Preemies
Options

Did anyone here seek help after your preemie was born?

I am really struggling with the fact that my twins were born early (33 weekers).  I feel (and I know this is irrational) that I did this and there is nobody else to blame.  I know what I would tell other people in this situation, but it seems like nobody can make me feel better about this. 

I'm sure some of you ladies have been in this position before, so did you get help or deal with it yourself.  The reason I'm hesitant is because I feel like nobody can say anything to make me feel better.

Ella- 8/22/08, Jules and Tuck- 12/15/10

Re: Did anyone here seek help after your preemie was born?

• Options
    I always feel that way about DS but it's really not in our control, things happen and sometimes it's for the best. Don't blame yourself, that's the last thing you should be doing at this point because it's not helping anyone, especially you. Just be happy that your babies are here and they're healthy and alive, that's all I can really say even if they're in the NICU because that's the best place for them under these circumstances. I tell DS all the time that if I had a choice to keep him in longer I would but I am so happy that he's here, I hope one day you won't blame yourself
    Jackson W. Holler born 12/9/10 at 7:52 a.m. He is my little miracle baby!! pPROM'ed at 23w1d and delivered at 34w Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I felt the exact same way. I was convinced that if I had been healthier leading up to getting pregnant that I wouldn't have had pre-e. I was sure that it was my fault that DS was low birth weight. My best friend had a 35 weeker who was almost 8lbs. Mine was 4 1/2. I was just sure this was because I did something wrong. I was obsessed with the idea that things weren't supposed to be this way. That things weren't perfect. I was supposed to have all of these friends and family surrounding me, excited to meet our new son and instead he was in the NICU on lockdown because of flu season and no one met him for weeks. And most not for months. I felt disappointed and alone.

And then I felt guilty because so many women here had babies born months early and I was so upset about a few weeks? I didn't feel like my feelings were justified. I just could not move on. 

The truth is that I laid on my left side for weeks to keep my pressures down. I went to every appointment, followed every order, stayed through every hospital admission and suffered through the endless blood work. I did what I could do and the rest was out of my hands. And I realized that it isn't a competition to see who has the longest NICU stay and smallest preemie. It might not have been the most traumatic situation ever, but in my life it was the most traumatic to me. 

For me this was a big part of my diagnosis with PPD. I felt like everything was my fault and no one could understand. I sought out therapy and a support group and found I wasn't alone. I ended up on meds for awhile too, but honestly talking to other people, feeling validated, helped me move on. It does get better, but it takes time. It goes faster when you feel supported and can get your thoughts out to other people who understand. There are other people who get it. I promise. You aren't alone. 

PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My boys were born at 30 weeks and I felt the same way. I eventually talked to my dr about this and i was diagnosed with postpartum depression. I am on meds and i'm also in therapy. For me personally, therapy is doing wonders. It really helps to talk to someone who just listens and gets where i'm coming from and knows I'm not crazy (cuz i feel pretty crazy).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It took me 1 year to finally admit that I was not okay. Ever since DD was born I have had unctrollable anxiety over everything about her; especially her size. I was obssessed with her eating and gaining weight to the point where it took over my entire life and I wouldn't let anyone else care for her. I also felt like itw as my fault and I still have moments where these feelings come back. I finally seeked help after her first birthday and I am on medicine right now which has made a world of difference. I am in the process of trying to find a therapist also. Unfortunately I still feel like no one can ever understand the traumatic experience I went through except those that have had similar experiences but it does get better. Hang in there!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My DS was born about 2 1/2 weeks ago at 30 weeks due to Pre-E and HELLP.  I've been toying with the idea of going to therapy to talk to someone because I feel the same way you do.  I feel like I missed out on the rest of my pregnancy, an important part.  I feel like I got robbed of the "typical" labor, baby, joyous occasion.  We missed out on the joy and happiness that normally surrounds a birth and it was replaced with trauma and terror and tears and emergency plane rides in the middle of the night so our parents could be with us.  Sometimes I feel like I'm playing the victim but other times it's overwhelming; I feel robbed.
  • Options

imageTheGoose34:
    My DS was born about 2 1/2 weeks ago at 30 weeks due to Pre-E and HELLP.  I've been toying with the idea of going to therapy to talk to someone because I feel the same way you do.  I feel like I missed out on the rest of my pregnancy, an important part.  I feel like I got robbed of the "typical" labor, baby, joyous occasion.  We missed out on the joy and happiness that normally surrounds a birth and it was replaced with trauma and terror and tears and emergency plane rides in the middle of the night so our parents could be with us.  Sometimes I feel like I'm playing the victim but other times it's overwhelming; I feel robbed.

I just want to reiterate that most of us have felt this way; all of this is totally 'normal' for preemie moms. Normal does NOT mean "doesn't need therapy/intervention." Absolutely find other moms for support or a sensitive psychiatrist to work through your emotions. I've been able to heal through friendships with other preemie moms; if it continued to linger, I definitely would have sought professional help. :hugs: to all!

• Options

I am thankful and lucky that my preemie was just barely one at 36 weeks and only spent a few days in the NICU but I understand your feelings. My cervix was shorter than average from 22 weeks on and I was monitored for it but told not to change anything I was doing. I continued to go to work (teacher, so I stand up allll day) and go to the gym and I let myself get extremely stressed out by my boss instead of telling her to lay off. I often feel like these things combined led to my water breaking early and that if I had taken it easy and kept myself from stressing so much that my LO might have made it full term and avoided spending time alone in her bili tank without us. I also worry a lot that there will be other health repercussions that we don't know yet (even though I know that's not likely.) Because she's small and early our pedi has made it clear that her immune system is fragile and I worry a lot about getting her sick.

So, long story short, I can relate but have not gotten help. I talk to DH about it though and I would encourage you to talk to a professional if you think it would help you. Take care of yourself!

• Options
    Thank you girls for understanding and empathizing/sympathizing.  I'm not sure what my next step will be, but I can't continue to feel this way AND care for my 2 year old and the twins.  It's just not fair to them.  So I have to find a way to deal with it soon.  I am going to try talking to a few of my friends who have had preemies and see if they can help me get through this rough time. Thanks again!  I appreciate the support.
    Ella- 8/22/08, Jules and Tuck- 12/15/10
  • Options

I feel the same way you do, I didn't get to see my baby for three days (as I would out for those days due to pre-e)...I cried the first time I saw my DD, b/c she was so tiny and had some many tubes and lines, and so many machines, I was so depressed, but my DH has been so supportive, he has asked me daily if I'm ok and that it wasn't my fault she was early, I just keep saying, it was, what did I do wrong...he said, nothing, it was all in God's hands now and that I just needed to be strong and faithful and He would take care of everything, so honestly my faith has gotten me through the past 15 days...hopefully DD will continue to do well and come home sooner than her due date, but not stressing if she can't...

Keep the faith!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"