Philadelphia Babies
Options

Switch OB mid pregnancy?

Hello all -

New to the board and am almost 26 weeks pregnant.  I'm 40 years old and this is my first pregnancy.  Have an odd question to ask - would you switch to a different OB mid pregnancy if you were unhappy with your current practice?

I haven't been satisfied with the care that I've been receiving at my current practice and am contemplating switching.  Points of unhappiness:

1) First OB visit with midwife at 8 weeks:  Appt was at 11:00am, but didn't see midwife until 12:20pm.  Didn't ask if I had any questions, and felt rushed.  Transferred to doctors. 

2) Ultrasound technician:  Didn't explain what we were seeing on the screen at both the 10 week U/S and 20 week U/S.  My husband and I had to constantly ask, "What is that?".  She would answer, but didn't explain anything voluntarily.  Told her at the 20 week U/S we wanted "lots of pictures for the scrapbook" and she printed 3 profile pics and 2 pics of a foot. 

3)  Quad screen results:  Had to call office three times (over three days) before I got my results.  Spoke with front desk first time and asked for call back (no call back), left message on answering machine next day (no call back), spoke with person next morning who said note in my chart said I had already been called and said doctor would call me back that day.  Waited at home all day for phone call, finally got front desk person to call me back at 4:30pm who just said "results were normal."  (What does that mean?) 

4)  Waited for next OB visit to discuss quad screen results with doctor, but since I had to go to a different office for the ultrasound, my chart wasn't sent over so doctor couldn't talk about ANY of my history.

5) At last OB visit, expressed frustration to a different doctor (there are 6 docs in the practice), but he was very defensive of staff and said I was the only person who has ever complained about the ultrasound technician in his 10 years of working with her.  Told me the ultrasound wasn't for my benefit, but it was for diagnostic purposes, which I understood, but I wished I could have felt more a part of the excitement of seeing my baby and what she looked like.  I asked about going to a 3D ultrasound facility and he said, "Why would you want to pay $150 just to see your baby look like a monkey?"

Soooo..... just wanted to get others' opinions.  Is this just how it is in a busy OB practice and I should accept it, and if I switch to a different practice, am I going to be red-flagged as a "problem" patient? 

Re: Switch OB mid pregnancy?

• Options

Hi & welcome!!

In my opinion - I'd DEFINTELY switch - you want to feel comfortable, relaxed and happy with your doctor's office. Judging by everything you wrote, they are not very willing to accomodate their patients.

I have been extremely happy with my practice so far (granted I'm only 14 1/2 weeks along) but they've been more then happy to answer my questions, etc.

Good luck with your decision and congrats!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyName Ticker
  • Options

Welcome.

I would definitely be switching doctors!!!  You shouldn't feel put out when you ask questions about your health and the health of your baby.  And you should be able to get someone on the phone in a timely manner.

I have to say that 2 of my ultrasounds that were done at the hospital - the tech was very "non-personal" and didn't really talk to me.  The NT scan and 20 week ultrasounds were done at a different facility and the techs and doctors there were very friendly and let you know what you were looking at on the screen.  I only got maybe 3 pics both times.

Good luck!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Find a small midwife practice :)  The difference in terms of a building a personal relationship and feeling like you are actually a 'person' is unbelievable and should be something every woman should get IMO.  Plus, you're 40 - you're already going to be treated like you're an alien or some high risk (which you're not) at most OB practices anyway especially in the last few weeks...I vote for getting a midwife and better care.  Always follow your intuition. 

I could give recommendations if you tell me your location.  :) lori@delcodoula.com

Lori ~ mom to 2 boys, wife, doula, and childbirth educator - www.delcodoula.com
  • Options

I was unhappy with the place and so I switched around 14-16 weeks. If you are uncomfortable it is better to switch. Don't even stress about it, just do it

P.S. I switched to a practice right next door to the old one:) Btw, they were very understanding when i said I was "uncomfortable" with the previous practice. Of course I did not launch into details on how previous OB was a **tch:)

• Options

I am switching next week and I am 32 years old and 32 weeks pregnant. They needed to review my file before they would accept my transfer, but that is understandable and I feel better about it already.  This is also my second pregnancy and I did deliver my first with this practice. They were fine and I liked my birth experience but that is the hospital.

I had my previous OB cancel 2 appointments, schedule me for the wrong day, usually wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours. Also had the nurse laugh when I called with a medical question. I was anxious and agitated every time i went to the OB and that is not how it is supposed to be. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"