VBAC

New here & wondering if anyone has heard of/followed the Brewer's Diet?

Hi Smile  First of all, a quick introduction - My name is Therese, I am 38 & just found out I am pregnant with my 2nd child.  My son is almost 4 & was born by C-section due to complications from severe pre-eclampsia/HELLPS syndrome.  We were extremely lucky in that the condition did not rear its ugly head until I was 40 wks along.  Nevertheless it was not a great experience & one I would not care to repeat, if at all possible.

I am planning this time around on having a VBAC & hoping to learn a lot from this board.  I also have done a little research on diet in pregnancy & found this Brewer Diet which claims to eliminate pre-eclampsia.  I was wondering if anyone is/had heard of or is following this diet or knows of anyone who has done it.  I would love to hear some experiences & feedback.  tia.

Re: New here & wondering if anyone has heard of/followed the Brewer's Diet?

• I've heard of it but don't know a whole lot. I also had HELLP w/ DS and he was born at 37 weeks. I have seen mixed things on the Brewer diet. I don't think I'll follow it. I think my focus for the next pregnancy is just to eat as healthy as possible and maintain exercise. I personally am not a fan of these types of diets, especially when we don't know what causes HELLP.

Have you talked to your OB about it? I plan on doing that as well.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I looked into it but had no luck with it. It's a LOT of food, at least it sure seems like a heck of a lot when I'm trying to do it, and I was completely unable to keep anything down anyway. I gave up. I never had pre-e with either pregnancy, though this last time, my BP and protein were "borderline" and I had to get them checked several extra times to make sure they didn't get any higher. It was annoying, but everything was fine and I got my VBAC.
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats on your pregnancy!

I followed the Brewer Diet with DD's pregnancy and I had a successful VBAC with a healthy baby.  I don't know if that was because of the diet or not, but I am doing it again this time (although much more loosely simply  because now I have 2 kids to chase after so I don't have time to write everything down).

I started following it with DD because we took Bradley classes and they recommend the Brewer Diet.  I researched it a bit and I like what I found.  It seems like a healthy plan to me, basically making sure you eat a well rounded diet and lots and lots of protien.  The protein is what is supposed to eliminate pre-e/toxemia.

I know some people say the Brewer Diet creates huge babies, but DD was 7lbs 15oz at birth (so totally normal size).

Some days it does feel like a whole lot of food, and so on those days I don't eat as much, but some days it is not.  I think that a lot of the idea that it is a lot of food comes from our skewed idea of what a serving actually is though (like he wants 2 servings of lean protien daily which is probably really just one serving of what most of us eat at a meal).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Ladies thanks for all your opinions!

ShansBride, I am so glad to hear that your followed it & got your VBAC too.  I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. Did you follow the diet from a book or mainly from your Bradley classes?  Would you recommend the Bradley classes?

2.  Did you have pre-e or HELLPS in your 1st pg?  If so when did it start?

3.  Did you exercise during your last or this pg?  I am asking this because it seems like the Brewer diet doesn't really rec much exercise or if you are going to to increase your cals even further.  I am a total exercise junkie & I can't imagine going 9 months on a high cal diet without it Tongue Tied

4.  Did you gain much weight yourself from doing the Brewer diet?  I am sorry, this is such a personal question I know but just trying to form an impression of it & figuring out if it is right for me.

Thanks a lot, this is an amazing help!

• I just followed the diet from what I learned in Bradley classes, which I would totally recommend.  They didn't really do a whole lot for me I don't think because I was reading everything I could get my hands on anyway, but they really helped H.

I didn't have pre-e or anything during my first pg

I didn't do heavy exercise or anything, but I did prenatal yoga, walking, and the exercises Bradley recommends (pelvic rocks, kegels, 30 min a day of light activity).  I didn't know Brewer doesn't recommend exercise, but I know Bradley does.

I gaind 27 lbs with my first pregnancy and about 30 with my second, but my first baby was born at 38 weeks and my second at 39.  I really don't think the diet affected my weight gain at all.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageShansBride:

I just followed the diet from what I learned in Bradley classes, which I would totally recommend.  They didn't really do a whole lot for me I don't think because I was reading everything I could get my hands on anyway, but they really helped H.

I didn't have pre-e or anything during my first pg

I didn't do heavy exercise or anything, but I did prenatal yoga, walking, and the exercises Bradley recommends (pelvic rocks, kegels, 30 min a day of light activity).  I didn't know Brewer doesn't recommend exercise, but I know Bradley does.

I gaind 27 lbs with my first pregnancy and about 30 with my second, but my first baby was born at 38 weeks and my second at 39.  I really don't think the diet affected my weight gain at all.

Thank you so much!  Your input has helped me more than you know!  I so appreciate it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"