South Florida Babies
Options

If you pumped at work...?

I am getting nervous about my milk supply. I have had this cold and feel like my body is now not producing the milk that it was. At each pumping session I am getting like a half an ounce to an ounce less than I was. I have upped my water drinking but also in the meantime I ordered a bottle of Fenugreek to give it a try.

Questions:

1. Did you pump on the weekends too or only while at work?

2. Did each pumping session produce just what your baby needed for the feeding it replaced or did you have to combine all that you pumped to make the proper ounces to satisfy your baby?

3. Did you pump more than your baby needed and store it?

I pump twice a day while at work and nurse Isabelle on my lunch break but since she is not napping well at daycare she is really tired when she nurses and I worry sometimes that she is not getting all that she needs - but then she goes the full three hours between when I nurse her and her next bottle so maybe she is? 

Also, for the last two nights Isabelle has been waking up in the middle of the night to eat. She stopped doing that about a month ago so I wonder if this is going to help up my supply so that she gets what she needs?

I guess I am worried because I have not seen my pumped supply go up since I have started and I really expected to. I started pumping at work on 12/6 and was pumping 4-5 ounces at a time and am still at the same amount, give or take. Less today because of my cold.

HELP! I could really use some advice and reassurance. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you pumped at work...?

• Options

1. I only pump when I am at work. When I am with my baby, I nurse her.  I use my freezer stash for Mondays.

2. My first pumping session of the day always yields the most milk, and the next 2 sessions produce a little less.  I combine what I need into the number of bottles I need for the next day.

3. Sometimes I have some leftover and yes, that I freeze.

I was once told by an LC that a loose "rule of thumb" is to produce an ounce of milk for every hour you are away from your baby.  If you are worried about your supply, try adding an extra pumping session if you can, even if it's only for 5 or 10 minutes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I only pump while at work. Any chance I get to be with the baby during the day, I BF. And weekends are BF only as well. I tend to overproduce so I only pump about 5 minutes total and make about 8 ounces so I freeze any left over. Your slight drop in milk production is likely the cold you have. Try not to worry much, you are doing the right thing by increasing your water intake. And remember that if you use any over the counter decongestants, it can decrease your supply as well. I've had moments where Ethan does not eat well during the day, so he wakes up at night to feed. They do tend to compensate, so if she didn't get the milk during the day, she will get it at a different time. If you BF at night it can surely help boost your milk supply, but remember it will tell your body to make more at that particular time as well so it can make you a bit engorged if she stops feeding again at night and it will take a bit for your body to adjust. I wouldn't be too concerned with a slight decrease in supply especially since you are sick. If after you get better it's still not picking up then you may want to chat with a lactation consultant for other suggestions. But I really do think your supply will pick up.Hope you feel better soon!!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Some tips that helped while I was pumping was that the early a.m. pump produced the most even if you just nursed the baby right before the pumping session.  Also, using the letdown button to start a second letdown helped me produce more in one session.  Be careful what you take for your cold, sudafed can decrease your supply.
  • Options

Hi Mel!!

I went through different phases during the last year where my milk supply had a little decrease, and when it would I would take fenugreek, drink mother's milk, extra water and try to nurse Lucas as much as possible when I was with him. 

At work, I always pumped the most in the morning and as the day progressed I got less, but in the end I had just enough for the next day.  There were times when I may have gotten a little less.  I also pumped at home, often times I was up and getting ready before Lucas woke up, during this time I was pretty full so I would pump some and then nurse him.  I found this helped me get enough milk for him with the combination of what I pumped during the day and after he nursed in the morning he was still content so I knew he was getting enough.  I also would slip in a pumping session on the weekend, and typically I did this in the morning since that is when I had the most milk, I also had times since I go to bed pretty late that I would pump for a few minutes before I went to bed.  I know...lots of pumping but I would say I was paranoid about my supply and I tried to keep a small freezer stash for date nights and such.

Hope that helped and wishing you the best with your pumping.  I typically brought magazine's and books to keep me entertained while I pumped in the day, and got in my facebook/surf the net time at home while I pumped since that was basically my down time.

Nat

• Options

Hey there Sis! :)

Just wanted to mention that when I went to a LLL meeting the girls mentioned that the babies schedule/ routine may change when returning to work.  They said they may wake up at night to get that extra mommy time from nursing.  That can only help your supply though! 

Nikki had also told me there were a couple times when she felt her supply dipping and she would just nurse more and it helped.  So I think it makes sense to nurse when with Izzy. 

Also LC said not to go by what you are pumping gauge supply b/c baby will always pull more milk from breast.  So thats great that you get to nurse her at lunch. 

Love ya!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"