January 2011 Moms
Options

PICA

Ok So the last 2 weeks I have been craving ice and Dont gag but I have been lossing the battle to NOT eat snow...Doc put me on Iron pills yesterday he says its Pica...Anyone else have this or been eatting WIERD things..WOrse than my snow problem...I try to make sure its fresh and in a clean place in the yard or on our porch.....

Re: PICA

• Options
    Well I don't have PICA but I have been enjoying eating ice (no snow here although it doesn't sound appealing to me anyway) that's left over in my water.  Crunch crunch crunch!  I haven't eaten anything weird but I love cleaning because I am loving the smell of bleach/cleansers (not to consume, it just smells clean).  Oh and my DH went snowmobiling, and I couldn't go so I was loving smelling the fumes on his clothes.  Yep, I'm weird.
  • Options

Wow that is an unusual problem, but I've heard of weirder and much more unsafe things than eating snow & ice. At least they are both from water!

I've heard laundry detergent & dirt from some ladies!

Hopefully the iron intake will help put your need for snow & ice to rest :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    One of the ladies on FB posted that she had been diagonosed with PICA too and she had been craving dirt (not sure if she actually ate any or not) and that she too was put on iron supplements.  You are not alone and since I grew up in MN I know that kids eat snow all the time!  It may be embarassing as an adult but I think that since it is water based and you try to eat the clean snow you will be fine. 
  • Options

I don't have Pica (at least I don't think I do), but I do LOVE ice. I even bought a snow cone maker. It is awesome. I could crunch, crunch, crunch ice all day long. Before pregnancy, I loved warm water with no ice and now all I want is a big glass of water with ice in it so I can crunch the ice all up.

Try not to eat the snow, even in clean places. There are little bugs that live in snow and you don't want to eat those little guys. I would invest in a snow cone maker. I got mine at Target for like $15. Totally worth the money!!!

Good luck!

• Options
    Just dont eat yellow snow.  lol  The only thing i have craved this whole pregnancy is ice.  I go to my local store and get a 44 oz cup of it.  They have crushed ice so its not bad on my teeth.  Also, i love the smell of my cleaners.  I dont huff it or anything but when i clean i can smell it.  I told my doc and they said to eat more iron rich food.  I wonder how the snow tastes.  I live in florida so no snow.  Good luck
  • Options
    imageMomTeacher:

I don't have Pica (at least I don't think I do), but I do LOVE ice. I even bought a snow cone maker. It is awesome. I could crunch, crunch, crunch ice all day long. Before pregnancy, I loved warm water with no ice and now all I want is a big glass of water with ice in it so I can crunch the ice all up.

Try not to eat the snow, even in clean places. There are little bugs that live in snow and you don't want to eat those little guys. I would invest in a snow cone maker. I got mine at Target for like $15. Totally worth the money!!!

Good luck!

Yeah, snowflakes are actually ice crystals that form around a tiny piece of dirt.  Not the most sanitary.  Weird that they automatically prescribe iron pills.  Did they check your blood to see if you are anemic?

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"