Military Families

Birth Certificate Signing

Just wondering how the process goes for adding H signature to a birth certificate..? My H is in Japan. We are due in February. I believe I heard/read/saw somewhere that he has to fill out an application to be added on once he is back? Anyone know if this is correct or what I should be doing?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Birth Certificate Signing

• When I had DD, we didn't need DH to sign the birth certificate.  He was away at a 30-day school.  I listed him as the father, me as the mother, and signed it.  But that was in Cali  - not sure about your state.  I would call the hospital and ask.  Our hospital had a person who worked on birth certificates only.
  • I think it depends on your state, but neither of us had to sign anything for the birth certificates, we just had to go over the facts before they were put into the computer to make sure they were correct.  In fact, in Texas if you're married, I think the husband has to sign something for them to NOT put his name on the birth certificate. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My H did not have to sign DD's birth certificate (North Carolina). He's listed as the father but his signature was never required.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It probably varies from state to state but I believe the norm is that if you are married when you give birth your husband is considered to be the legal father of that child (even if he is not the biological father) and therefore does not need to sign anything.  If you are not married then the father does need to sign something stating that he agrees to be listed as the father. 
  • We are in GA.  H and I were not married when I delivered our first child but were with our second.  I listed him as the father both times and he never needed to sign anything.  My signature was the only one on any of the paperwork.
  • It might be different for your state but all I had to do was fill out the form when LO was born. There were no signatures needed and there is only additional paperwork if you DH is NOT the father of your child or you are NOT wanting him listed as the father on the birth certificate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When DS was born DH didn't sign anything. I was given the form to fill out stating he was the father and I was the mother. He was born at Ft. Campbell, KY but was given a Tennessee birth certificate. It may differ in each state.

Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
  • No your H does not have to sign it just you, but you will need your marriage certificate as proof of marriage for his name to be on the birth certificate. They will have you fill out the paperwork and will process everything and all the information will be on the birth certificate. Make sure they know up front that he is in the miitary and is not able to be present (they usually make it a special point to take care of things for you because they already know things are hard enough for you already).

DeterminedBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegoldielux1176:
    When I had DD, we didn't need DH to sign the birth certificate.  He was away at a 30-day school.  I listed him as the father, me as the mother, and signed it.  But that was in Cali  - not sure about your state.  I would call the hospital and ask.  Our hospital had a person who worked on birth certificates only.

this.  except my dh was in afghan.

1ht

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • im in FL and they refused to put Hs name on the birth cert.  we had to go the office down town when he got back and put him on it.
  • We got a form to bring home with us that we both signed and mailed in with some money to get my DS's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"