Alabama Babies

Weight loss strategies?

I noticed that some of us listed losing weight as a NY resolution.  What are your plans and strategies to lose the unwanted pounds.  I did WW for a long time and it worked, but going to the meetings is hard now since we have Miller, (I need those meetings to hold me accountable) What seems to work for ya'll?  Portion control, exercise, etc? 

Re: Weight loss strategies?

• I plan to try portion control and exercise...I did WW and was always confused on the points in relation to homemade dishes(it sounds like a cop out as I type it) so I stopped. I, like you, can't do too much outside the house b/c of Preston plus I start school again in January. I have an elliptical and a treadmill so I really don't have an excuse...do you wanna start a weekly check in? Maybe that'll help with keeping us on track.
  • Last year, what worked for me was counting calories and exercising.  It helped to be in a group for Scale Back Alabama, that kept me accountable.  I started a 1200 cal diet and walked 3 miles a day.  I lost 18 lbs from the end of Jan-beginning of April.  Then I started the Couch to 5K program, and lost 25 lbs total.  After Labor Day, my exercise slacked off and I stopped losing, and after Thanksgiving and Christmas 5 lbs has showed back up. 

I plan to take the first few weeks of Jan to get back on the 1200 calories and get back exercising, then hit it hard when SBA starts Jan. 24th.  I have a Zumba dvd for exercise until it warms up enough to get back to running.

Maybe we could get a group together on here to check in every week?  No matter if we are doing the same program or not?  I am also on Sparkpeople, it is worth checking out if you aren't on there already...or maybe we could get a group together on there?  I know it helps having someone there along the way!

https://www.scalebackalabama.com/

https://www.sparkpeople.com/

• Loading the player...
  • imagehamillm:

Last year, what worked for me was counting calories and exercising.  It helped to be in a group for Scale Back Alabama, that kept me accountable.  I started a 1200 cal diet and walked 3 miles a day.  I lost 18 lbs from the end of Jan-beginning of April.  Then I started the Couch to 5K program, and lost 25 lbs total.  After Labor Day, my exercise slacked off and I stopped losing, and after Thanksgiving and Christmas 5 lbs has showed back up. 

I plan to take the first few weeks of Jan to get back on the 1200 calories and get back exercising, then hit it hard when SBA starts Jan. 24th.  I have a Zumba dvd for exercise until it warms up enough to get back to running.

Maybe we could get a group together on here to check in every week?  No matter if we are doing the same program or not?  I am also on Sparkpeople, it is worth checking out if you aren't on there already...or maybe we could get a group together on there?  I know it helps having someone there along the way!

https://www.scalebackalabama.com/

https://www.sparkpeople.com/

I agree about sparkpeople...I have used it before as well. I have also tried the Extreme Fat Smash diet by Dr. Ian. It worked but it is super strict and I was starving! I lost 6 pounds in about 2 weeks.

• Hang in there girl!

I wish they still had the LA Weight Loss program {now I think all they do is online stuff} because I know what you mean about the accountability part.  I did it 5 years ago and lost 25 lbs {fluctuated here & there within 5lbs} and kept it off until I was preggers with Mason.

AFTER M, it took me 9 months to lose the total 56 lbs gained. In reality, the best way is to eat healthy + exercise. But I figured since I was breastfeeding, I just ate like crazy and around month 5 or 6 started slowly increasing my exercising, but really it wasn't much of an increase overall.

Also, just to throw this out there- I did SlimFast a couple of times and could lose anywhere from 5-10 lbs but the problem was I always gained it back. I really like those chocolate shakes though!

• I'm going to be doing WW again...I had lots of success with it before I got married.  I am a bit worried about how I am going to fit meetings in with Aubrey and also going back to school to finish my masters but I think with Wes' help in the evenings I can do it.  And in a pinch I can always take Aubrey to the weigh in's but skip the meeting.  Having to weigh in every week is what kept me accountable. 

I also plan to up my exercising.  I have noticed through journaling the last month that I need to increase it...I'm a bit lazy on actual exercise unless you count chasing Aubrey around lol.  I got Just Dance 2 for Christmas and also I have loaded up some really peppy songs onto my Ipod and am going to walk...whether it's outside or going to the mall and doing it.  I would really like to join a gym, but it's not really in the funds and also I don't know when I'd have the time.  

I think a check in group is a great idea.  

• I'm doing WW right now, but without the meetings. I just have a weekly weigh-in at home.  I'm also trying to stick to exercising at least 3 times a week, but shooting for 5.

Count me in for the weekly check-in. I've even considered adding a weight loss ticker (w/ my actual weight on it, gasp!) so you guys could see - the shame of it all would be extra motivation for me. :)

• I'm a weigh-in coordinator for Scale Back Alabama so I can't technically participate in the program (not allowed to be on a team) but I'll be participating in it on my own and weighing myself each week.  I lost about 45 pounds a few years ago by being on a restricted calorie diet and exercising.  I plan to start that again in the new year and hopefully all this pregnancy weight will finally come off. 

I really want to do C25K but I just don't know how to fit in running as a working mom.  I don't like to run on a treadmill, I only run outside but I just don't know when I can do it.  I already get up at 5:15 so mornings are out, and by the time I get home it's so dark outside... I need to just stop making excuses and do it. /rant

I love the idea of a check in!

• A weekly check-in would be great.  Like I said, I need motivation and accountablilty to make it happen. 

• imagekc0721:

A weekly check-in would be great.  Like I said, I need motivation and accountablilty to make it happen. 

What day should our check-in be? I will weigh-in on Fridays, but can check-in whenever.

• I'd like to participate in the check in also
  • I'd like to participate in check ins too.  I am going to eat sensibly and do the c25k program.  (One of my resolutions is to run a 5k as well.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lets do Friday check-ins. 

Also, if anyone has lowfat/low cal recipes they'd like to share then we can post those on Friday.  Maybe give a day or two of menu plans? 

• imagekc0721:

Lets do Friday check-ins. 

Also, if anyone has lowfat/low cal recipes they'd like to share then we can post those on Friday.  Maybe give a day or two of menu plans? 

I think that sounds great! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"