Military Families

Military Intelligence anyone?

Is anyone here in or have a spouse in Military Intelligence?  My husband is trying to reclass and I'm just looking for some more info from those who have been there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics

Re: Military Intelligence anyone?

• My husband is MI. He branch-detailed over from Infantry. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer them for you. 
    TTC since 2007. Dx PCOS 6/2010
    4 unsuccessful rounds of Clomid
    Clomid 50mg - BFP #1 - February 7, 2010 Missed miscarriage March 25, 2010
    Clomid 100 mg - BFP #2 - October 28, 2010 Chemical pregnancy November 4, 2010
    IUI #1 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel = BFN
    IUI #2 - Femera + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #3 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #4 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #5 - Menopur + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IVF #1 - Microdose Lupron Flare protocol = BFN
    FET = BFN - lost all remaining embryos
    IVF 2.0 - In progress. 20 retrieved. 16 mature. 10 fertilized with ICSI. 3, grade I embryos transferred, 7 made to freeze. Currently in the 2ww.
  • My husband will be coming from the infantry as well.  I'm just curious on what kind of day to day life you guys lead?  Does he work normal daytime hours?  Does he have regular deployments?  Where can he be stationed (we'd like to stay in Germany if possible)?  Does he wear ACU's to work or Civi's?  We haven't been able to get too much info yet, so anything you can tell me is appreciated. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My H is MI for the Air Force, so it might be kind of different, in fact, I know it will be.  He is trying to go enlisted blue to officer green though (in MI if possible).   

Does he work normal daytime hours? No, he works the swing shift (nights).  He could work days though.  There is a command center and an office.  MI have different jobs within the base we're at.

Does he have regular deployments?  Him personally, no, but prior to him getting posted here they were on a 6-12month on 6-12month off rotation, they deploy with the Army.  This is where the Army will differ from the AF.  We have a good friend who is an MI officer and his deployment rotation has been 12-15 month deployments and 12-15 month dwell time for the last several years.  He's on his 3rd or 4th deployment.  They can be attached to any unit, including and especially combat arms units.

Where can he be stationed (we'd like to stay in Germany if possible)?  MI as a job field can go anywhere in the world and be attached to any unit.  When he gets his specialty, thats where the bases/posts start to narrow down.  There are several sub-fields within MI.  Its very possible he could retrain and stay in Germany if the unit needs him.  We're at an AF base, but there are more Army/Navy/Marine MI than AF MI here. 

Does he wear ACU's to work or Civi's?  On our side they are ABU's, but yes, he wears ABU's/ACU's to work.   

That might not be much of a help because my H is in a completely different service, sorry.  GL!

• I can totally answer your questions but these answers may vary depending on what unit your husband will eventually be assigned to. 

He usually does PT with his soldiers MWF from 7:00 - 8:00 then works from about 9:00 - 5:30. It's a lot of office work - sitting behind the computer and making powerpoint presentations. 

He is with SF now so his deployments can last anywhere from a few months to a year. His upcoming one may last 10 months.

You can be stationed pretty much anywhere if you're in MI. We had to go to Ft. Huachuca in Arizona for 5 months of training and we're at Bragg now. MI is part of the support staff in most units.

He wears ACUs to work everyday. I don't think there's anyone who would be allowed to work in civilians. 

Personally, I think this deployment will be a little less stressful, mostly because he's not going to be on the front lines like he was when he was infantry. I do think he misses being a little more active and would appreciate less time in front of the computer.

If you can think of anything else, let me know!  

TTC since 2007. Dx PCOS 6/2010
    4 unsuccessful rounds of Clomid
    Clomid 50mg - BFP #1 - February 7, 2010 Missed miscarriage March 25, 2010
    Clomid 100 mg - BFP #2 - October 28, 2010 Chemical pregnancy November 4, 2010
    IUI #1 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel = BFN
    IUI #2 - Femera + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #3 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #4 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #5 - Menopur + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IVF #1 - Microdose Lupron Flare protocol = BFN
    FET = BFN - lost all remaining embryos
    IVF 2.0 - In progress. 20 retrieved. 16 mature. 10 fertilized with ICSI. 3, grade I embryos transferred, 7 made to freeze. Currently in the 2ww.
  • Thanks for the info so far!  So MI sounds pretty much like what I was expecting.  Is there ever a time where you husband goes on "secret missions" lol?  I think I was expecting at least some aspect of undercover CIA type work.  Maybe it's because DH and I have been watching Alias a lot lately lol.  For those of you whose husbands were infantry before, do you like him being MI more?  We've gone through 2 deployments with him in infantry and it's stressful (I'm sure you know).  And now DH feels like he just babysits the lower enlisted infantrymen assigned to him.  He wants a more fulfilling job if that makes sense.  It sounds like MI will be good for both of us, but of course any change is a little unnerving. 

