Alabama Babies
Options

Katie

I remember how funny it was when there were all those April Fools babies on the board, but I don't recall the particulars of Lydia's birth story. Were you planning on going natural to begin with? If you don't mind, I'd like to hear about it.

My plan generally is to stay home for awhile as long as my water doesn't break first. I have been using the hypnobabies home study course since 2nd tri, which is basically a series of tracks I've been listening to help me relax my muscles /focus. And, I have a birthing ball.

Once I to get to the hospital I hope to have a saline lock instead of IV, and intermittent monitoring as long as everything is okay. I want to use the ball, listen to my tracks, and use different labor positions with DH's help.

So,  what helped you the most? Would you do things differently?

I'm getting antsy these days! Trying to stay positive/not stressed though. I know LO will come when he's ready. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Katie

• Options

No not at all, of course I don't mind sharing.  I don't know that I ever posted it.

I had already decided I probably wasn't going to get an epidural.  After our birthing class and talking about it more, my drug allergies, migraines, I just thought about it more and more.  So my mom gave he her old labor book (I've forgotten the name of it) and both Brad and I read it.  Was all about concentration and breathing, old fashioned style, but it REALLY worked!!!

I was a week late so I had to be induced.  We went in at 7am that day and I was hooked up and ready to go by 7:30am.  I am allergic to dermerol (sp?) so I couldn't take staydol (prob sp too?) so they put me on something else - nalbuphine just to help with contractions.  That was all I had.  For 10 hrs.  I was VERY uncomfortable and couldn't lay on my back b/c of the monitors, so I just kept switching to each side.  There was no watching TV or reading or anything as I was in pain with each contraction.  So when I turned to one side I focused on Brad's wedding band, with each contraction and breathed through them. Then when I'd turn on the other side I focused on a piece of paper on the floor (I know, wierd.)

My mom and sis were in the room, I had brought candy, the hospital had drinks for me, etc.  Drinks helped but I threw up after having jolly ranchers.  Never again.

They had to break my water which wasn't bad at all.  I just labored all day and progressed slowly.  I had asked about the possibility of an epidural.  The nurses were my cheerleaders with my family and talked me out of it, and really it was too late for it anyways.  I had progressed too far.  That was around 3-4pm.  Finally around 6pm they said I was close enough to call the dr in.  They did their shift change early.  Apparently I was the talk of L&D b/c the nurses fought over me (I guess it wasn't common for someone to be induced and then go natural).  I had the best nurses and they prepped me well.  The dr came in and I pushed for about 20 min.  I felt like I was in control and while it was painful I was glad I did it that way because I knew what was going on.

The drs told me that the recovery is MUCH easier after going natural (of course I have nothing to compare it to!!!). 

I didn't have a birthing ball, didn't walk around, none of that stuff that you see in the videos or hear about as if the mother is just going about her day.  I layed in that bed controlling those contractions ALL DAY LONG.

I don't know if I'd do anything differently.  I just know that I was open minded about it all and didn't have a plan b/c I had heard that whatever plan you have it doesn't always work that way.  I hope it works out for you but just be prepared to go with whatever makes you comfortable during the process.  Brad would massage my back, help me get comfy, etc.  But I basically wanted to be left alone to concentrate and get through those contractions.

Just stay positive and know that while I would have like to have been able to have walked around, been comfy, etc I just went with what was best in the situation.   And I felt fine (just a little sore) right after.  I only had a small tear and it was easily stitched up and had no problems with it.

Don't stress.  I don't know what it's like to have my water break so I'm no help there.  Just know that he will come when he's ready and you'll be ready!!!  : )

Let me know if I can be of further help!!!  Not much longer, so exciting!!!

Hugs.

• Options

Thanks, Katie! This was really good for me to read.  It's funny how now that I'm much more close, I actually am feeling a lot more 'flexible' about what happens in general. My biggest preference is a vaginal birth over a c section, so I just hope to do what I can for that, even if some of my coping strategies don't pan out at the time. We'll just have to see what works. 

I think it is really encouraging for me to read you did so well being induced. Induction makes me nervous but I just want to do the best I can. Anyway now that I know the story I am super impressed ;)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Sorry to jump in here. But, you mentioned a birthing ball and I just wanted to recommend bringing one to the hospital if you can.

I went into labor naturally and honestly, it wasn't that painful. I waited as long as I could before I went to the hospital... I worked through that morning at the office, even during contractions. After lunch I did laundry, cleaned the house and walked two miles around the neighborhood, all while having contractions. Finally around dinner, it was getting hard so I went ahead and ate because my hospital doesn't allow any food or water once you are admitted into labor/delivery.

I then took a shower and took the time to do my hair, which is one of my best decisions yet. (yes, I guess that's a bit vain, but it looked decent in the birth photos!)

When I got to the hospital I was 6 cm. I labored on the birthing ball most of the time and it helped.. even posting on the bump and facebook while on the birthing ball. Labor wasn't that bad. But, at 8cm, the nurse told me it was my "last chance" at an epidural and I panicked. I wish I had your resolve, Katie! I'm so impressed that you went natural after being induced!

I don't regret getting an epidural last minute because I could still feel when to push and could move my legs some. But, the next time around I hope to go all the way unmedicated.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• Options
    imageMissLMS:

Sorry to jump in here. But, you mentioned a birthing ball and I just wanted to recommend bringing one to the hospital if you can.

I went into labor naturally and honestly, it wasn't that painful. I waited as long as I could before I went to the hospital... I worked through that morning at the office, even during contractions. After lunch I did laundry, cleaned the house and walked two miles around the neighborhood, all while having contractions. Finally around dinner, it was getting hard so I went ahead and ate because my hospital doesn't allow any food or water once you are admitted into labor/delivery.

I then took a shower and took the time to do my hair, which is one of my best decisions yet. (yes, I guess that's a bit vain, but it looked decent in the birth photos!)

When I got to the hospital I was 6 cm. I labored on the birthing ball most of the time and it helped.. even posting on the bump and facebook while on the birthing ball. Labor wasn't that bad. But, at 8cm, the nurse told me it was my "last chance" at an epidural and I panicked. I wish I had your resolve, Katie! I'm so impressed that you went natural after being induced!

I don't regret getting an epidural last minute because I could still feel when to push and could move my legs some. But, the next time around I hope to go all the way unmedicated.

I'm glad you jumped in! I remember you saying the birth ball helped you. The hospital says they provide them, but I think I will put it in the car anyway, just in case something happens or they can't track one down for some reason. Having practiced with it, I can definitely see how helpful they could be. I am hoping for a story like yours.  I would love to be 6 or so when I get there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"