Maryland Babies
Options

Feel stupid asking but...baby sizes

I am hearing a lot of people saying don't get a lot of newborn stuff they don't fit in it for very long.  I had one shower and I didn't get much clothes, I plan on hitting up the consignment store tomorrow and get some deals.  As far as the sizes I am seeing NB, 0-3 months, 3-6, 0-6 months.  I was 34 weeks and I measured between 32 and 33 weeks so I am not expecting a big baby. 

What should I buy?  And is NB the same as 0-3 or is it different?

Re: Feel stupid asking but...baby sizes

• Options
    My DD was born @ 39 weeks and weighed 7 lbs 11 oz; she could wear NB sizes until almost 3 mo.  She also wore the 0-3 sizes, but they were big when she was really little.  You always fold up the sleeves, etc.  I would make sure you ahve a decent amount of 0-3 sizes before your LO is born and then get a handful of NBs sizes (maybe 1-2 "outfits" and 3 or 4 sleep and plays and onesies) and then just see what they need.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

John was in NB size for almost 2 months, keep in mind all babies are different when it comes to proportion.  But honestly when he was a NB he mostly wore footed PJ's almost all the time.  It's easier for diaper changes and just plain eaiser (and kept him warm), I really only used like 2 or 3 "cute" outfits when we went places out of the house.  NB is smaller than 0-3.  If you don't have much now I would buy a few NB one pieces and some 0-3 and then kind of guage how much your LO is growing.  I got TONS of clothes and unfortunately there have been a good number of seasonal outfits that he just didn't fit into and never wore because the season and his size just didn't match up.

Also, take how you are measureing with a grain of salt.  While I was in labor I wasn't progressing and the OB kept saying that she thought he was too big and that her guess was that he would be over 10lbs....yea, he was 7 lbs 12oz's.  I always hear stories like this from friends, there really is no way to tell the baby's true size.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with Kathryn and Meg here. Annabelle was in preemie sizes for about a month, then moved up to NB for another month or so. During the winter months she mainly wore footie pj's, it wasn't until it got warmer did I start dressing her in two piece outfits.

• Options
    My DS was 9 lbs 4 oz at birth and he fit in newborn sizes for maybe two weeks. lol.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had my child at 37wks weighing in at 6lbs 11oz.  It took us a month to get the baby back to the birth weight.  Newborns were huge and LO swam in them.  I cannot remember when I switched to 0-3mo.  All babies are different and grow differently.  Mine is now wearing 12mo (some even 12-18mo) and LO is only 7.5mo.

My suggestion is to have a range of clothes and to not waste a ton of money.  They do grow quick.

• Options

LO can still fit into some NB at 6 weeks but is just a little too tall for most of them. She was born 7lbs 13 oz and didn't get back to birth weight for 2 weeks. She is also gaining slow and is just about 9 lbs at 6 weeks.

I had luck getting cheap NB stuff at TjMaxx and Marshalls. A lot of the big box stores (Walmart, Target) are going to start their winter clearances so you can pick up long sleeved stuff cheap. Gerber also sells the three packs of sleepers for $10. I'd say to at least have 8 or so and a few "cute" outfits or long sleeve onesies and pants. DD went through at least 2 sleepers a day (spit up, feeding messes) we never put her in a cute outfit once, she just lived in a sleeper. I always recommend the gowns too, even for boys, they are so easy for diaper changes.

Also, don't do what I did and waste $ on side snap shirts. They scared me so much about not using onesies because of the umbilical stump I thought that meant sleepers too. I spent like $25 on side snap shirts she never wore!

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I do think I am in luck with winter stuff because the time of year so I hope to pick up some decent clearance stuff.

• Options
    DD1 weighed 9 lbs 4 oz and wore NB for a coupole of weeks. DD2 was 8 lbs 10 oz and wore NB for a little over a month. I just started putting her in 0-3 this week. I'm basing this on Carters, which is what I mostly have. It depends on the brand though. There are some brands that niether of my kids had a prayer of fitting in the NB size, even at birth.

• Options
    DD1 weighed 9 lbs 4 oz and wore NB for a couple of weeks. DD2 was 8 lbs 10 oz and wore NB for a little over a month. I just started putting her in 0-3 this week. I'm basing this on Carters, which is what I mostly have. It depends on the brand though. There are some brands that neither of my kids had a prayer of fitting in the NB size, even at birth.

• Options
    Family and myself have gotten everything from NB-12 months.  I know Colby won't be wearing 12 months, but when the time comes, he will have some things.  A friend of mine told me that people tend to get a lot of 3-6 month stuff at your shower, so I have been holding back on that for now.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DS was born at 39w2d - he weighed 8 lbs, 10 oz, and we had been expecting a decent-sized baby b/c he'd been measuring at least 2 weeks ahead in all measurements (head, belly, femur) at every u/s (12w, 19w, 29w). He was a very slow gainer (didn't reach birth weight until 1 month), and he was a summer baby, which meant that he lived in onesies for the most part, so he was still fitting into NB stuff at 2 months, despite being over 8.5 lbs at birth. we finally started to transition into 0-3 month stuff shortly after he hit 2 months, and we didn't move into 3-6 month until he was nearly 4 months old. Now, at 6 months old, he fits comfortably into 6 month clothes, except the length is too short. He's a pretty long and lean baby, so he still has 3 month jeans from Carter's that fit, but we have to buy his footie pjs in 9 month size so they're long enough (even though he swims in them everywhere else). Long and short of it - it's really, really tough to predict, so pick up the basics (they'll always be able to use onesies, footie sleepers, etc., no matter when they reach that specific size) and worry about the cute outfits later when you have a better idea what your LO needs and when!
  • Options

DD was only 8 pounds when born, but she got huge fast, and was a big big baby for a long time. She wore newborn onsies and t-shirts (born in April) for maybe a week, then was in 0-3 months for maybe another 2-3 weeks, and then that was it, she skipped a few sizes and then she was in 9 month clothes at 4 months. You  may have a normal growing baby or a baby that gets big fast.

Buy a few things, keep the tags on them, and wash them if you need them. I returned tons and tons of clothes because we never really wore any newborn stuff or 0-3 months. I am so glad I kept tags on, because I was able to get more bigger sizes, which no one gave me. Even when she was 4 months, I was still getting gifts for her age and not her actual size.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would get just a few items in each size and then wait until the baby comes to "fill-in" your wardrobe.  DD was a preemie, but she gained quickly and at 9 months old she is close to being OUT of the sized 18 month clothing!  She has gone up a size on average once every 6 weeks! 

We have a ton of stuff that she never got to wear because it was not seasonally appropriate when she was wearing that size.  For example the 9 month sized Snowman Christmas outfit had to be put on her to snap a picture in August, since she was about to transition to the 12 month size. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"