High-Risk Pregnancy

Am I crazy to TTC #2?

Or, will I end up crazy?!

I had provoked pulmonary emboli in 2008, on BCP and on an airplane. Got pregnant after 6 months of coumadin therapy and took lovenox/heparin during my successful/uneventful 2009 pregnancy.

I am ready to TTC #2 but am so worried about developing a clot. I know I am lucky to not have a clotting disorder but it does not change the fact that I am still at risk for developing a clot due to my history.

How do you handle this added stress? I am so worried about spending the whole time stressing out and not enjoying my pregnancy. As we all know, clots can have not so happy endings. I think I just need to hear that I am not alone in my anxiety?

Thanks! 

Re: Am I crazy to TTC #2?

• You can always request to go on Lovenox through the pregnancy again.  I had a DVT in my last pregnancy which was caused by a midline IV.  This pregnancy the doc suggested I take a low dose aspirin daily but since I am still breastfeeding my lil one, I'm not on anything to prevent clotting.  I could have gone on Lovenox, it was my choice.  The doc didn't really care either way.  Good luck!
  • You aren't crazy to try to have another child. There is no reason you shouldn't try, even though what you had in the past. Just make sure you get good advice from the doctor and get a game plan set with an OB or MFM before you get pregnant, that way you will know what all you need to do once you do become pregnant. Sometimes it makes it a little easier to have somewhat of a game plan beforehand, even though sometimes that game plan gets changed. See what all they can offer you and then make your decision to see if you're ready to become preggo again. Best of luck to you! :)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Michael, Feb 28, 2004. m/c August 2004. Christian, born at 32 wks, June 13, 2005. Benjamin, December 10, 2006. m/c June 2010. BFP July 10. EDD - 5/3/11.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagectrickey03:
    You aren't crazy to try to have another child. There is no reason you shouldn't try, even though what you had in the past. Just make sure you get good advice from the doctor and get a game plan set with an OB or MFM before you get pregnant, that way you will know what all you need to do once you do become pregnant. Sometimes it makes it a little easier to have somewhat of a game plan beforehand, even though sometimes that game plan gets changed. See what all they can offer you and then make your decision to see if you're ready to become preggo again. Best of luck to you! :)

I agree, as long as you have a gameplan set beforehand I don't see why you shouldn't try again! :)

-Donna Married 11/19/09 Pregnancy #1: Son born March 22, 2011 after 3+ long months on bed rest due to PIH Pregnancy #2: Early miscarriage Pregnancy #3: Are we crazy for 2 under 2? Due 11/9/2012, diagnosed as Chronic HBP for this pregnancy along with gestational diabetes BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is stressful.  I had a blood clot that formed in my heart and resulted in a myocardial infarction (heart attack) 2 1/2 years ago.  This is my first pregnancy.  The part that is nerve racking for me is that a medical reason has never been determined for my blood clot/M.I.  I am off coumadin, but am taking baby aspirin and Lovenox.  (I'll go back on the full strength aspirin after delivery.)  I've also had complications with arrhythmia's ever since the M.I. including v-tach about a month ago which freaked me out.  I've been wearing a heart monitor (iRhythm) which helps my anxiety!  That's how the v-tach was caught and they called me back and told me to go to the ER where my cardiologist already had them waiting for my arrival.  I couldn't do this without my cardiologist - I wish they could deliver the baby :)
  • Thanks everyone! I do have the go ahead from my OB, the high risk OB, and hematologist and I will have to take lovenox or heparin the whole time again. I think I have decided to go ahead with TTC. I really want this baby. My husband is supportive but nervous like me. I am a RN and probably see too much and read too much at times.
  • I don't have the same health issue as you, but I wanted to speak to the stress part. It was really hard for me to decide to TTC again because of the risk of repeat problems, and I'm not going to lie - worrying really has taken away from my enjoyment of this pregnancy. I just try to avoid worrying as much as I can and I keep focused on the fact that even though the pregnancy isn't as fun as it is for people who aren't high risk, in the end I'll have a beautiful second child who will make it all worthwhile! : ) Good luck now that it sounds like you're planning to go for it!

• This is my first pregnancy, but I can kind of get where you're coming from--my first instance of DVT was a little over eight years ago, after a car accident, and at the time we had no reason to think there was any other cause.  After the second(five years later, and went untreated for two weeks), I was diagnosed with FVL and put on coumadin indefinitely.  The third one just plain made me mad, and frustrated with how something so out of my control could dictate so much of my life.

Yes, clots can have not-so-happy endings.  I have a purple blotchy spot on my ankle and vein damage in my right leg, from waiting so long before going to a doctor when my leg started hurting nearly four years ago, and I know I'm lucky to only have that.  But they can also have happy ones...I've had three clots now, and know I can deal with another if it comes(and, more importantly, I both know what things to avoid, and how to catch one early if it turns up).

Meanwhile, I haven't had to deal with the caffeine/alcohol/pain med/etc. issues that other pregnant women have been dealing with--I'm already used to those things being gone.  If anything, I have MORE freedom in terms of what I can have, because I don't have to watch my diet any more than any other pregnant lady, for now.  It also helps considerably that on here we have the weekly checkin, as well as people who ask and answer questions, etc.  When DH and I first talked about TTC, I came here and found this board, and saw other people were going through the same things and doing just fine--and that helped a lot, just knowing that it wasn't as rare a thing as I'd thought, and I wasn't alone.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"