Nurseries and Baby Gear

What is the BEST baby carrier...

for you AND for baby? I have heard great things about the Bjorn, but also heard that its not good for baby the way it makes them hang by their crotch. I hear good things about the Ergo also. But I also remember reading about another carrier that was a bit pricier but suppose to be much much better for baby and comfortable & diverse (age/weight of baby, as well as position, etc...) 

Opinions? Any input greatly appreciated.

TIA 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What is the BEST baby carrier...

• Yep, the Bjorn is bad for their hips as they get older.  But not only that, it's torture on your back!  It lacks the waist support that carriers such as the Ergo and the Beco have.

I decided on the Beco Gemini over the Ergo or Beco Butterfly because not only do the straps cross in the back (which looked super comfy to me), but you can also have your baby facing forward when wearing them on the front.  You cannot do that with the other carriers. 

I've also heard some complaints about the effort it takes to put on an Ergo.  It took me one time to perfect putting on my Beco.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • i know several moms who rave about the ergo.  wish I had that one instead of my bjorn.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • From reading the posts, it sounds like different carriers have different purposes, so it might not be a bad idea to try them out... I ended up getting  Bjorn off Craig's List for 10 bucks, because I figure for short amounts of time at the beginning, it could be helpful..Then I registered for an Ergo, which sounds like it might be more comfortable in the long run..I registered at BBB, so if it doesn't work for me.. I will just return it..BBB is amazing with returns from what I hear!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Defiantly not the Bjorn.  I have an Ergo and love it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • We have an Ergo that we used with DS #1 and I absolutely adore it.  I could carry a 15 month old kid in it all day and it wouldn't hurt my back.  I am also planning on getting a Baby K'Tan for this next kiddo, to use when he is tiny  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Ergo and Beco get the best reviews among the soft-structured carriers.  I was planning on getting (or at least registering for) one of each (Ergo Performance and Beco Butterfly), but I got such a good deal on an organic Ergo yesterday that now I think I'll end up with two Ergos.  I really want a Performance for my husband bc of how lightweight/non-sweaty it's supposed to be. :)  He is hot all the time, and I want him to actually agree to carry the baby sometimes.
  • imagebobbysgirl08:
    From reading the posts, it sounds like different carriers have different purposes, so it might not be a bad idea to try them out.

I would highly suggest this if you have somewhere in your area where you can test drive slings/carriers. It would really help you decide on what's best for you and your LO. 

That said, I have an ergo, moby and babyhawk. I LOVED my moby when DD was smaller (until about 6 months), it was comfortable for both of us and I liked the way it felt. That said, it's a ROYAL PITA to get on and off. It was easier to put it on at home before I left the house. It's a LONG piece of fabric and until you perfect putting it on and taking it off, it's a pain. I did use mine all over (at home, for walks, grocery store, etc) but I would have used it more if it wasn't so much fabric. I ended up getting the babyhawk next because I wanted a tie carrier that was easier to put on the moby. I liked the babyhawk a lot and it was well worth the money spent but it became uncomfortable for my low back as DD grew heavier. Also you can really only use it front or back carry. Next I bought my final carrier, the ergo off of babysteals. I got a great price ($70) and it's my all time favorite! It's SO easy to put on and take off, it's comfortable for me to wear DD on my front or back and I'm 28ish weeks pregnant! Besides that DH will wear DD in it so that's an added bonus. He likes it over the stroller.  

• It depends on you and the baby. I have a Sleepy wrap (it's like a moby and it's GREAT for a newborn and for tight little swaddle-like holds -- i put her in this for long walks in the cold and also if she's being fussy), an ergo (better now that she's 12 pounds -- we don't use an insert), a ring sling (really poppable, stylish -- I wear it all the time like a scarf, and easy to pack. Each get plenty of use in my house.

(I do not have a stroller.)

I've heard good things about a Beco but I was never able to try one on in person, and the ergo fit fine, so I went with that. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"