Working Moms
Options

For those who have a babysitter/nanny

I am starting to interview for a nanny to watch my LO when I go back to work.  I was just wondering how long it took you to find and hire your nanny.  I am going back in Feb, have posted an ad on care.com and want to start interviews next week.  I just want to make sure that I didnt wait too long to start this process.  (I have been putting it off because it makes me sick to think of leaving LO with someone.  I never thought I would feel this way.)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: For those who have a babysitter/nanny

• Options
    Actually, you will probably find that you have started the search a bit too soon.  In my experience, if a nanny is looking for a job then she wants to start right away.  We have to get a new nanny starting on January 3, and we are doing interviews this week!  (This is not ideal of course, but due to the holidays it ended up being very last minute.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We had a daycare situation lined up in case we did not find a nanny.  We hired our nanny two weeks before I started work.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started way early, but that doesn't mean I had to. I started interviewing when I was 6 months pregnant. Since I had the time, I probably took longer to interview than I needed to, but it gave me the chance to really go through the candidates thoroughly.  I hired her in May or April and she wasn't starting until October.  It wasn't a big deal for her to wait because she was currently working, but looking for a different job that would suit her schedule better. So she just stayed at her current job and was able to give them a lot of notice before she left to come and work for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We posted on care.com too, when I was about 8 months pregnant since I knew I'd be having a c-section and I wanted the nanny to start part time right after LO was born. We hired the third nanny we interviewed, I think it was love at first site when she walked in for all of us. When I saw her I just knew, and she didn't ask us any questions whatsoever but just told us 'when you know you know'. She agreed to the pay, and the part time at first, which worked out since she had a minor arm injury while I was on maternity leave and her hours could be more flexible than if I had already started working again. She's taken care of LO since she was 5 days old, and I had no issues leaving her with the nanny so I could get out of the house for a few hours. I went back to work when LO was 9 weeks and felt confident that she was well taken care of and loved by the nanny(who has had a tremendous amount of patience with our colicky baby). I don't think it's ever too early, since you will want to have her start before you go back to work to watch the dynamic...it makes going back to work easier. 

• Options
    my sitter is a family aquaintance...but my mom talked to her quite a few months before i needed her...yes it made me feel sick too when i first left...but she was/is great! she was watching her gson but the time i needed her he was about to start kinder so timing was perfect....
  • Options
    I work from home so I was a bit more flexible when I found a nanny but I found it very difficult. I waited until my daughter was very active & mobile and realized I just couldnt do it all myself anymore. I started interviewing and I wasnt completely satisfied with anyone so I gave up for a month or so and then I started interviewing again. So overall it was a 3-4 month process. My nanny that I did find (through care.com) is amazing and I'm so thankful I found her and waited until I found someone I was truly happy with it. So yes I would allow some time.  In these touch economic times, I think you'll find a big pool to choose from and I think the right person would be willing to wait to start depending on your situation.
  • Options

I was due Sept. 21st and we started looking at the beginning of August. We tried Craig's List at first and I didn't fnd anyone I liked. We ended up going through an agency and she started at the end of August. She was the 1st person we interviewed and just loved her. We interviewed 3 total. She worked part-time cleaning and helping me set up the nursery. She was full-time the minute I got home from the hospital. She has now been with us for over a year and a half and she is amazing. We seriously can never move because of her.

I have friends that went through care.com and loved it. Another friend found hers through sittercity.com (not sure if it is local).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"