January 2011 Moms
Options

Tip for Internals

Hi Ladies,

I have only posted once or twice but I am an avid follower of this board and have learned so much and just want to pass this tip along. I had my first internal Monday and was extremely nervous as I am a huge wuss when it comes to pain. My doc said women have a tendency to raise their hips in response to the exam and instead instructed me to press my hips/butt down onto the table, which I did. Luckily, the exam didn't hurt at all - I was so pleasantly surprised. My doc did say she has small hands and is more gentle and not to expect that from every doctor, so I don't know how much the pressing my butt down helped with the pain vs how much was just my doctor, but I'm definitely going to keep doing it for future internals.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tip for Internals

• Options
    Thank you so much! I have my first internal today and I am so nervous, I will keep your tip in mind :)
  • Options

I built my internals up to be way scarier in my mind than they actually were.  Seriously, they weren't a big deal at all.  And my doctor's a dude with not-so-tiny hands.

PP - Good luck today!

OP - that's a good tip.  Really anything you can do to relax the "area" will help too.  My doctor mentioned that a lot of women tense up their legs instead of letting them fall wide open.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had to have 2 done at the hospital.  It's really just uncomfortable and akward, not painful.  The doctor had to have me ball up my fist and put it under my butt to point my pelvis up during the second one though (opposite of the information you give here).  I think it depends on where your cervix is inside you. She said mine was tucked up in the back.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'll try this today. My first one was no worse than a pap, but my 2nd one with another OB really hurt for some reason. :( I hope today will be better!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I usually have a very high tolerance for pain, however, at yesterday's internal, nothing would've helped.  She jammed what felt like her entire arm into me!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"