TTC after 35
Options

SA results ?s

Still mostly a lurker around here, but am more comfortable on this board than on TTGP.

DH's SA results were a little low - about 12 million, and 20% morph (I didn't catch motility - grr!) The test was ordered by my OB, so she's not the best to ask these questions of. She would like to refer me to a fertility clinic.

My questions:   

Is any one factor more important than others - like motility? I mean maybe there's not many, and maybe they're not all perfect shape, but it only takes one good one to swim right...

Could circumstances surrounding collection affect analysis? I know he wasn't comfortable about doing the test, and he collected at home and drove to lab on a very, very frigid morning.

We're only in cycle #9 - feels long to me, but I know rationally, it's not that long. So, I'm trying to wrap my mind around whether we should even act on a referral yet, or just keep trying - maybe having less sex earlier in my cycle than we have been, so he can "rest up."

Sorry if these are silly questions, but I know there's a wealth of knowledge and support here. I welcome any thoughts.

TTC #1 since June 2010
Me: 36, DH: 42
Dx: DOR and MFI

DH: low count + very low motility; hormones all normal; Sperm DNA Frag. test = poor to fair; male karyotyping normal
Me: FSH 13.4 + AMH 0.26 + hypothyroidism; Scratch the hypothyrodism (?); Blood clotting and immune panel all negative; endometrial biopsy normal

IVF #1 (MDLF - Jul/Aug 2011): BFN (9R, 5M, 3F with ICSI, 3dt of 1 10-cell grade 2, no frosties)
IVF #2 (EP-antagonist - Sep/Oct 2011): BFN (6R, 4M, 3F w/ ICSI, 3dt of 1 6-cell, 1 7-cell, grade 4s, no frosties)
DE IVF #1 (shared cycle - June 2012): c/p (6R, 6F w/ICSI, 3dt 1 8-cell grade A- and 1 7-cell grade A-; no frosties)
DE IVF #2 (shared cycle with new donor - Nov/Dec/ 2012): - BFP!!!!! 12/14/12. U/S on 12/27 shows twins!!!!!

SAIFW/PAIFW

Re: SA results ?s

• Options

My husband had his done by his primary and then when we went to the fertility center, he went to a urologist.

The 12 million, is that the total amount or total motile? We are doing IVF because of his low sperm count and motility. We can't do IUI because there won't be enough to swim to where they need to go. Last IVF we did, he had 8 million motile. Thats mostly what they are looking for. If your insurance covers it, I don't think it would hurt to make an appointment at the fertility center to see what they have to say. At least then you would know what is going on. You can try on your own in between, thats what we do, anything is possible right?

One of my friends was having a hard time, her husbands swimmers were ok but there were less healthy ones. She did end up getting pregnant twice on her own. So, I guess the swimming is really important and the quantity.  

Me-39, DH-45 Married 9/2/06-went of BC DX- MFI Started the IVF process 4/09 Sonohystergram - Clear HSG- All Clear 9/09-IVF=BFN 11/09-FET=BFN 3/09-IVF=BFN 5/10/10-Hysteroscopy-2 polyps removed 9/10-FET=BFN 12/10-IVF=BFP-m/c 12/28-6wks 1/20/11-Sono&Biopsy-everything looks good! 2/23/11-FET=BFP! 1st Beta-3/7=93, 2nd Beta 3/9=271, 3rd Beta 3/16= 5,719 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks, Tammi. I saw your post from earlier and really hope you get some good news.

I could kick myself for not being quick enough to ask about motility. So, I don't know whether 12 million is motile, though I suspect it's just count, because she said 20 million is the norm.

I still haven't really talked to DH, but we'll probably schedule the appointment, and hope for a miracle in between. 
    TTC #1 since June 2010
    Me: 36, DH: 42
    Dx: DOR and MFI

DH: low count + very low motility; hormones all normal; Sperm DNA Frag. test = poor to fair; male karyotyping normal
    Me: FSH 13.4 + AMH 0.26 + hypothyroidism; Scratch the hypothyrodism (?); Blood clotting and immune panel all negative; endometrial biopsy normal

IVF #1 (MDLF - Jul/Aug 2011): BFN (9R, 5M, 3F with ICSI, 3dt of 1 10-cell grade 2, no frosties)
    IVF #2 (EP-antagonist - Sep/Oct 2011): BFN (6R, 4M, 3F w/ ICSI, 3dt of 1 6-cell, 1 7-cell, grade 4s, no frosties)
    DE IVF #1 (shared cycle - June 2012): c/p (6R, 6F w/ICSI, 3dt 1 8-cell grade A- and 1 7-cell grade A-; no frosties)
    DE IVF #2 (shared cycle with new donor - Nov/Dec/ 2012): - BFP!!!!! 12/14/12. U/S on 12/27 shows twins!!!!!

SAIFW/PAIFW
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"