just wanted to say that I teach first and second grade and my maternity leave ends next week. Good luck to you and thanks to the ladies who posted replies. They helped me, too!

• I'm a little late to the party, but I teach 8th, 9th, 11th, and 12th grade special education. I've done three things to ensure that I don't bring work home:

1. I arrive to work 30 minutes warlier than I used to. 

2. I don't grade homework and classwork. I check for completeness.

3. Any papers I do grade are capped at 10 questions and 1 written response.

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"