Thanks again for all the info and keep it coming please!!

• imageBrit242:

Is there ever a time where you husband goes on "secret missions" lol?  I think I was expecting at least some aspect of undercover CIA type work. 

Not sure if this was for me or the post under mine, but I'll give you my perspective.  The short answer is yes.  I'm sure it completely depends on the type of MI he does, the unit, the location, etc.  He isn't allowed to tell me where he's TDY most of the time.  I don't know who he works for or what he does on a daily basis, he can't tell me anything.  NOTHING.  His shop is behind 3 barbed wire fences constantly patrolled by sec forces and you have to have a TS SCI clearance to get back there.  I don't think this is the norm, but I don't really know. 

Speaking of that, does he have a clearance?  Different MI required different levels of clearance. 

• image*Duchess*:
    imageBrit242:

Is there ever a time where you husband goes on "secret missions" lol?  I think I was expecting at least some aspect of undercover CIA type work. 

Not sure if this was for me or the post under mine, but I'll give you my perspective.  The short answer is yes.  I'm sure it completely depends on the type of MI he does, the unit, the location, etc.  He isn't allowed to tell me where he's TDY most of the time.  I don't know who he works for or what he does on a daily basis, he can't tell me anything.  NOTHING.  His shop is behind 3 barbed wire fences constantly patrolled by sec forces and you have to have a TS SCI clearance to get back there.  I don't think this is the norm, but I don't really know. 

Speaking of that, does he have a clearance?  Different MI required different levels of clearance. 

Interesting..  So he will/may be doing super secret stuff that I can't know about.  How do you like that?  Is it more or less stressful for you than knowing about things?

Yes, he has a clearance, but I'm not sure which kind.  He's been told he qualifies for MI and is just currently waiting for them to pass paperwork to his unit to allow him to be released from the infantry and then they're going to up his clearance (we've already started filling that paper work out, so I take that as a sign that he qualifies).  Until his unit signs off on all this, MI won't give us much info so we're kinda in the dark at the moment. 

• My H is in MI and his hours are terrible.  He is stationed in Wiesbaden Germany, which is a nice place I was there for 6 months with him.  He isn't a fan of his unit and he said he's not really doing the job and was trained for.  When I say his hours are terrible I mean like starting at 0400 until whenever they are done.  He also does that "secret stuff" that I can't know about so I'm not positive what it is he does but I know it's MI.  Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBrit242:
    image*Duchess*:
    imageBrit242:

Interesting..  So he will/may be doing super secret stuff that I can't know about.  How do you like that?  Is it more or less stressful for you than knowing about things?

Yes, he has a clearance, but I'm not sure which kind.  He's been told he qualifies for MI and is just currently waiting for them to pass paperwork to his unit to allow him to be released from the infantry and then they're going to up his clearance (we've already started filling that paper work out, so I take that as a sign that he qualifies).  Until his unit signs off on all this, MI won't give us much info so we're kinda in the dark at the moment. 

The secrecy doesn't bother me.  It might bother him, because he can't talk about a bad day or what happened at work.  Its pretty much all we know though.  Like I said, my H trying to go from AF MI into Army MI, so it may (and probably will be) a totally different ball game!  I think the expanse of MI is pretty broad, there are a lot of possibilities for him.   

I hope he gets what he wants and enjoys it! 

• My dh is Intel in the Air Force. He's an intel analyst. There are many fspecific jobs within the intel world. My dh is a 1n4

Does he work normal daytime hours? When he was stationed in Alaska, there was an actual active mission, and he worked swing shift. It sucked, but such was life.

Does he have regular deployments?  None yet, but one pending. It will be his first in 5 years of service. He has had one short TDY.  We've been blessed.

Where can he be stationed (we'd like to stay in Germany if possible)?   It depends on his skill level. At first we could only go to so many bases, once they certify and get different certificates and what not, more bases open up.

Does he wear ACU's to work or Civi's? He wears bdu/abu's.

It really depends on his afsc and his base.  In Alaska it was very active and he was being called in for different stuff.  I never knew what was going on, and I couldn't ask questions. I still don't ask questions over the phone or email. Never anything specific anyway, but even vague answers are off limits.

for example "are you busy tonight?, how's your night?"  first question, no good, second.ok.

It's a great field and I love it. No it's nothing like tv. haha. It's a little different because you can't go take him dinner at his work, you don't get to see his office,you have to be careful what you say, but generally a little getting used to and you'll be fine!

Dh loves what he does so much and it's great. We love the Air Force and the friends and family it's given us!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"